Back-Up Light recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcolcla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi -

My current back-up light on the right side interferes with my canister light. I'd like to replace it with a shorter light - 5inch length or less. My preference is a 2 or 3 Watt LED ~ $100.

The light I'm considering is the UTD 3W. It is only 4.5inch long for $118 at DRIS. Can anyone recommend this light? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Brian

Unified Team Diving UTD 3w LED Backup - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I've had great luck with the OMS Vega lights, cheap, short/small, and bright... and tough. Mines been run over by a truck and trailer/boat combo, some scratches on the aluminum body, but all is well - 400 dives later and counting.

I really like the Dorcey Penetrator lights. We have several of them. They are cheap (bought through Piranha), bright, focused, small, and have yet to fail on us. The only complaint I have is that the hole in the end of the light for the cave line is sharp and cuts the line -- even after fussing with it with a dremel, you still have to watch that line carefully for fraying.

I have a PT LED and a Dorcy Penetrator. The PT is solid, bright enough, and just works. The Dorcy is smaller (nice on the right side) and bright. I would, however, not trust the Dorcy with my life (I'm not diving in any significant overheads). I had one flood on me at 150'. It was replaced free of charge (quickly) and I've taken the replacement down to 190' with no problems, but still, it didn't leave a warm feeling. A friend also had one flood.

Well, I suspect any and all lights CAN flood -- I've flooded a Photon Torpedo, and they have a very good rep.

Was the other flooded Dorcy also at technical depths? I have used mine primarily on rec dives and in caves, and I'm not sure if I've had them to 150 or not.

How did you flood the PT?

The Dorcy flooded through the lens, not where the head meets the body (i.e. it wasn't from me twisting it off).

Friend's flooded at 130' (also through the lens).

As I wrote, the replacement has been fine (probably along for 40 dives past 130'), but the failure of the first one does give me pause.

Not sure how the PT flooded, but it was probably from backing it off just a bit too far.

alternatively, try letting your canister out from the backplate a little. a cheaper solution maybe? :p

I use oxycheq raider 1's twist on/off, short, relatively inexpensive, bright, tough (aluminum) etc. Have yet to have problems with mine, run on 3 AA batteries also work with the oxycheq light sock (goodman handle) if you choose to go on a rec dive and use it as a primary light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom