Back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, looking into upgrading my current BC, which is currently a back inflate that I don't care for. I am not interested in a BP/W as I will not be doing doubles, tech dives, cave, and/or penetration dives. I only dive Rec dives on reefs on outside of wrecks with a max depth of 120 feet. Any suggestions on a really good Back Inflate would appreciated. I have been looking at the Hollis HD200, Apeks Black Ice, AquaLung Dimension, and even the AquaLung Rogue and Outlaw. My nearest LDS is 1.5 hrs away. So kind of hard to go try the fit of a BC.

I use BP/W for either rec or tec dive. The only difference is the size of the wing.

Plenty of recreational only divers do BW/P. Is that your only reason for not getting one?

I don't see the need of the "modularity" of it if you will. Ok, I change my wing, plate, etc... to fit what I am diving, but my diving doesn't change. And I don't see it changing from what it currently is. Right now the only benefit I see for me is I can get a new wing when one gets damaged (gets a hole or wore out, etc...).

Let's start with don't you like about your current one. Is it fit?

Next question is what temperature are you diving ie what kind of exposure protection, which affects lift needed.

When I don't dive my bpw I use a dimension backinflate which is good for a non bpw. It has a solid part in the back which provides lumbar support (I have back injuries so that's important to me). I don't really like the weight system but I don't really like any of them so not really an issue.

It really if what fits you best.

Let's start with don't you like about your current one. Is it fit?

Next question is what temperature are you diving ie what kind of exposure protection, which affects lift needed.

When I don't dive my bpw I use a dimension backinflate which is good for a non bpw. It has a solid part in the back which provides lumbar support (I have back injuries so that's important to me). I don't really like the weight system but I don't really like any of them so not really an issue.

It really if what fits you best.

My old BC is from a dive shop whom the owner ripped his customers off by charging too much for the equipment, and is not a name brand BC. It is showing its age and wearing out. Since it is not a name brand BC I can't get replacement parts for it. So want to upgrade before something does break on it.

Temps range from Florida Keys tropical diving down to low 60's in a 7mill wetsuit and hood.

My brother has a Diemsion with the I3 system on it. And he loves it.

7mm I would dimension instead of outlaw or Rouge. Zeagle ranger is also a good choice.

I actually like the weight system on the ranger better. But I like the back support of the dimension better.

They don't make the dimension with i3 anymore and I've never used one so can't comment on it.

I looked into the Zeagle Ranger, but I don't like the rip cord weight system. Looks like you could lose weights is it's not done up correctly.

I looked into the Zeagle Ranger, but I don't like the rip cord weight system. Looks like you could lose weights is it's not done up correctly.

More likely to lose with the locking one.

The I3 system is a pretty radical departure from standard design. I have never used one, so I can not be critical, other than to be confident when I say it is DIFFERENT.

Since it is so different, I think the logical thing to do is determine if s/he wants one. If so, then the options are limited. If the OP rules it out, then there are a lot of other options.

I think the difference between an I3 is much greater than the difference between a back inflate BC and a BP/W. Maybe I am incorrect in my perspective?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom