Avoiding neck seal leak in drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoodyLompoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife just took her pool class for dry suit certification, but her nec and wrists are so narrow even the smallest silicone seals the dive shop had don't work. A bungee cord does the job on the wrist seals, but not on the neck. It flooded immediately. Does anybody know what could help before she does the ocean dives in the same suit?

My wife just took her pool class for dry suit certification, but her nec and wrists are so narrow even the smallest silicone seals the dive shop had don't work. A bungee cord does the job on the wrist seals, but not on the neck. It flooded immediately. Does anybody know what could help before she does the ocean dives in the same suit?

Had a friend whose wife is very tall and thin with a long slender neck. She had the same issue as you wife when she bought her drysuit. She found that she was able to get a better fit with a latex neck seal. I recall that she and her husband have Mares XR suits with the kevlar panels which came stock with the si-tech systems installed.

Si-Tech makes a latex neck seal for their neck ring system and it comes in 3 sizes compared to the 2 sizes of their silicone neck seal:

Latex Neck - for neck system - Seals - Products - SI-TECH

Note also that the si-tech silicone wrist seals come in standard and small sizes and if the small is too big, one can also use latex seals with the wrist ring system too.

BTW, if you are using Waterproof brand silicone seals, while they are made by Si-Tech, I find that they fit looser than Si-Tech seals due to the differences in shape that Waterproof specs for their label.

-Z

Also replaceable or permanent neoprene seals can be adjusted to any size

I remember there was a latex neck seal that had no hole in it. You have to make your own.
Latex seals will work in the silicone seal systems

How vein(y) is her neck and wrists? I guess it isn't really veins, more like tendons. They can lift the seal and make a water channel. Depending on how the hand or neck is turned/exercised.

Sometimes it is as simple as moving the seal further up the neck. Less chance of it rolling and a little thicker part of the neck.

Had a friend whose wife is very tall and thin with a long slender neck. She had the same issue as you wife when she bought her drysuit. She found that she was able to get a better fit with a latex neck seal. I recall that she and her husband have Mares XR suits with the kevlar panels which came stock with the si-tech systems installed.

Si-Tech makes a latex neck seal for their neck ring system and it comes in 3 sizes compared to the 2 sizes of their silicone neck seal:

Latex Neck - for neck system - Seals - Products - SI-TECH

Note also that the si-tech silicone wrist seals come in standard and small sizes and if the small is too big, one can also use latex seals with the wrist ring system too.

BTW, if you are using Waterproof brand silicone seals, while they are made by Si-Tech, I find that they fit looser than Si-Tech seals due to the differences in shape that Waterproof specs for their label.

-Z
Thanks, this is very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom