Azores Recommendations In July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaMan1974

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to be on the islands for 4-6 days and was hoping to do a few days of diving; wanted to hear what people liked & what to expect in that area. Would love non-diving recommendations as well.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I’m going to Pico in July, I arrive on the 21st and I will be there for 8 days. Iv never been before , but did some research and read good reviews for cwazores, so that’s who I booked through.
Im planning on doing as much diving as I can when I’m there with possibly a walk up mount pico on my last day.
Happy to get on this thread to get any tips from anyone who has been before .
Kris

Hi, I’m going to Pico in July, I arrive on the 21st and I will be there for 8 days. Iv never been before , but did some research and read good reviews for cwazores, so that’s who I booked through.
Im planning on doing as much diving as I can when I’m there with possibly a walk up mount pico on my last day.
Kris
I'd love to hear more about the diving in the Azores. Keep us posted!

Kris

I have no experience with CWAzores. I only know Twin Peaks in Pico and Norberto on the other side of the channel (Faial).
Visibility should be great and water temperature around 21ºC-23ºC.

Be sure to do 2 offshore trips: blue shark diving and Princess Alice seamount. The latter is quite far (3-4 hours by boat) but is a chilean devilray (mobula) hot spot. I saw a whale shark there but in September.

I have no experience with CWAzores. I only know Twin Peaks in Pico and Norberto on the other side of the channel (Faial).

Be sure to do 2 offshore trips: blue shark diving and Princess Alice seamount. The latter is quite far (3-4 hours by boat) but is a chilean devilray (mobula) hot spot. I saw a whale shark there but in September.
Thanks,
Yeah iv booked 3 shark diving trips and one trip to princess alice. Im going to do some more local diving too- any suggestions for dive sites that are good? Shrimp cave looks cool 🤙

Thanks,
Yeah iv booked 3 shark diving trips and one trip to princess alice. Im going to do some more local diving too- any suggestions for dive sites that are good? Shrimp cave looks cool 🤙

In my experience, you can't choose.
There is some nice shore diving in Pico as well as plenty of boat diving in the channel between Faial and Pico. I would probably try both.

Some years back I've spent 2 weeks in the Azores :

- the 1st one on Santa Maria
- the 2nd Faial, just in front of Pico

Diving was very nice (dived with Noberto) and we went once or twice to dive on Pico's shores. I very much enjoyed my time there, hoping to get back there in the not too distant future.

Hadn't much luck with Princess Alice Bank : murky water, so not so enjoyable. A nice day, but a bit disappointing, I've been dreaming of diving there since I was a kid, so I had BIG expectations, but weather and Poseidon decided otherwise. It happens.

Had no luck at all with the sharks. As those creatures have no internet, no cell phones, not even a louzy fax machine, it's complicated to make an appointment... Don't worry, I'm just kidding, but it seems my buddies on that day were convinced blue sharks would be there right on schedule as they demanded it. I was utterly sorry for the dive masters : working is complicated enough, but with such porridge brain divers, who don't know a thing about nature, nor the ocean, nor anything must be depressing...

That's the only thing I didn't like in the Azores : divers ! Several complaining that there's better diving in the Maldives or the Red Seas (then go there bl...y w....r and let me dive in peace !) or behaving stupidly : going the opposite direction on purpose, or breaking the depth limit because it was "fun"... Pathetic...

Hi David,

I was on the website after you messaged, but Twin Peaks don’t do any shark or princess alice trips anymore 🤷‍♂️. Seems a shame as I’m looking forward to them a lot. Hopefully the weather plays ball

Some years back I've spent 2 weeks in the Azores :

- the 1st one on Santa Maria
- the 2nd Faial, just in front of Pico

Diving was very nice (dived with Noberto) and we went once or twice to dive on Pico's shores. I very much enjoyed my time there, hoping to get back there in the not too distant future.

Hadn't much luck with Princess Alice Bank : murky water, so not so enjoyable. A nice day, but a bit disappointing, I've been dreaming of diving there since I was a kid, so I had BIG expectations, but weather and Poseidon decided otherwise. It happens.

Had no luck at all with the sharks. As those creatures have no internet, no cell phones, not even a louzy fax machine, it's complicated to make an appointment... Don't worry, I'm just kidding, but it seems my buddies on that day were convinced blue sharks would be there right on schedule as they demanded it. I was utterly sorry for the dive masters : working is complicated enough, but with such porridge brain divers, who don't know a thing about nature, nor the ocean, nor anything must be depressing...

That's the only thing I didn't like in the Azores : divers ! Several complaining that there's better diving in the Maldives or the Red Seas (then go there bl...y w....r and let me dive in peace !) or behaving stupidly : going the opposite direction on purpose, or breaking the depth limit because it was "fun"... Pathetic...
Any specific dive sites you recommend? For me yes there will be dive locations with better biodiversity, but it’s about enjoying each location for what it is. I’m very much looking forward to the Azores

Back
Top Bottom