Back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I don't understand how people can buy a BC without trying it on. It's an expensive purchase - the 1.5 hours each way is absolutely worth it.

I made several trips to an area about an hour away researching my purchase.

I found I absolutely, strongly hated the feel of all the Aqualung ones. Now, that's me - others are happy with them. I went for Oceanic Excursion just recently. Aqualung Dimension was the first one I was particularly interested in researching online. Had I gone with that, sight unseen, I would have been very unhappy.

If you're not travelling with it then you probably can rule out the travel oriented ones.

Plenty of threads on the Aqualung i3 inflator on here - general feedback is positive.
With a BPW you don't need to try it on because you custom fit it to you. The only variable for the majority of divers is how much webbing you need. Most harness kits come with enough to fit just about anyone unless they are close to sasquatch size. I have a student who fits that description. Issue solved with spending 20 bucks on a new piece of webbing and actually came out to 5 because he got 15 for the stock length that came with it. Even so called comfort harnesses can be adjusted in ways that no jacket bc can.

With a BPW you don't need to try it on because you custom fit it to you. The only variable for the majority of divers is how much webbing you need. Most harness kits come with enough to fit just about anyone unless they are close to sasquatch size. I have a student who fits that description. Issue solved with spending 20 bucks on a new piece of webbing and actually came out to 5 because he got 15 for the stock length that came with it. Even so called comfort harnesses can be adjusted in ways that no jacket bc can.
No or Yes!
For an absolute beginner who has no prior knowledge on either jacket or BP/W would be impossible to gauge the difference.
For anyone who has no prior knowledge on BP/W it is also not that simple: quick release, comfort pack, harness webbing, weight pocket etc etc.

OP has specified NO BP/W so I would just leave it there.

I looked into the Zeagle Ranger, but I don't like the rip cord weight system. Looks like you could lose weights is it's not done up correctly.
There are a lot of misconceptions about the Ripcord System, and most are not true.

I can think of only two ways to accidentally lose weights with the Ripcord System.
1. Using small pencil style weights that may fit through the webbing. Most standard weights won’t be a problem, or you could get the “Yellow Thingies” to put the weights in before going in the pocket.
2. Forgetting to zip up the top of the weight pocket. Easily corrected.

If you do happen to accidentally lose weights for whatever reason, you don’t need a special pocket to use with the BC.

Rethreading the ripcord does take a bit more time than inserting weight pockets, it it’s really not that bad. I’ve done it a few times to practice, and it doesn’t take long at all. If you pay attention, it’s hard to thread it wrong. The ripcord itself is very secure. I’ve got lots of dives on mine, and never even came close to accidentally pulling it.

Although it wasn't on your list, I'll throw in my unsolicited 2 cents on the scubapro hydros pro.
Bottom line- it's a fine bcd, does everything it claims to do, is comfortable, quality construction, etc....but I'd say in no way worth the price. While diving I can't identify any specific benefits of it over any of the other half dozen or so bcds I've dived with, so I'd say look elsewhere if price is any sort of consideration. I'm considering selling mine and picking up a hollis hd 200 (haven't yet tried one on, so tbd) or something similar.
That said, if you do end up with one I think you'll be happy with it in terms of its performance.
FWIW!

Plenty of recreational only divers do BP/W. Is that your only reason for not getting one?
A BP/wing will fold up smaller than a full-size BCD. They have better buoyancy characteristics with the lift behind you and around the tank. To a certain extent they're more flexible - change to a heavier steel backplate if diving 'cold' or aluminium if 'warm'. Far easier to mount a pony cylinder. Clearer around the front.

Just avoid the i3. A complex, expensive solution to a non-existant problem.

My old BC is from a dive shop whom the owner ripped his customers off by charging too much for the equipment, and is not a name brand BC. It is showing its age and wearing out. Since it is not a name brand BC I can't get replacement parts for it. So want to upgrade before something does break on it.

Did you purchase the BC used, or new?

Your profile says you've got 50~99 dives. I can't imagine wearing out a new BC in that time. You probably won't need replacement parts or have something "break" until you've done 5x or 10x more dives, so that doesn't seem (to me) like an important criteria for buying a new BC right now. By the time it has worn out, you'll have a much greater understanding of your own style and aspirations in diving that you'll be able to answer the question of "what BC to get" (or you'll have completely different parameters than you're asking now).

You've said that you don't care for this BCD. Is there any reason other than a poor purchase experience and it being a non-name brand? Do you dislike the fit, amount of lift, weight placement/release, closure system, number/placement of D-rings, etc, etc?

With the exception of a very few (and very pricey) materials choices (ie., Scubapro Hydros), most "name brand" BCDs differ from non-name-brand equipment mainly by having a logo sewn on somewhere.

With the exception of a very few (and very pricey) materials choices (ie., Scubapro Hydros), most "name brand" BCDs differ from non-name-brand equipment mainly by having a logo sewn on somewhere.

But but but logos are so amazing. Sewn on mediocre Chinese made tat it transforms it into high quality goods.

Brand = (cheap) Product + (expensive) Personality

Think of a tick on $5 trainers.

OP has specified NO BP/W so I would just leave it there.
You do know that everyone who posts a BCD question on ScubaBoard must be pushed into a BP/W, even if they specifically state that they don't want one, right? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom