Back Inflate BC vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Hog rigs are never as comfortable as a back inflate BC.

I suspect that Pete's comment was meant to reflect his personal experience. As for me, my Hog rigs are much more comfortable than my back inflate BC. In fact my Chute 2 stays in the closet. I took it out and used it a while back... it went back into the closet immediately.

Of course, that is only my personal preference. It may not apply to you, Matt.

Stephen Ash:
I suspect that Pete's comment was meant to reflect his personal experience.
I think it important to point out that MOST of us comment from our personal experiences. What is comfortable to YOU, might not be for me! I once had a comment that my BP/WIng must not be set up right for me to make that comment. After having this person adjust and re-adjust it for me for an hour, we returned to the adjustment that I was already operating with as the best one for me. I simply don't like the way they feel on me on the surface and they provide no additional comfort or control under the water.

However, nothing else supports doubles like my BPs. That's when I prefer them over everything else!

NetDoc:
I think it important to point out that MOST of us comment from our personal experiences.

Agreed. It was just that your statement, "Hog rigs are never as comfortable as a back inflate BC" might be interpretted by some as an 'end of the story' kinda deal. I knew what you meant... just didn't want Matt to get the wrong idea. :D

NetDoc:

Wow.

Never is a big word......:shocked:

I currently own a DSS single rig BP/W with a hog harness. You can get it with a pro-fit harness if you have some flexibiltiy issues. I love this thing. It is easier to achieve a horizontal position underwater which will probably become even better once I distribute some weight from my weight belt/harness. Once I had the straps adjusted right, this whole rig was like glued on your body underwater, practically no shifting. I like it's clean, uncluttered look (can be negated if you hang enough stuff from the d-rings). One thing I really like about the BP/W set-up is that it's modular. Should I decide to decide to move on to doubles, I only really need to get a new wing (at least) instead of buying a whole new BC (do they even have one for doubles?). Packing is a breeze (I've tried it too :D ). I'm pretty sure I'd love this setup even more as I get more dives in it. The possible negatives. It's a tad on the heavy side but lighter aluminum and plastic backplates are available. Getting in and out of the hog harness takes some getting used to.

Sorry this was long. Good luck with your selection.[/QUOTE]

What he said. I have a DSS too and love it for the small amount of time I've spent in the water with it. It can only get better..

I own the Seaquest Balance as well as a backplate and a couple wings.

I much prefer the Balance for warm water recreational diving and for air travel. It packs light and small, is very comfortable, and since I use little or no weight with a 3 mm wetsuit or less I have no need for a plate.

For cold water drysuit diving I need more weight so then I appreciate the SS backplate. Also like the extra attachment points for the stage bottles, reels, liftbags, etc. I use when doing cave or tech diving. When using a single tank (steel) the backplate and weighted STA get me to where I only need 6 lbs. on my weightbelt, which I do appreciate. I needed 22-24 lbs. when I used a BC for dry diving.

No amount of board surfing can replace what you will learn by getting out and diving with various gear configurations. Buy, borrow, rent, or trade--but dive!!

theskull

NetDoc:
I don't want to unduely harp on this comment, as the personal experience angle has already been discussed. Nevertheless, I think exposure protection choice may play into the comfort of a plate. I either dive dry or with a 7/7 wetsuit, and I've found that the decreased bulk of a backplate is more comfortable in those suits than my old DiveRite Transpac II, which had plenty of padding, etc. I wouldn't expect the same comfort in a dive skin, but I'd still expect comfort.

Matt,

In my case, it has more to do with flexibility or lack thereof. Once adjusted correctly, there is no way to loosen/adjust shoulder straps in situ. It's hard to get in and out of it and with a 3 mil (my suit of choice) or with no protection at all, the straps pinch.

Hog rigs were designed with minimalism in mind: NOT COMFORT. Heck, the first one was a scavanged stop sign! They do great at providing a stable base for large tanks or doubles. However, calling them "as comfortable" as a padded BC, is like calling a Jeep as comfortable as a Caddilac! You don't drive a Jeep for it's quiet comfy ride. You might find it's comfort level acceptable, but it was never designed to be as comfy or as adjustable as a traditional BC. No, you tolerate the jolts and the harshness because the Jeep can get you through certain terrain where the caddy can't.

My first BCD (which I have and is now collecting dust) is the Black Diamond. Whenever I used it, I felt like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, and I didn't like the fact that I was stuck with what I had as far as configuration is concerned. So I went out on a limb and got myself a haclyon BP with the Eclipse wing, and I'm glad I did! The rig is streamlined and almost felt like it wasn't even there. Another feature of the BP design that I like is it's extremely flexible configuration.

I'm not sure if alot of LDS do this, but I recently found out that my LDS will rent out a BP system and fit it up to you for a reasonable fee, and will subtract the price of the rental fee from the BP system if you purchase it. So if you're interested this may be a way for you to test the waters before diving in. What it all boils down to is what you're comfortable with.

Good luck!

I heard the comfort issue with SS plates from one of my LDS's trying to sell me a Transpac. He said if I wasn't wearing a thick wet suit that the SS BP would be uncomfortable. I bought the DSS plate, and since I'm a big guy, I bought the big plate. As uncomfortable as that thing looks just sitting there, I don't even feel it on my back. I can don and doff the whole rig with a nuetral AL 80, 6lb SS plate, 8lb weight plates, and 16lbs of extra weight on it without a problem. I can see where this might be a problem if you couldn't "chicken wing it" to get out of it, or if you have problems lifting it to put it on :D Once it's up, it's like there's nothing there. It seems to hug my back and the weight is so close to me, I don't have to lean forward with it on. It just sits there like it's part of me.

I brought it in to where I work so my buddy could see it, he was very skeptical. He thought it looked like some SM torture device. After he put it on, you could see the shock in his eyes. Even with the straps adjusted way too big for him, he still felt no discomfort. He's looking into one now :wink:

I can't speak to the comfort of other BP's, but the DSS one is like there's nothing there. Even when I put it on to show it off with just a T-shirt. I really like the hog harness too. It's more comfortable than the BC jacket I was renting, and easier for me to doff and don. I actually couldn't get the BC jacket with a tank on by myself unless I was sitting. The BP/wing, I can sling right up on my shoulder, then put my other arm through and I'm in it. I love that thing! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom