Back Beach Jan 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went out with Metro West Dive Club today to get a dive in. We met at BK at 10am, then proceeded to Cathedral Rocks to check the scene out. It was somewhat surgey, smack dab at low tide, with ice all over the rocks. Plan B was Back Beach.

Long story short, four went in, two went under, two came out.

We got geared up and in the really murkey water when one of the Metro West guy's reg froze up. I had a small leak from my octo, but it was managable. I swam out with the other two and when we went to descend, I found I was bobbing around like a cork. I hadn't added any weight for the extra layers I was wearing under my drysuit, plus I had a new set of dry gloves. I told the other two to take off without me.

I swam into shore where our surface support ran and got me some more lead. I then proceeded to try and catch up to the rapidly moving dive flag in the distance. I got maybe 100 feet when I realized that something was around my legs....my weight belt had slipped down. Apparently, I didn't cinch it tight enough. I attempted to replace it, but ended up dropping it. Luckily I was only in like 4 feet of water, so I was able to retrieve it. After all these problems, I decided it would be prudent to turn around and head back to shore where there was a camping stove waiting with hot chocolate.

The two divers that made it had awful vis until they got around the edge of the cove on the left where apparently it was very nice. They saw no fish, lobster, crab, etc, but saw a bunch of kelp and anenomies.

The water was ~38 degrees F at the surface.

Cleaning gear is a drag, but more so when you didn't even get to dive.

My suggestion is we head up to Old Garden for our dive tomorrow.

You guys get my respect for trying!! I hope you have a good dive today. Let us know how is was.

I'll be sipping my hot coffee as I read it....

Hopefully someone else will do a full report but here's my condensed version. Went to OGB. Bottom temp was 39°. Saw 3 ittie-bittie lobsters and a very sad looking sea raven (missing an eye). No surge, vis was about 10'. Two of us had drysuits that thought they were wetsuits but we still had a great time.

decapoddiver...whereabouts in Worc. are you ? Looking for other divers to go diving with . Dont have a drysuit so I wont be going till it gets a little more reasonable . Been away from N.E. diving for a while but would like to get back into some boat and wreck diving . Let me know , my e-mail is oldtimer@sysmatrix.net .

but it sounds like we have different interests (I'm shore/boat lobster hunting). If you ever want to go hunting, let me know:)

Back
Top Bottom