Trip Report Back in the high life, part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, I have been gone since June 16. I made reservations for this trip soon after I got back home. I spent a lot of time agonizing whether to return or not, considering how dismally Florida is doing. As I am able to control my human interaction quite strictly, I decided to go ahead with the trip.

The airport in Philadelphia was busier than a month ago but still, way below normal. Most of the vendors are still closed. The AA Admirals Club is back open, but quite changed. They walk back each visitor and set you up with a distanced space. They bring you a snack bag and a drink. The bathrooms are open. Everyone wore face coverings in the airports and for the entire flight. I rented a car from National. Everyone wore masks. Tne facility in West Palm was a study in confusion. Tne Emerald Aisle pick up was closed and there was a sign for everyone to go to the Enterprise area. The folks at Enterprise were overwhelmed and not very efficient. Needless to say, I was not able to choose a car, but I eventually was on my way. I made my one stop at the grocery store for the week and settled in to my townhouse.

Now the good news, first day dives. I went out of Boynton Beach with Loggerhead, Capt Jim and mate Josh. I was able to do two of my favorite dives, outside 007 to Gulfstream and outside Sharkie's Ledge to Briney Breezes. There was a brisk north current, visibility was about 60 feet, water temp was 82-83 degrees . Highlights were a large Goliath Grouper, a big Bull Shark, a couple of Loggerheasds, and all my friends, the usual reef fish. Two really excellent solo dives.

So up to Jupiter tomorrow for a dive on wreck trek and a reef...

So, I have been gone since June 16. I made reservations for this trip soon after I got back home. I spent a lot of time agonizing whether to return or not, considering how dismally Florida is doing. As I am able to control my human interaction quite strictly, I decided to go ahead with the trip.

The airport in Philadelphia was busier than a month ago but still, way below normal. Most of the vendors are still closed. The AA Admirals Club is back open, but quite changed. They walk back each visitor and set you up with a distanced space. They bring you a snack bag and a drink. The bathrooms are open. Everyone wore face coverings in the airports and for the entire flight. I rented a car from National. Everyone wore masks. Tne facility in West Palm was a study in confusion. Tne Emerald Aisle pick up was closed and there was a sign for everyone to go to the Enterprise area. The folks at Enterprise were overwhelmed and not very efficient. Needless to say, I was not able to choose a car, but I eventually was on my way. I made my one stop at the grocery store for the week and settled in to my townhouse.

Now the good news, first day dives. I went out of Boynton Beach with Loggerhead, Capt Jim and mate Josh. I was able to do two of my favorite dives, outside 007 to Gulfstream and outside Sharkie's Ledge to Briney Breezes. There was a brisk north current, visibility was about 60 feet, water temp was 82-83 degrees . Highlights were a large Goliath Grouper, a big Bull Shark, a couple of Loggerheasds, and all my friends, the usual reef fish. Two really excellent solo dives.

So up to Jupiter tomorrow for a dive on wreck trek and a reef...
Excellent- Glad we are getting Part 2- looking forward to the reports. I had similar Admiral's Club experiences in Miami and Dallas last week.
The 007 drop was one of my favorites of my recent trip!

Day 2 of 7, boy, am I tired. Drove up to Jupiter and did 4 dives with JDC, Capt Tim and guide Steve. Did the Wreck Trek, Bluffs, a new dive to me, Insde 51, and Loggerhed/Julie's. I would pass on Inside 51. Seas were flat, water was 83 degrees, visibility was 40-60 feet , there was little current.

Many Goliath Grouper, a couple of Lemon Sharks, several Reef Sharks, a Southern Ray, quite a few Loggerhead, Green Moray, and all the usual reef fish. Not the most impressive day in Jupiter, but a good, solid day of diving.

Back to Boynton Beach for two dives in the morning.

Day 2 of 7, boy, am I tired. Drove up to Jupiter and did 4 dives with JDC, Capt Tim and guide Steve. Did the Wreck Trek, Bluffs, a new dive to me, Insde 51, and Loggerhed/Julie's. I would pass on Insde 51. Seas were flat, water was 83 degrees, visibility was 40-60 feet , there was little current.

Many Goliath Grouper, a couple of Lemon Sharks, several Reef Sharks, a Southern Ray, quite a few Loggerhead, Green Moray, and all the usual reef fish. Not the most impressive day in Jupiter, but a good, solid day of diving.

Back to Boynton Beach for two dives in the morning.
Sounds like a petty good dive day overall-- Get some rest my friend! Looking forward to Day 3 report.
Four dives up in Jupiter, coming from your house and back is a HUGE and LONG day! Appreciate you giving us a report!

Day 3. Did 2 tanks with Capt Alex and deckhand Josh on Loggerhead out of Boynton. Another warm, sunny day with flat seas. Today we had a mild south current, water was 83 degrees. Visibility was as good as nearly 100 feet, as low as 50-60 feet, altogether, quite good.

1st dive was outside of Black Condo. Alex told me there was a "small" Goliath Grouper between 2 fingers I know well. He dropped me one finger north and on crossing over, there was the GG. As long as I stayed on the north side, he/she would stay out in the sand, even making a few tentative moves toward me, opening its mouth wide occassionally. When I finally went south, it disappeared into its hole. There is a moderate size cave here that is always absolutely packed with Glassy Sweepers, a gorgeous site. On crossing over one finger, I noted that I was surrounded by my usual reef fish friends. I took several minutes to take inventory of the menagerie. Without moving I counted Spotfin, Foureye, Reef, and Banded Butterflyfish, a pair of Whitespotted Filefish, a French Angel, a pair of small Queen Angels, some Rock Beauties, and many more, Damsels, Wrasse, Parrots... Sometimes you need to stop and appreciate what you have. The dive ended with a couple of Loggerhead.

The 2nd dive started on the north tip of the Boynton reef at the finger and then through Table Tops. The water at the start was crystal clear, I could see every detail at the bottom as soon as I hit the water. This turned out to be a relaxing dive. With the exception of 2 very large Nurse Sharks on the prowl together, it was mostly my usual reef fish.

I'm very lucky to be here, 4 more dives tomorrow :)

Excellent-- thanks for keeping us posted! Nice that you got out with Capt. Alex. Give him, Jim, Josh and the rest of the Loggerhead crew my best!

Living on the edge! I love it:cheers:

Day 4 of 7, yesterday. Woke to lightening, thunder, wind, and rain. Did not rain most of the time we were out. Seas were up over the last days, 2-3, occasionally bigger, water 83 degrees South current

1st dive at Delray Ledges, visibility down, 20-30 feet. 2nd dive up in Boynton at Briney Breezes. The visibility was back to 50-60 feet. It was pouring rain when we came up from the second dive. A pretty uneventful day, couple of Nurse Sharks, Sothern Ray, nice Spotted an Green Morays, the usual reef fish. One of the other divers saw a Sawfish in Delray, I'm jealous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom