Baby Barge, Surface Whales, and 120 ft Viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Finally got out on the water while these epic conditions prevail. Badhatharry, Todd, Maddie and her GF, and I headed out to the Kahala Barges...we had the bouy and then lost it, so dived Baby Barge instead. Badhatharry and I poked around inside so that I could show him the very nice lighting for photo-ops. Really was killing me I did not have my camera (sent the housing off for service, after 5 years!) but I showed him which shots I thought he should take!

Hope you got some good ones, I love it in there.

Nobody home in the shark cave, :( ..about a 50/50 chance most days...we had to settle for turtles galore and a blue box-fish and a yello and blue nudi.

Lots of whales breeching nearby on the surface and we watched for quite awhile.

All divers passed my liabilty pre-dive inservice and swim step practical with flying colors and no complaints.

Todd dives a Hawaiian Cam without gauges or inflation....He asked us if we were going diving or to the moon. Wouldn't go without his snorkel though.

collage67-1.jpg

Anybody curious about the old style cam...the spear divers can take these backpacks off to squeeze through lobster holes, chase fish trying to hide, etc. Some have only one shoulder hook.

DSC_0177-1.jpg

Gotta rub it in doncha? Me stuck here working on a proposal and everyone else having fun................

next time! (it is nice out there)

looks like a nice day out there today....I heard that the group this morning had 3 whales - underwater, swim right up to them....the vis was fantastic....and once again I wasn't in the water :(. Looking forward to your pictures BHH :wink:

We had an awesome time. Unbelievable visibility.
P4050842.jpg

Too bad those whales didn't come check us out.

Dive for buoys? Yeah, I've done that..:wink:

Those pictures are really great! (I think my bungee cord is getting too long)

I just love the structural bones of the barge, whales don't suck either.

next time, invite your GF to ride along. It's nice to have somebody topside in case the mooring breaks....that did not sound right.

I want to start snapping simple shots to get visual tri-angulated line-ups on shore, for my repeat sites. Getting really sick of those turtles showing me up.

Did you notice that side piece of ragged metal, blown out? that is new...sometimes the currents rip through the wreck and I saw a guy get sucked in a side opening and SPIT out the top hatch.

catherine96821:
Did you notice that side piece of ragged metal, blown out? that is new...sometimes the currents rip through the wreck and I saw a guy get sucked in a side opening and SPIT out the top hatch.

No I didn't notice that. I did feel the suction, though. Caught me off guard the first time.

must have been a pretty tough current.

Catherine,

Didn't I mention this in a post a few weeks ago.....? If I had more time and patience I would dig it up. But, be careful on the Barge in surg(e)y conditions. Looks like you had a great time though!

On another note, a small crew of us went over to Molokai on Wed/Thurs. We did one dive at Mokuhooniki Island on the far east side. The rest of the trip rocked with whales all over, several pods of dolphins and a good 20 lb Mahi Mahi to keep us fed. Backside of Molokai is EPIC from sea (cliffs, waterfalls and Kalaupapa)

Anyone doing any UW easter egg hunts tomorrow?

G

Back
Top Bottom