Back button auto focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mentosik83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't find it anywhere so please forgive me if this is something obvious.
I have sony a6400 in seaftogs salted line housing and it is annoying to turn on auto focus by a shutter trigger. I wanted to install a trigger to the rig but it looks like there is nothing on the market.

I understand people use back button for focusing but I don't understand how does it help since you have to press the button all the time to focus and then, using another finger to press the trigger. I find it super uncomfortable since I don't have much clearance between rig handle and shutter trigger.

Is there an option to configure the camera to turn on auto focus by a button and it will track what I selected by a button in a toggle type of operation? Meaning I want to press a button to turn on autofocus but when I release that button I want the auto focus still tracking what I selected. Can't find it in my camera not the Internet :/

Please advise.

I can't find it anywhere so please forgive me if this is something obvious.
I have sony a6400 in seaftogs salted line housing and it is annoying to turn on auto focus by a shutter trigger. I wanted to install a trigger to the rig but it looks like there is nothing on the market.

I understand people use back button for focusing but I don't understand how does it help since you have to press the button all the time to focus and then, using another finger to press the trigger. I find it super uncomfortable since I don't have much clearance between rig handle and shutter trigger.

Is there an option to configure the camera to turn on auto focus by a button and it will track what I selected by a button in a toggle type of operation? Meaning I want to press a button to turn on autofocus but when I release that button I want the auto focus still tracking what I selected. Can't find it in my camera not the Internet :/

Please advise.
I have a Sony A6000 in the SeaFrogs Salted Line housing and use C1 for BBF. This lets me use my index finger on C1 to focus and middle finger on the shutter button. It is more comfortable and 'natural' feeling than I thought it would be. This allows autofocus as long as the C1 button is pressed.

I don't know of any way to configure it as a 'toggle type of operation' and not sure I would want that as it would use a lot more battery if you left it that way for too long (forgot to toggle it off).

I have a Sony A6000 in the SeaFrogs Salted Line housing and use C1 for BBF. This lets me use my index finger on C1 to focus and middle finger on the shutter button. It is more comfortable and 'natural' feeling than I thought it would be. This allows autofocus as long as the C1 button is pressed.

Does this "Back Button auto focus" feature allow for refocusing as the subject moves or changes distance or does one have to release the button and press it again to refocus?

If tracking autofocus mode is used, the camera should keep the subject in focus while the custom button assigned to focus is depressed.

I’m not aware of any way to do “toggled” BBF on Sony a6xxx cameras.

Lance

Does this "Back Button auto focus" feature allow for refocusing as the subject moves or changes distance or does one have to release the button and press it again to refocus?
It depends. On AF-S you have to release the button and press it again to refocus. On AF-C, it is continuous autofocus. I use AF-S (works better for me with an older model a6000). Once I have my focus, I can release the button and it will hold the focus if I need to recompose. AF-C would be a better choice but I have a hard time getting focus in an underwater environment.

This allows autofocus as long as the C1 button is pressed.
that's the point, I don't want that. I want to be sure when I press the shutter my object is in focus. When I depress the button and move my finger to shutter the focus may change.

If tracking autofocus mode is used, the camera should keep the subject in focus while the custom button assigned to focus is depressed.
Well, it doesn't work that way for me. I have AF-C, tracking center, custom button set to AF-ON and the camera focusing only when the button is pressed.

Well, it doesn't work that way for me. I have AF-C, tracking center, custom button set to AF-ON and the camera focusing only when the button is pressed.

Pretty sure we’re saying the same thing. Good luck with your photography adventures.

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom