Back-Inflated and Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlvrDragon50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

I just got certified yesterday but I've been looking around here for awhile since I'll need to get myself some gear soon...

I've noticed that a large portion of the people here favor the Wings and stuff over regular jackets but I have not seen a reason why.

Also, could someone suggest a good starting combo less then 800? I already have boots, fins, and mask.

A backplate and wing is streamlined, very stable in the water and very adaptable as it is modular and pieces can be added or changed as your needs evolve.

I second DA Aquamaster, And plus chicks dig em.

So is the Wing system basically just the air bladder and a plate to hold the tank?

And this would require a weight belt correct?

Yes youll need weight pockets one on each side.If you get a steel backplate youll need less weight.With a steel tank you may not need any weight.

So is the Wing system basically just the air bladder and a plate to hold the tank?

And this would require a weight belt correct?

A weight belt if needed (dependant on the tank/s, wetsuit, drysuit)would be the preferred way to add weight but many people put pockets on the harness or tank straps of the BP/Wing.

Check out the Deep Sea Supply website for alot of info. I like that you fit the harness to you so it's a custom fit. You don't need to fit some manufacturers idea of what size you are.

Well, I like the integrated weight system since my dive belt continuously spun in circles while I was diving.

Is this system good for beginner divers?

Well, I like the integrated weight system since my dive belt continuously spun in circles while I was diving.

Is this system good for beginner divers?

It's great for beginning divers. You can just as easily put weight pockets on a BP/W as you can a standard BC. You can even get quick release weight pockets if you want them.

There are at least 100 threads in the last year that discuss the relative merits of BP/W set ups vs standard BCs. If you do a search you'll find several, and you can read for weeks!

Some nice things about the BP/W set up for new divers are:
1. The precision of weight distribution will help you fine tune your trim and buoyancy. It is possible to do this with a standard BC, but IMO it's easier with the BP/W.
2. There is very little inherent buoyancy and no extra fabric/padding/cummerbund/(insert useless accessory here).
3. A steel plate helps to offset the buoyancy of an AL tank, and puts the weight right where you need it, between the two sources of buoyancy which are your lungs and the wing.
4. You can easily get a customized fit with the harness, and once that's done, it's very simple and functional.

Have fun reading, you're going to get lots of opinions. This is one topic that most people can't seem to resist posting about, no matter how many trillions of times the topic comes up.:wink:

Alright.

I looked on DSS and the harnesses looked so confusing :(

Thanks

Actually, I think I may have used a BP/W when I first dived in Australia ( I was uncertified then so I didn't know all this)..

I was holding onto a person the whole time so I dont really remember buoyancy too much...

I just looked at Leisurepro.com

What do you think of this package:

Diverite Transpac Harness
Dive-Rite Travel Wings (30lbs)
Dive-Rite ABS Plastic Back Plate

Comes out to 424.90

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom