back from my PNW visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimoh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
this past week I was out in the Seattle area, and made it out to the Wednesday TWEAK dive with NWUE. What a fantastic time I had!

I met up with Ross and Dylan at Alki Cove 2 around 4:00 and had to do some last minute gear reconfiguration (brought my doubles wing and regs but was diving singles). It seems that everyone in the parking lot came to my rescue donating equipment for me to use. So not only are they a great group, they are very well prepared as well.

Dylan, Ross and I headed out for our dive, did our predive safety checks and briefing in the water. I really appreciated going through the GUE predive checks since I am heading out to take GUE Fundamentals in a month, so this was a great introduction. With the new gear configuration, I was fairly bottom heaving and had to struggle to maintain trim, and in doing so burned through my air rather quickly. On the second dive, I had a larger tank, and that helped a lot by moving some weight up higher.

The dives were fantastic. Someone visiting from Cozumel might complain about the visibility, but I thought the visibility was just fine. Our dive objective, was to find a giant pacific octopus since I had never seen one before, and Dylan and Ross managed to achieve the goal rather quickly into the dive. When I was planning my trip out there, someone commented that if I don't see a GPO, it would give me a reason to return, and I think my experience was the best of both worlds since I saw a GPO, but didn't get a good look (it was trying to hide from us), so I still have a reason to return...and oh yeah, there are always six gills :)

On the second dive, it was just Dylan and me, and we took another look at the GPO before heading out to the i-beams. Saw some fantastic displays of anemones out at the i-beams among other things. I wished that I had taken my camera, although I decided not to task load given my trim problems on the first dive.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone (I wish I could remember everyone's name) out at Cove 2 last Wednesday for being so accommodating, and especially to my dive team (Dylan and Ross). I will be sure to be out next summer for another few dives, and if anyone wants to come to Minnesota for some ice diving this winter, let me know so I can reciprocate the hospitality.

Glad you timed your visit to be out of the horrendous viz we had the week before!

It's a good group of folks that turns out on Wednesdays. Sorry I wasn't able to join you.

I will be sure you meet up with you next summer when I return to get a better look at a GPO, and possibly 6 gills.

I did meet NWGratefulDiver, and was a little embarrassed that he caught me with my primary not clipped off. It is great to put some faces to the names.

Back
Top Bottom