Azores Recommendations In July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any specific dive sites you recommend? For me yes there will be dive locations with better biodiversity, but it’s about enjoying each location for what it is. I’m very much looking forward to the Azores

Well, that's a tricky question... In fact, the dives I enjoyed most where located in Santa Maria :

- Ambrosia : just hanging on a cable hooked somewhere down below, enjoying the mobulas ballet, themselves surrounded by jacks circling the other way around, themselves coraled by barracudas. Myself, I was screening a juvy trigger fish from the big guys. Awesome ! I followed the DM orders to a T : relax, enjoy the show, and when you've got only 50 bars left, surface. I did that exactly and was the last one to out. Everybody on the boat was pissed with me, but I didn't give a second thought about it.

- the Formighas islands : a day trip to a shoal far away. The most uncaring groupers I've ever seen in my life. Getting so close to you and so slowly that you can count the copepods running on their backs ! And I've never seen so many black corrals so shallow, about 30 m. In the Med, if you're not deeper than 50 meters : no way !

But don't take me wrong, I enjoyed diving in Faial immensely. Scenery is different, many needle rocks coming from the depths, like church steeples, you follow along. And an average of at least 2 mobulas, every second dives, plus eagle rays regularly, jacks, tunas, I can't complain.

Hi David,

I was on the website after you messaged, but Twin Peaks don’t do any shark or princess alice trips anymore 🤷‍♂️. Seems a shame as I’m looking forward to them a lot. Hopefully the weather plays ball

Just cross the channel to Faial (30 min ferry) and do the offshore trips with Norberto.
When I went there that is what I did, some days with Norberto, other with Twin Peaks.

I agree with @JMBL that Santa Maria is the other location for diving (Ambrósio and Formigas + Dollabarat half-way to São Miguel).

I enjoyed diving in Azores in general but top dive sites for me are offshore: Princess Alice, Blue sharks seamount, Ambrósio, Formigas and Dollabarat.

Just cross the channel to Faial (30 min ferry) and do the offshore trips with Norberto.
When I went there that is what I did, some days with Norberto, other with Twin Peaks.

I agree with @JMBL that Santa Maria is the other location for diving (Ambrósio and Formigas + Dollabarat half-way to São Miguel).

I enjoyed diving in Azores in general but top dive sites for me are offshore: Princess Alice, Blue sharks seamount, Ambrósio, Formigas and Dollabarat.

Which operator you think it’s the best experience for the shark dive? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom