Back Plate questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pos-tech

Registered
Reaction score
I have been diving a trans pac 2 for about 2 years and have been relativly happy with it, but am now considering buying a back plate harness system. I will still us my rbod oms wings(don't try to talk me out of those):eek:ut:
What makes some back plates better than others, I will be using it for both singles and doubles. What should I look for??

pretty much the same. Some are heavier than others, some are aluminum. Some have more slots and holes in 'em. Watch out for rough cuts, they will cut the life of your harness webbing short. Do a search here, you'll have weeks worth of reading. FredT makes good ones, he's a member here.

mike

Fred's plates give you the widest selection of wings/accessories with their extra holes.
OMS wings are made by Seatec, one of the first companies in the BC market. They're good stuff, & will fit Fred's plates just like they were made for them.

Take a FredT backplate versus, say, a Halcyon BP. The FredT is machined so that it can fit the Halycon rig, and also many others. This means that the FredT BP must have more holes and slots cut into it to accomodate the wide range of fits.

If both BPs weigh the same amount, does this mean that the FredT is a bigger BP overall? Or is the weight loss from the extra slots/holes negligible?

Matt

Give some consideration to a Halcyon. Its my favorite plate for several reasons, electropolish finish among them.

Can you give us more of your reasons why Halcyon is your favorite plate besides being shiny. I agree Halcyon is a nice plate but what makes it better then the other lower priced hunks of Stainless?

Can you give us more of your reasons why Halcyon is your favorite plate ...

Even though it's made out of a lesser grade of SS than the FredT, the Halcyon still has that name tag that folks are happy to shell out an extra hundred bucks for.
:mean:

I own both a Halcyon SS and a FredT AL backplate. Go with the cheaper FredT. There is NO difference-other than price. And I like Halcyon products normally, but I can't find a reason to purchase a Halcyon backplate.

BTW, spend the extra couple of bucks and have Fred hand sand the cuts for you. As mentioned, the rough edges can be tough on your webbing.

I can maybe understand the name when it comes to regulators or computers, but we are talking about a piece of metal. What kind of service for a backplate to you need from a big name company?

IMHO, if the plate has more fitting options and is made out of better and sturdier materials and your saving money, why not go with it. Go with a FredT. He has just as good of a reputation as Halcyon on this board, and I've been very happy with mine. And that way, if you decide to go to another brand of wing later down the road, the FredT will probably fit it.

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom