Back-Inflated and Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I don't want to spend an extra 40 to buy the steel plate, should I get the ABS or the Aluminum plate.

Or is there some enormous advantage to getting a steel plate.

The only reason not to buy a steel plate is if you already know you will dive exclusively in tropical waters, using 3mm wetsuits or thinner (2mm, skins). Otherwise, by saving 40 bucks you will flush 80 percent of the BP/W's advantages down the tube. Keep in mind that they make steel plates for a reason. They put the weight were it should be: right between your lungs and the tank.That's how you get that awesome trim in the water. With an alu or plastic plate, you will have to carry much more weight on your belt.

When I calculated the DSS system, it was over 500 for a hogarthian type. I like to buy top of the line stuff so I will not hve to replace it, and for a full TransPac system, it would be less than 500

When I calculated the DSS system, it was over 500 for a hogarthian type. I like to buy top of the line stuff so I will not hve to replace it, and for a full TransPac system, it would be less than 500

Just wondering, did you price out the parts seperately? Or did you use the rig configurator:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator
The reason I ask is because the most expensive option I can find for a hog rig on the DSS site is $465, and some configurations are less.

Tell me what advantage a SS backplate has over an aluminum plate for travel if you also carry this:
OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket

You can load it with a few sea pearl bags at your destination. It puts the weight in the same location. No extra drag like pockets. It even will allow some slight weight trim if needed. Yes an additional $18 but that is a lot less than the difference in price of SS vs AL backplates.

From Dss a "Single Tank Rig w/ Medium Hybrid Kydex plate, Pro-Fit Harness, LCD 30 Single Tank Wing w/ 22 mil Bladder" = $473.

Now here is my suggestion and let the rest debate the validity of it:
OMS Aluminum Backplate with Harness (BP-120-S) from LeisurePro.com
Nice harness with a single shoulder release. Add in the weight sausage in my earlier post:
OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, OxyCheq Sausage Weight Pocket
Next add a wing that will handle the most weight you are likely to carry for the diving you like to do. I personally have a OMS 45# bungee wing the bungees help empty the wing and lower it's drag and inherint buoyancy. Many will suggest smaller wings which I won't argue but will say I see no need for smaller that a 30# particularly if you will use it in cooler waters.
The STA is a choice there are some that are lighter weight like the OxyCheq Mini but as stated you can go without a STA.
Need more weight add your choice of pockets to fill your requirements.

Well, the hog still isn't the top of the line model.

Not sure what you mean by "top of the line" but you should base your decision on whether to get a Hogarthian system or not on whether you want to dive a Hogarthian system or not. It has nothing to do with what is considered "top of the line." If you feel that a transpac is more top of the line than a DSS rig, go for it. I would prefer DSS stuff over a transpac any time. Keep in mind that the idea of a Hogarthian setup is about simplicity, which is intrinsically different from the "top of the line approach." A DSS hog rig with a 30 lbs wing comes to $465 as far as I can remember.

You can load it with a few sea pearl bags at your destination. It puts the weight in the same location. No extra drag like pockets. It even will allow some slight weight trim if needed. Yes an additional $18 but that is a lot less than the difference in price of SS vs AL backplates.

Many / (most?) travel destinations have only block weight available. Are you going to bring the lead shot with you? If soft weights are available are you planning to purchase them, cut them open and pour the lead shot into the sausage? What do you do when you travel home or to the next stop on your trip? Repeat as necessary? That doesn't seem to versatile, cost effective, or even responsible.

Your argument is versatility. What's more versatile than a SS plate that you can use at home and when traveling?

Look at the typical warm water rig, 3mm wetsuit + an al 80. The wet suit is about +4 lbs buoyant, and the empty 80 is about +4. That means you need about 8 lbs of ballast. A SS plate and harness is about -6 and reg is about -2. Bingo! Many divers use nothing but the plate, harness and reg for ballast in warm water.

The advantages of a SS plate in cold water should be pretty obvious.

Why have lightweight plates at all? Big steel doubles in warm fresh water is one good reason.

Travel to places that require cutting your tooth brush in half is another.

Most people don't see either extreme. That leaves SS plates as a better choice for most, even those that travel a bit.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom