Back-Up Light recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Salvo/Light Monkey Rat Jrs. as my back-ups. Haven't flooded them or had any problems with them overall.

I've had my Photon Torpedo's past 300fsw several times with no problem. Chuck makes a heck of a light.

+1 on the Rat Jr's/Salvo/Light Monkey. Great little light with never any problem.

I've got a pair of Intova 4.7 watt cree LEDs that put out a focused 130 lumen. I've had great success with them so far. I also have a pair of 750 lumen cree LED Bigblue canister lights.

bulights.jpg

lights.jpg

I use a Rat Jr. on my right side, and a Photon Torpedo on the left.

The Intova lights above are a nice, and much less expensive option than the Rat Jr. ... or the UTD light initially asked about. But if you go that route, get the newer ones with the pushbutton switch on the end. The switch shown in the picture has had some issues, and since you're from Oregon you probably dive with either drygloves or heavy neoprene gloves ... making that switch difficult to feel and manipulate ... which is why I prefer backup lights that twist-on. I currently own two of the Intova's like the ones shown, and I don't use them diving anymore (nice camping lights, though).

Raider ... I had a Raider IV, and had problems with it ... as have many other people. I wouldn't own another one. A backup light HAS to work when it's needed ... you can't afford one that's not reliable.

I've had my Rat Jr's and PT's down to 240 fsw in 42 degree water without issues ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a Rat Jr. on my right side, and a Photon Torpedo on the left.

The Intova lights above are a nice, and much less expensive option than the Rat Jr. ... or the UTD light initially asked about. But if you go that route, get the newer ones with the pushbutton switch on the end. The switch shown in the picture has had some issues, and since you're from Oregon you probably dive with either drygloves or heavy neoprene gloves ... making that switch difficult to feel and manipulate ... which is why I prefer backup lights that twist-on.

Raider ... I had a Raider IV, and had problems with it ... as have many other people. I wouldn't own another one. A backup light HAS to work when it's needed ... you can't afford one that's not reliable.

I've had my Rat Jr's and PT's down to 240 fsw in 42 degree water without issues ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've heard that "someone" had the magnetic switch fall out. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but they are captured and unless they were damaged or a factory defect I don't see how it could happed. I like the fact that I'm not relying on dynamic o-rings.

Twist on lights depend on o-rings to keep water out and are abraded by turning them on and off. I've also heard of people backing the light head off too far. Tail caps lights can be prone to damage as well.

I don't dive with dry gloves so I comment on that.

My two lights have about 150 dives on them so far with depths to 200' with no issues.

They all have some failure point one way or the other. I suppose that's why we carry at least three sources of light :D

ETA

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-278721.html

I have two Photon Torpedo LED lights, and an Oxycheq Raider. My dive buddy has two Intova lights. Having used them all I prefer the delrin body/twist on-off head style of light.

As you said, some lights can interfere with a can light. Based on my preference for the delrin lights, I'd look at these shorter backup lights:

UTD Online Store - +1 206 321-0870 - sales@utdequipment.com

Which I believe is made by Light Monkey, and similar to this:

Backup Lights - Light Monkey Enterprises LLC

The only aluminum body light I've used that has a twist on-off head is my Oxycheq Raider. What I don't like about it is that the head twists too easily, there's almost no resistance at all. With my Photon Torpedo lights it takes a deliberate twist to turn the head.

I have no experience with the aluminum UTD light you linked in your message, but if I were considering buying it I would want to know if the head twisted too easily or not. Otherwise, I'd look at the UTD or Light Monkey lights I linked above.

They are only 1/2" longer than the aluminum 3 Watt UTD light you asked about.

Of course that all assumes you'd want a light that used CR123 batteries rather that the 3 AAA's the light you asked about uses.

Take care,
Mitch

Hi -

My current back-up light on the right side interferes with my canister light. I'd like to replace it with a shorter light - 5inch length or less. My preference is a 2 or 3 Watt LED ~ $100.

The light I'm considering is the UTD 3W. It is only 4.5inch long for $118 at DRIS. Can anyone recommend this light? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Brian

Unified Team Diving UTD 3w LED Backup - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I also have the Penetrators (Dorcey). These are the best bag for the buck light there is. The deepest I have been is 200', no problems so far. I am also liking the new Hollis 3W mini light.

I have to agree with Penetrators as well. Well machined so the twist on/off works very well. I like using AAA batteries versus CR123A

Although a little old I thought I'd ad my 2cents to this post. I have 1 or 2 of every one of the new Hollis lights. They are bomb proof. The LED 3 & 5 are rated to 650'

I have two Photon Torpedos, with the LED module. They're fantastic backup lights, and I recommend them without reservation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom