Baani Explorer - Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have closed this thread for review.....

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Given recent events, I've re-opened this thread....

Thanks for the report Shelly and hopefully you are right and they have actually taken the criticism on board and addressed some of the issues. Unexpected things like the sinking of the dhoni are one offs, but it is how the problems are handled when they do occur that separates the good operators from the bad.

I am on the Adventurer May 18-25 so will report back on how that goes as well. Having read your report I'm feeling a lot more positive than I was.

Lee

Looks as though this guy was on the effected trip, hopefully we can get some first hand info...So sad this turned out this way.

Looks as though this guy was on the effected trip, hopefully we can get some first hand info...So sad this turned out this way.

Yes he was and I have have received a couple of e-mails from him. Very sad affair. He said he would post something when he got back. On the other thread I post a couple of things he said.

Last edited:
From page 1 of this thread, if you have your settings on 40 posts/page....
Good morning divers,
I`m Gundi, responsible for Baani Explorer/Maldives since October 2004. We are quite spoiled with good comments regarding our operation and happy to welcome many repeating clients on board every year.

The complaint regarding Baani Explorer gave me an almost sleepless night and I have tried my best to find out, what has really happened on that safari.
We give guest feedback files to our guests at the end of every safari on all our boats, they are filled in optional and very precious for us.
It helps us to see if our divers were happy during their stay and give us good hints to improve our services.

I`ve got all feedback files from the safari Feb.3.-10.2008 this morning, they are scanned on board and attached to this thread.
Partly one file is filled in by cabin - means 2 persons, it is up to our guests, how they do. Our guest arrival list is attached as well, so you can see all names booked for that cruise.

There is only one file stating the same as mentioned in this thread, all other clients seems to be happy or even very happy with the same cruise.
Please have a look at the guest comments and get your own picture.

Thank you for your time, thank you also for a comment,
Sunny regards
Gundi
Followed soon after by two new members who joined just to post on this thread, but are not now members! :11: How does one become NA on SB...?
I have been on Baani Explorer 5 times over the past 3 years and have never experienced anything like what you are describing here. I have several hundred dives and also spent time in many other exotic dive locations. Let me comment on a few things that you seem to have gotten wrong or simply had unrealistic expectations.

Nitrox: I too had to go without Nitrox on one of my trips because the machine broke but that has also happened to me on island resorts before too as well as on Liveaboards in the Red Sea and in the Philippines. These machines are very delicate and hard to keep up in the rough conditions they are operated under. You’re on a ship in the middle of nowhere, things break and are hard to repair as fast as one would expect under European standards. You are wrong to believe you can bring first world repair service to the middle of nowhere in the Indian Ocean. Also keeping spares for everything on a liveaboard is impossible, right?

Fumes & Diesel: I don’t know how much or little you know about ships but if you pump 10000 liters of diesel yes of course you can smell that at first. It’s a massive amount of diesel. The smell however goes away shortly after the ship starts moving. Every ship of that size or smaller has the very same issue. Hardly something you can blow a gasket over when booking a liveaboard cruise.

Hot Water: It is true that hot water can run short after dives when everyone rushes to shower at the same time. I usually just waited 5 minutes until the first wave of impatient divers took their showers and then enjoy all the hot water myself. You just need to be a little flexible when on a liveaboard, again, it’s not a 5 star resort. At all other times fresh & hot water was always available to me and my wife.

Food: Food on Baani Explorer is among the best I have ever had on a liveaboard of the same standard. I was always well fed and happy. I’m sorry you had a bad stomach, must have been unpleasant when diving. You were probably the darling of all reef fish then ;-) I don't believe it was 50% of the guests though because they would hardly have forgotten to mention that in the forms, right? A tip for the future: Always eat something spicy or have a whiskey after dinner. That’s what you are supposed to do when travelling to a tropical country to prevent exactly what has happened to you – and it works. Bad toasties? Yeah stuff like that happens at home too…. Get fresh bread and get over it.

Dives: You complain about only 3 dives a day… how many did you want? Isn’t that what you paid for? By the way there is always 3 dive guides on Explorer, at least every time I was there that was the case and if they took you to novice dive sites at first that was probably because they were being professional and wanted to see how experienced you are before taking the next step.

Finally I find it interesting and amusing that you are the only one who filled a negative feedback form. Everyone seemed to be happy but you. For the record, cabin Nr. 9 is a crew cabin and it would be news to me if they had to fill in feedback forms too now.

You just like to complain a lot, that you have made obvious. I consider Explorer one of my favorite destinations and I will go back for sure, sorry you don’t share that feeling but they probably have thousands of guests per year and there is always the few who will complain no matter what. :lotsalove:

Rob
Their posts were seen as suspicious even at the time.
hey guys!
interesting what i read in your commens about explorer.
i was there 5 weeks ago over new year for 2 weeks and i cannot share your experience on that boat. i have around 750 dives all together on different places on our world so believe me or not what i am talking about, its up to you guys.
i had a lovely time there, enjoyed it very much with the other guests and the crew, we had lot of fun, beautiful dives so i will go back there in may again coz it relaxed me that much.
some notes to your complains:
- its not understandable that you didn´t enjoy the food there, i have been several times on safari boats, as well on maldives but i never got that good food with that quality like on explorer.
- diarrhoae happens sometimes when you go to asian countries, not special on a liveaboard, i got it as well on a 5 star island on maldives. so i think it depends on how sensible you are on different food, water etc. this you can read on so many pages about travelling to different countries thats nothing special for a safariboat.
- exhaust fumes can happen specially when there is no wind or the wind is coming from the "wrong" side of the boat, i didn´t have a problem with that there. maybe it would be better for you to switch off the generator and enjoy your dinner with candle-lights, otherwise there is as well the option to eat in the saloon as well.
- for the crew its one of the best i have ever seen on a liveaboard, the didn´t make a really exhausted impression to me, we had alot of fun together, nice barbecue, nice new year...

all together it is a liveaboard, thats not a floating island that´s what everybody should think about before doing a diving-safari-booking.

for my experience there i enjoyed it very much, going back there soon.
i can recommend going for holiday there and make your own experience, i think thats better sometimes than to read too much in forums.

greez :wink:
divemasta

Does everyone know that every post you leave here also leaves a record of the IP from where you make that post? :D

Don there were other Sock Puppets that were cleaned off this thread.

Does anyone know if there will be an official inquest and will the results be published?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom