back in the saddle ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After a six month layoff, I got my first day back in the cave today. Arrived in JAX yesterday around noon ... after a long day on short sleep ... and pulled into The Outpost around 4 PM, having arrived by way of High Springs to pick up some tanks and do some shopping. Slept pretty good last night.

Woke up this morning around 4:30 feeling like a kid on Christmas Day ... just rarin' to get up and go. My buddies, Dave and Mark, had already been here a couple days, and they were sleeping in. The wait was killin' me.

Our plan was for today to be a "warmup" for me to get my head back into the caves before my Full Cave class, which starts tomorrow. We were heading to Peacock, and thinking to do both sides of the Grand Traverse ... starting with the Orange Grove to Challenge side, and then heading off to P1 to see how far we could go.

Things didn't exactly go according to plan.

We got to the site, geared up and got in the water. Dave had replaced a HP hose after yesterday's dives, and had a leak around his SPG. He decided that we shouldn't wait for him to fix it, and told me and Mark to go ahead with our dive ... which we did.

I was leading, since I wanted some reel work before the class. Putting in the reel went OK, although I did have a minor case of "tunnel vision" and missed some opportunities for better tie-offs. But overall I kept it low, tight to the wall, and was fairly pleased with myself ... it's a lot easier when there's little to no flow. We tied in, dropped our O2 bottles near the sign, and off we went.

The first 20 minutes or so were a little shakey ... not for any reason other than myself, having not been in a cave for six months, coming down with a case of "tell me again why I'm doing this" ... that little devil sitting on my shoulder was messing with my mind, and I could tell I was all tensed up and working at it harder than I should be. But by the time we were six or seven hundred feet in I was remembering that I'd been here before and had a good time, and I could feel my breathing rate calming down as muscles relaxed into a rhythm of kick, glide, kick, glide ... slow down enough to feel the joy of being here. A little catfish swam by, looking totally bewildered ... poor thing, I wished he had the sense to just follow the gold line out. Then we hit a section where there were, literally, hundreds of little arthopods swimming up out of the mud ... tiny little half-inch wormlike critters swimming straight up ... and I stopped, put out my finger, and let one swim into me just to see what it would do. It bounced off ... probably never realizing that wasn't a rock it just swam into. I was fascinated ... and stayed put until Mark, who was behind me, signaled asking me if I was OK. I returned signal and started moving again.

Our plan had been to go past Challenge if gas allowed, and to drop a cookie at our turn point, but at 100 feet from the sink I checked my gas and decided that I was close enough to thirds that there wasn't much point in going past it ... so I gave Mark the signal that we'd surface at Challenge and put a spool on the end of the line ... and up we went for a really nice, relaxing 20 minute surface interval. Life was good.

As we started back, Mark had just gotten down to the turn and I was about six feet below the surface pulling the spool when he signaled for me to go back up ... a team of three was coming in, and we decided to wait to see what they were going to do before heading out. They surfaced next to us, and we bid them a nice dive and headed back.

The dive back was real relaxing. There ain't much flow to worry about, but what little was there was helping us along ... kick, glide, relax ... the trip back was quicker and more relaxing than the trip in ... and before I was really ready for it, we were back at the sign. Clipped in my O2 bottle, pulled the reel, and headed for the entrance.

Although with the depths and times we didn't really have any deco obligation, we still opted to do five minutes on O2, thinking that it couldn't hurt. We found Dave waiting for us when we got out ... all fixed up and ready for a dive.

About five minutes into our surface interval, one of the favorite people I've met in this caving activity ... Carl Griffing ... pulled in. Carl's from Texas, and has been down here for about six weeks, heading home tomorrow. He'd stopped by The Outpost to settle his bill, heard that I was at Peacock, and drove over to see me before heading home. That was awful nice, and my only disappointment was that I wouldn't get a chance to dive with him on this trip. But we took a long, nearly two hour SI before he finally headed out.

At that point, we decided to change plans and go do the same dive again, since Dave didn't get a chance to do it in the morning, and I said I like the dive and wouldn't mind doing it twice in the same day.

But we were only about 20 minutes into the second dive when Dave, who was in the #3 spot, got our attention and signaled a turnaround. I couldn't discern exactly what the problem was, but after ascertaining that it wasn't an emergency we dutifully turned the dive and headed out. The dive was uneventful, but about 10 seconds after I pulled the reel ... out in the basin, my primary light died. Hmmm ... what's up with that?? I turned it back on again, and ascended to 20 feet ... about a minute later it died again. This time, since I could see just fine without it, I flipped the switch off and stowed it. We ascended after a short, 40 minute dive, and Dave said he was having some physical discomfort that was taking his head out of the game, and he hoped we didn't mind but he just wasn't comfortable continuing. Nope, I don't mind at all ... I want dive buddies who'll make that call when they're not bringing their A-game. Besides, at least that way we weren't a thousand feet into the cave when my light died.

Actually, the thing I really need to figure out is how to not take so much duckweed with me when I get outta the water ... I came out completely green, and the stuff was falling of in clumps as I headed up the stairs. Man, that stuff gets into everything.

Overall, it wasn't the day we'd planned, but I got a bit more than 2 hours in the cave today, and that's a good warmup before class. Right now I'm feelin' pretty good and looking forward to tomorrow, when I'll get on with the class that brought me down here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

that all sounds great, except for dave just not feelin' it. i hope he's back in the game tomorrow.

and i was thinking while i was reading that i don't remember ever having the 'what are you *doing* down here?' devil. i guess it's a matter of time...

best of all good luck in the class. i bet you'll do great. tell jim 'hey' for me.

Glad you had a good day! Every time I go to the caves, the first day I feel like a bull in a china shop. It gets better . . . thank goodness.

How long are you in Florida, Bob? Any plans to head to Marianna?

How long are you in Florida, Bob? Any plans to head to Marianna?

Not this trip, Rob ... but if this class goes well, my next trip to Florida will be entirely in Marianna.

I'll be here until Saturday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good for you to take baby steps when getting back into the caves. I remember one of the worst double fatalities occured at Madison,and one of the factors was the guys were from a significant distance from cave country. They would come 1-2 times per year,and would make their first dive where they had left off the trip before. There wasn't the progression with easier to more complex dives.

I had a really good day.

Hooked up with Jim and another fellow (Richard) for the first dive of the day. Jim wanted us to do a circuit today ... P1 up the Peanut Tunnel to the Crossover, then back toward P1 until we hit thirds, drop a cookie and turn around. We made it about a hundred feet past where the line goes thru that little hole in the wall and I turned on tired ... I was still about 200 psi or so shy of thirds, but I figure we did at least 1500 feet to that point and we had to go back. That was plenty. On the way back, we did some air sharing drills and a lost buddy drill. Except for two minor snafus, the dive went exceptionally well. One snafu was that while I was setting the spool on the second jump I let my feet get a little high and got too much air in my boots. I'm using different socks down here than at home, and I got a catawhampus getting my feet back in my boots. Stirred up a bit of silt ... not enough to really mess up the vis, but enough to make me cuss at myself for getting in that situation. The second snafu was more an embarrassment than anything ... I forgot to connect the quick-disconnect on the P-valve, and realized it only after ... well ... you get the idea. Fortunately it didn't affect my trim. Anyway, the dive was 88 minutes, and I came out feeling pretty good overall. Jim said I'd improved noticeably since he last saw me, and he felt the dive went well.

Second dive we went in the Olson side, picked up the cookie, pulled the jump spools and completed the circuit. Nothing went wrong ... even the lost line drill went pretty smoothly. I found the line after only about a 3 or 4 minute search ... I did go the wrong way up the line, thought that I had after a minute or so but decided not to second-guess myself and proceed in that direction until I could find an arrow. Once I did I turned around and headed out with more certainty ... and speed ... until Jim stopped the exercise. That dive was 74 minutes and, I think, about a half-mile circuit.

I haven't done that much kicking since the last time I was down here ... and I'm tired .... but more confident now about succeeding in this class. Tomorrow we visit my nemesis ... Ginnie. That place has kicked my ass every time I've been there ... hopefully all those workouts I've been doing since January will pay dividends when I have my date with the Devil ...

PS - amazingly, Peacock was almost totally deserted today. Where the heck IS everybody? Besides us, there was one other car at P1 all day long. Heck, even the mosquitos seem to be a lot less in evidence than usual. The ranger lady told us there had been only one team of divers at Orange Grove all day long.

The Outpost is similarly deserted. Besides the three of us, there's just one other couple here this week-end.

It IS Memorial Day week-end ... right?? I figured there'd be a lot more divers out and about ... :idk:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We did 6 dives this weekend and only saw 1 other team while in the cave. AWESOME how slow things were!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom