Back in the game.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wide Dog

New
Reaction score
Hi All, by way of an intro - After a break of around 35 years I decided to flop in again. Originally trained with BSAC. Recently retrained with PADI and so reborn as an open water diver (for now). Really looking forward to getting some adventure back into my life. Hoping to scour the boards for tips n stuff.

Welcome back to the scrum, Dog. It's still fun out there, and just being weightless is still a kick.

Hi All, by way of an intro - After a break of around 35 years I decided to flop in again. Originally trained with BSAC. Recently retrained with PADI and so reborn as an open water diver (for now). Really looking forward to getting some adventure back into my life. Hoping to scour the boards for tips n stuff.
Your.BSAC qualification never expires, what level did you get to?

It was the fact that back then I hadn’t that much experience before I had to give it up. You know, newly married, buying a house, crap wages etc. It was a ‘luxury’ I could no longer afford. Plus, 35 years is a long gap. ABLJ jackets replaced with integral weight BCDs or Wings, Dive computers. Even my old J snorkel frowned upon now.. . (yes I still have it).

I got the opportunity to dive and begin scuba training with PADI whilst in the Caribbean last year and got the bug again and thought it was sensible to ‘retrain’ for safety’s sake. It was just logical to continue with PADI on my return home since their seem to be everywhere these days and is very readily recognised when booking dives abroad etc. I know what you gonna say, so is BSAC and that’s true. But, in all honesty, PADI was simply more convenient to me at the time.

It was the fact that back then I hadn’t that much experience before I had to give it up. You know, newly married, buying a house, crap wages etc. It was a ‘luxury’ I could no longer afford. Plus, 35 years is a long gap. ABLJ jackets replaced with integral weight BCDs or Wings, Dive computers. Even my old J snorkel frowned upon now.. . (yes I still have it).

I got the opportunity to dive and begin scuba training with PADI whilst in the Caribbean last year and got the bug again and thought it was sensible to ‘retrain’ for safety’s sake. It was just logical to continue with PADI on my return home since their seem to be everywhere these days and is very readily recognised when booking dives abroad etc. I know what you gonna say, so is BSAC and that’s true. But, in all honesty, PADI was simply more convenient to me at the time.
If you wanted to continue diving in the U.K. there are numerous BSAC clubs, just input your postcode here to find clubs in your area. You can dive with BSAC on your PADI certification. When you want more training, it’s your choice whether you use BSAC or PADI.

Back
Top Bottom