B2 Freeflow Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a new-to-me (given to me by my brother) B2 regulator, that saw virtually zero use before I received it. I think it was wet once. I had it bench checked prior to using it to ensure that it was in good shape.

After my first trip with it I'm a bit disappointed. I've noticed that even with the tuning adjustment knob screwed all the way in (which doesn't seem to have a dramatic impact anyway) that when underwater the regulator will freeflow unless I hold it dead vertical with the mouthpiece down.

During a dive, I often switch to a different mouthpiece (pony bottle, different gas, whatever) and it doesn't really work for me to have to hold the B2 to actively keep it from freeflowing.

Is this inherent to the design (ie: I should sell this reg and find a different one) or is it something that can be adjusted?

Thanks,
-Ben

The issue is not the reg but the service. The bench check was too sloppy. For instance, the demand level should be adjusted until there is no free flow then the orifice is screwed in another 1/4 turn. The equates to about 1/32" of travel with the demand lever.

The second bit is to adjust the cracking effort which should be 1.0"-1.4" of water. If the effort is too low then the reg will free flow when the mouth piece is up.

This latter adjustment is something that you can do. But given the shop pooched the bench test take it bak in to them and have them redo it then jump into the pool with it. If it still reflows - ask to your money back.

As indicated, the reg is likely fine, the tuning is just off a little. Anyone with the know how could fix it in about 1 minute.Very good reg actually.

FWIW I've seen a few regs come to the field right after an overhaul and then mildly free flow once connected. This hugely annoys people that just spent $100+ to have the work done. The seat take on a small indentation from sitting then air can leak by this area that was not there when the technician tuned it. A very minor adjustment to make up for the new crease and the problem goes away, usually permanently.

The intermediate pressure should be checked first, which is the most important thing that should have been done to make sure it was OK. I'm assuming the tech was not so lame as to have missed that.

The seat take on a small indentation from sitting then air can leak by this area that was not there when the technician tuned it
Not on a B2...Patented Atomic Seat Saving Orifice. It doesn't touch unless it's pressurized.

Not on a B2...Patented Atomic Seat Saving Orifice. It doesn't touch unless it's pressurized.
true... it still may never have gotten a pre-delivery tune

Uh huh, and my wife has a SP 250HP with the same feature and it's done exactly that. It's a bunch of excessive engineering and complexity that doesn't help anything and makes it harder to overhaul. In the 250 series it's their most poorly thought of unit.
It does work fine in spite of that, it just annoys me.

I have a new-to-me (given to me by my brother) B2 regulator, that saw virtually zero use before I received it. I think it was wet once. I had it bench checked prior to using it to ensure that it was in good shape.

After my first trip with it I'm a bit disappointed. I've noticed that even with the tuning adjustment knob screwed all the way in (which doesn't seem to have a dramatic impact anyway) that when underwater the regulator will freeflow unless I hold it dead vertical with the mouthpiece down.

During a dive, I often switch to a different mouthpiece (pony bottle, different gas, whatever) and it doesn't really work for me to have to hold the B2 to actively keep it from freeflowing.

Is this inherent to the design (ie: I should sell this reg and find a different one) or is it something that can be adjusted?

Thanks,
-Ben
Hi,

I own a similar atomic aquatics T3 (on a short hose) and M1 (on a long hose).

Both of these free flow if the mouth pieces is pointing upwards close to the surface.

My solution is to ensure that the bungeed regulator I am not keeping in my mouth is pointed downwards during the descent.

At a depth of greater than 2m or so the regulator no longer free flows even with the mouthpiece pointed upwards.

regards,

Rory

Back
Top Bottom