Back into diving - so many choices for regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some of the names have changed... and so have the prices!

My original setup in 1988 (U.S. Divers and Oceanic) cost about $900 for all their top of the line stuff... now I'm looking close to $2 grand! But at least I can afford it now. :)

I've been researching the Aqua Lung Legend ACD LX and the Mares Abyss 22 and then I came across one of the packages at Scubatoys...

They have the Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5 on clearance for $399.00 and part of a package with their Zeagle Brigade, Oceanic Datamax II Pro computer... this is soooo tempting for the money.

I do primarily warm weather diving (Florida oceans, occasional cavern, and maybe travel to Hawaii or Carribean) so I don't need an ice-proof regulator. Basically well-built, reliable, travel-ready, easy to get service, and resistance adjustable.

Any feedback on either of these regulators?

Mares Abyss 22
Aqua Lung Legend ACD LX
Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5

I just purchased the close out Scuba Toys has going on right now for the Aeris Atmos Pro. Several local tech folks love it so I decided to try it out. For $200 who can complain. It should be in my hot little hands on Wednesday!

I have purchased from Scuba Toys a number of times and they always take care of me and give me great service whether I am spending $10 or several hunderd.

If you are looking for a high end regulator set up, I wouldn't be looking at any of these. I have heard good things about the Aqua Lung Legend, but take a good look at the Scubapro MK25/ S600 or X650. I believe that you should be able to find a shop to service either one of them pretty much anywhere in the world. Also, I think the warranties of both companies are about the same, i.e. free parts for life, and lifetime warranty.

Hey Qball. Do you come to Florida often? The Diver's Direct Superstores have Oceanic, Mares, and I believe Zeagle, too. You can check it all out under one big roof.

Like you, I got back into diving after some time off. Two years ago I bought Oceanic. Not the most expensive, either. No problem after about 100 dives. The Zeagle Ranger is the Florida favorite BC, and I could not afford it, and bought a Sherwood. There's not a bad choice in the list you have. And... those three manufacturers also offer some "less bulky" gear for divers that travel.

Welcome back and happy diving!

The delta 3 is a really nice reg, my Instructor's wife uses one, and I borrowed it on a deep dive to check it out, and I was very impressed with it. Sounds like a pretty sweet price on it as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom