B/C size problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am having some B/C size issues and was wondering if anyone out there had suggestions for me. I am 6'6" and 200 lbs. Because of my length I generally have to get XL size items so they fit, but because I am relatively skinny--34" waist--these same items are generally too loose.

Usually when I dive with my B/C its not a huge issue because I have a 7mm suit that compensates for the girth, however I dove Hawaii this year with shorts and a rash guard and the problem was immediately apparent--my BC was VERY loose at its tightest settings and it moved around a lot making buoyancy and movement a bit onerous.

I was looking into a wing and backplate thinking that would help; however when I looked at sizing for the harness it looks like I may run into the same problem. For my height I need a certain size but that size is meant for wider people.

Short of me putting on twenty lbs, does anyone have a suggestion or will transitioning to a backplate and wing solve this dilemma?

call Deep Sea Supply and talk to Tobin. Tell him I sent you over there. Get the Long or XL pattern plate depending on how long your legs are. Use the one piece harness, and if you are regularly diving in just shorts and a rash guard you can consier spending about $12 on the Dive Rite neoprene harness pads. You don't need the comfort harnesses. It will fit you better than any BC you have ever tried on

I don't normally dive with just shorts and a rash guard, though--I tried it for the first time in Hawaii. This year. I live in SoCal so I normally use at least a 7 mm wetsuit and will be transitioning to a dry suit shortly. Even with my 7 mm, the B/C is still a bit loose. I think I've talked to Tobin before...I will reach out again. I didn't notive the long backplates though so I will check that out. I'm assuming with that and a harness I should be able to make it as tight as I'd like.

Last edited:
you will be able to adjust the harness basically infinitely so the same harness will be able to fit with minor adjustments for shorts and a t-shirt, up to a drysuit. Odds are a SS Long Pattern plate will be the best option for you and will really change diving for you. If you have the ability to, it may be worth asking Tobin if you can come to the shop in Pasadena to try them on and get "fit"

I'm 6'7" (I was 180# when I started this as a collegiate athlete) and 25 years ago there wasn't many choices. I've owned a few different BC jackets, and everything was a compromise, too big, or too short, or just yuck! A few years back I stumbled on DSS and the "tall" line of plates, and decided that a BP/W was worth investigating. I got a tall plate from Tobin, and I was really pleased with the way it actually fit ME! I actually ended up getting an x-long for my doubles also, and it made a big difference in locating the tanks for reaching valves.

Many will shrug off the tall plate as a gimmick, but it really made a difference to me.

I've added a long pattern kydex to my collection too....

I cannot thank DSS (Tobin) enough for being one of the few (I don't actually know of any other "production" models) manufacturers of TALL equipment.

Last edited:
the long plates allowed me to start diving a one piece harness again as even at a measly 6'3" compared to you guys, I have a very long back and the normal length backplates wouldn't allow proper angles of the harness. It really changed backmount diving for me

Back
Top Bottom