Back inflate BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, correct. And you've hit the nail on the head. If you have multiple failures, I see you are deciding how much lead to shed to make a relatively controlled ascent. Not an uncontrolled dump of everything.

So what did you decide, now that this thread has come full circle? Hydros Pro? Seahawk? Knighthawk? Oceanic?

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Zeagle Brigade. $550 at Scubatoys, built like a tank and the best integrated weight system out there. I love the ripcord weight system, no special proprietary weight pockets to purchase. Some of these pockets cost upwards of $100 and manufacturers change the designs yearly, so three or four years down the road good luck finding a replacement pocket. The only issue I have found is the pockets. If you are diving in a prone position (which I know we all do) the pockets open from the bottom.

Another vote for the Aqualung dimension non-I3. Love mine. Very easy to don and doff.

You can adjust the straps so on land most of the weight is supported by the hip belt, like a hiking backpack. This makes long walks to shore dives much more comfortable. If you only boat dive ignore this :)

The slot to hold your gauges works very well with my single pressure gauge on a stiff hose, but was not so good on a triple gauge heavy console on a thin flexible hose.

I give the weight pockets a good tug on the flaps to make sure they are secure after I've put them in. Never an issue, even when overloaded to 12lbs each.

Yes, correct. And you've hit the nail on the head. If you have multiple failures, I see you are deciding how much lead to shed to make a relatively controlled ascent. Not an uncontrolled dump of everything.

So what did you decide, now that this thread has come full circle? Hydros Pro? Seahawk? Knighthawk? Oceanic?

I am checking which are the prices locally but between Hydros Pro, Seahawk and Black Ice.

Thank you everyone for all the inputs.

Excluding the ones designed exclusively for travelling (no/soft back plates):

Scubapro Hydros Pro cool but it's costly.
Mares Pure SLS very nice and relatively cheap.

I ordered one through Leisurepro by ordered the Hybrid Pure, which they no longer sell, and having them swap it out with a Pure SLS. Ended up paying $230 for it. Girlfriend bought one the same way. Pretty much a steal at that price.

I don't know the prices there in (the USA?) ..what do you mean that the SLS for $230 is a steal? There's anything comparable for less .. or? (back inflate, weight pockets, same/comparable quality).
The pure SLS here in Europe is priced around 250€ (around $310 tax included).

I am checking which are the prices locally but between Hydros Pro, Seahawk and Black Ice.

Thank you everyone for all the inputs.

Hey David, just curious what you ended up buying and what your experience with it has been like so far. I was considering the same 3 BCDs plus the Aqualung Rogue, shortlisted it to the Apeks Black Ice & ScubaPro Seahawk but unfortunately the only dive shop in Kuwait that sells ScubaPro gear doesn't stock any of their back inflation BCDs, and I'm weary of buying a BCD without trying it. So that leaves me with the Apeks Black Ice, which I'll be trying again soon (in the store only).

I too would like to know the outcome of this?

I won't be doing any travelling with mine, and will almost always be wearing a 7mm wetsuit.

Hydros Pro looks great, but a bit out there on price.

Love my Apeks Black Ice. Have been diving it for over a year now, love it.

I went ahead and bought one (SM/MD) and had the shoulder and waist moved down to the lowest setting (diving in rash guard & swim shorts only) it fits great and I love diving with it. However, on the surface it tends to ride up a little bit (not as much as jacket BCDs though). A few people here including the store owner custom tailored a crotch strap for theirs to keep it in place. Do you have any similar issues with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom