Trip Report Back in SE FL 2021 part 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Do you see any particular 'selling points' for divers considering a Jupiter trip to maybe choose Boynton Beach instead...

I'm not sure I can explain the "Boynton Difference" correctly. But when I talk to 20yr, every month veteran Boynton divers, they are mostly reef & macro photographers. They explain it that Boynton has a unique 'consistency' of good viz for Open-Ocean, smaller reef and macro photography that out-shines most other SE Florida locations (excluding Key Largo). BHB is good at macro>on a schedule, but Boynton has a reputation for a larger consistent variety with 'consistent being the key word'. Yes you can sometimes see the same animals in other places too, but for a photographer, Boynton almost always produces reef & macro results for weekly divers.

It's the inconsistency that makes S. Florida a 2nd rate dive destination. Viz can be great one day and iffy the next. I don't know why but drift diving seems to also be an issue. That makes it difficult when you are on vacation and have a window of only a few days and then can't get out due to weather or have other unfavorable conditions. Locals to side step the bad days and are able to pick and choose. For instance, today should be stellar....until the showers roll in

It's the inconsistency that makes S. Florida a 2nd rate dive destination. Viz can be great one day and iffy the next. I don't know why but drift diving seems to also be an issue. That makes it difficult when you are on vacation and have a window of only a few days and then can't get out due to weather or have other unfavorable conditions. Locals to side step the bad days and are able to pick and choose. For instance, today should be stellar....until the showers roll in

I guess our definitions of ‘first rate’ are different. Many of the locations I consider ‘first rate’ are also highly inconsistent. NC for the wrecks, Great Lakes for the wrecks, CA for the kelp forests, PNW for their kelp forests & rocky cold water reefs and I’ll throw in SEFL for the drift diving. All are highly variable. I guess when you say ‘first rate’ you mean warm, clear water, tropical setting, with almost zero chance of variability. What’s the fun in that?! :wink:

‘First rate’ is in the eyes of the beholder I think.

Day 4 of diving, Saturday Sept 18

Four dives with Starfish out of Boynton. Capt Chris all day, Moty in the morning and Ren in the afternoon. I usually dive by myself. I did all 4 dives with my new friend from Houston, Kirk, who I also did one dive with on Thursday. I also had the pleasure of diving with Mark, @CosbySweater here on SB. The day was warm and sunny, seas were nearly flat, glassy in the morning. Water temp is steady at 83-85. The visibility was 30-50 feet.

First dive outside of Clubhouse with crossover to Gulfstream. There was a brisk north current with a strong west pull that made staying on the outside an effort, Less current on the inside but still with a west pull, requiring continuous kicking to stay on the reef. The second dive was outside of Black Condo (Tumbled Rocks) with a crossover to Briny Breezes. There was a little less current, easier swim. Nothing spectacular a couple of Nurse Sharks, a Hawksbill and a big, old Loggerhead, huge Southern Stingray, Green Morays and all the usual reef fish

Third dive was back to the outside of Clubhouse, a little farther south with a crossover to the inside. Current had let up a bit from the morning and it was an easier swim. Last dive was up north on Lynn's and Castle Ledge. The current had gone slack, may have even started a trickle south by the end. Again, nothing special, a couple of Nurse Sharks, a small Hawksbill and all the usual reef residents. Mark got a few lobster.

A nice, satisfying day of diving with 4 1/2 hours underwater :)

Day 4 of diving, Saturday Sept 18

Four dives with Starfish out of Boynton. Capt Chris all day, Moty in the morning and Ren in the afternoon. I usually dive by myself. I did all 4 dives with my new friend from Houston, Kirk, who I also did one dive with on Thursday. I also had the pleasure of diving with Mark, @CosbySweater here on SB. The day was warm and sunny, seas were nearly flat, glassy in the morning. Water temp is steady at 83-85. The visibility was 30-50 feet.

First dive outside of Clubhouse with crossover to Gulfstream. There was a brisk north current with a strong west pull that made staying on the outside an effort, Less current on the inside but still with a west pull, requiring continuous kicking to stay on the reef. The second dive was outside of Black Condo (Tumbled Rocks) with a crossover to Briny Breeze. There was a little less current, easier swim. Nothing spectacular a couple of Nurse Sharks, a Hawksbill and a big, old Loggerhead, huge Southern Stingray, Green Morays and all the usual reef fish

Third dive was back to the outside of Clubhouse, a little farther south with a crossover to the inside. Current has let up a bit from the morning and it was an easier swim. Last dive was up north on Lynn's and Castle Ledge. The current had gone slack, may have even started a trickle south by the end. Again, nothing special, a couple of Nurse Sharks, a small Hawksbill and all the usual reef residents. Mark got a few lobster.

It was a pleasure meeting and diving with you, Craig! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

.... Mark got a few lobster.

@scubadada - Didn't know if you have 4 steels down here or if you got fills inbetween?
@CosbySweater -Nice bug bag grabbing the Boynton groceries,,,it's been tough in Jupiter lately.

I am not traveled all over but I am trying to though! However, no place yet have I been has more varied fish, pelagics, turtles, GG, sharks and all at the same time than SE Florida, no place! If you want huge corals and drop off wall dives with consistently clear, warm water this is not your place. Turtle trifectas, green, hawks, loggers, all on one dive, where else could you do that?

You ask, what is the but? The but is that SE Florida is a driving nightmare with rude drivers and there really is not a place that you can go that would be like a resort experience. I seem to spend more time driving than diving. It can be a tiring and stressful trip.

N

@scubadada - Didn't know if you have 4 steels down here or if you got fills inbetween?
@CosbySweater -Nice bug bag grabbing the Boynton groceries,,,it's been tough in Jupiter lately.
I don't have any of my cylinders down in Florida, I keep saying I will drive down, but have never done it. I rent nitrox AL80s. My gas consumption is very good, I have never limited anyone due to gas in Jupiter, West Palm, or Boynton. With JDC, I ascend after a bottom time of 45 min, like I am supposed to In West Palm, I try to surface close to an hour, as they ask. In Boynton, I know the operators well and they cut me a little slack, I generally ascend at an hour or so and usually surface with a run time of around 67 minutes

I am not traveled all over but I am trying to though! However, no place yet have I been has more varied fish, pelagics, turtles, GG, sharks and all at the same time than SE Florida, no place! If you want huge corals and drop off wall dives with consistently clear, warm water this is not your place. Turtle trifectas, green, hawks, loggers, all on one dive, where else could you do that?

You ask, what is the but? The but is that SE Florida is a driving nightmare with rude drivers and there really is not a place that you can go that would be like a resort experience. I seem to spend more time driving than diving. It can be a tiring and stressful trip.

N
I get the message. I have had a townhouse for 10 years and do all my own cooking. I have all my driving down. Occasionally, an accident or something slows me up on my way up to West Palm or Jupiter. After practicing for all this time, I pretty much have it down. Now, the sea conditions are a completely separate topic :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom