Trip Report Back in SE FL 2021 part 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a spearo tip for the future on the MG111, cause sometimes I want to skip it too.

About 289 ft to the east (cause we're supposed to start 300' near the DM's flag) is a low profile reef line. Sometimes the captain will give you a separate drop and you can slowly run that line. It's always fishie, sometimes bugs and usually a ton of sleeping nurse sharks tucked underneath the rocks.

Atleast you got to go diving while the rest of us are stuck at on land.
Thanks, I don't know Jupiter like I know Boynton Beach

Day 8 of diving, Wednesday Sept 22

This was my last day of diving for this visit. I did 2 dives with Starfish out of Boynton. The weather was sunny and warm, seas were less than 2 feet, visibility was 50-60 feet, water continued at 83-5 degrees.

The first dive was on the Castor, my third of this visit. There was a more unusual moderate south current today. This was easily the best of 3 dives. There were up to 20 Goliath Grouper stacked just off the port stern. There were large schools of Horse-Eye Jacks and a big school of Barracuda near the line at the bow.

My second dive started outside of Black Condo and crossed over to Briny Breezes. There was a large Goliath Grouper on the outside reef and a Nurse Shark joined me for much of the time crossing the reef. All the usual reef fish were well represented.

So 19 dives this visit over the 8 days of diving. I'm very fortunate to have had this opportunity. I will post some photos once I have the chance to download them

upload_2021-9-23_15-53-36.png

upload_2021-9-23_15-54-16.png

upload_2021-9-23_15-54-47.png

upload_2021-9-23_15-55-31.png

upload_2021-9-23_15-56-25.png

upload_2021-9-23_16-0-4.png

upload_2021-9-23_16-0-27.png

upload_2021-9-23_16-0-58.png

upload_2021-9-23_16-1-18.png

upload_2021-9-23_16-1-36.png

As always, great write up and jealousy inducement.

Looking forward to another trip to SW Florida in the near future, just got back from two nice trips, on through Northern Michigan and another out west to Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP's. No diving, but incredible trips nonetheless.

Thanks!

upload_2021-9-23_16-2-19-png.683564.png

Tough angle for 100% confirmation, but with the back shape & especially the peck fin shape,,,,I'd vote this is a Dusky shark to add to your list. They hang around in summer time's warm waters and really like to hassle us as we ascend.

Great shots !!

Day 5 of diving, Sunday Sept 19

Two dives out of Boynton with Starfish, Capt Chris and mate Ren. Today was a really nice day. Weather was sunny and warm. Seas were less than two, probably less than a foot.

First dive was on the Castor. The current was brisk, but less than Thursday. The visibility was better, maybe 60+ feet. The water temp held at 84 degrees. There were about 15 Goliath Grouper on the stern and one very big one on the bow. There was a pretty good amount of bait and hunters. There were large Barracuda hanging around. There were a couple of huge Lionfish in the corridor on the stern port side, I guess no one was hunting. Hanging out with the GG after everyone else was gone was magical.

When I boarded, I found that an old friend, Brian, @deepstops, here on SB, was on board, We did the second dive together, We started on the outside reef at Black Condo and crossed over to Briny Breezes. It was a beautiful dive on the Boynton Reef. Brian got a couple of lobster, I got a great dive on the Boynton reef with all the usual suspects Sometimes, you just have to consider that you are very fortunate :)
@scubadada
It was great seeing you again. And thank you for the info on Malpelo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom