Azores - Pico or Terceira for 2 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoda117

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys!

My wife is treating me to a dive trip in the Azores this July (she’s a non-diver, so w00t!). We’re going to be there for about 2 weeks, with most the the time divided between Sao Miguel and Faial, but she suggested extending the trip 2-3 days and let me pick between Pico and Terceira.

I’m torn, because both seem to have some interesting dive locations. Pico - Princess Alice Banks (obviously). But Terceira has the Archaeological Park of f Angela do Heroismo Bay, the Cemetarios de Ancona’s, the Lidador (which I hear is nice), and the Banco Dom Joao de Castro (which I’ve heard can be challenging, but also nice).

Sadly, we only have 2-3 days otherwise I’d push to hit the highlights of both, but we can only do one. I tried to figure out which island might appeal to her and go that route, but no dice.

So… suggestions and advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

/rate myself as between a beginner and intermediate diver with about 40 dives under my belt
//will have my AOW and deep diver prior to trip
///already have SSI for night, navi, nitrox

Concerning Princess Alice Banks, you can dive it from Faial as well, and it's 4h boat drive if I remember correctly. So maybe I'd choose Terceira.

Yeah, as much as I'd really love to hit Princess Alice Banks, it's 2.5 hours from Pico and like 3, 3 .25 hours from Faial. That's quite a bit of time to be on a semi-rigid. If we had more time, or were doing a liveaboard it'd be an easy choice as a "must see", but Terciera has a bunch of stuff as well.

Given my skill level, and more importantly, my wife (who is not a diver, but would enjoy snorkeling some of the sites in Terciera), I think that's probably the best bet.

Still want to do Princess Alice though, lol! If not this time, it's a good excuse to come back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom