Avoid Peace River Campground at ALL costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:11:
What a load of ***p!
Ignorant, rude, overbearing, unhelpful, prison staff .... unhelmeted, unsupervised kids on ATVs ... etc, etc, etc

San Diego checking in to say you wont ever catch me or anyone I know, at Peace River Campground
Truly sorry of your expereance on what should have been an enjoyable get together

Hey speargirl,
sounds like assault on you by the campground staff. Definition of assault follows:
A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.

I wonder what their response would have been if you had dialed 9-1-1? It might have been headlines on the Orlando Slanted-al....

My wife and i were that party that spent the day at Brownville fossiling with the rest of the Conchs and wanted to drop by for a quick bite and social time with the rest of the group.

We arrived at the campground and were following our friends back to the site when we passed a checkpoint just in front of the wilderness area. In the previous 3 years of staying there i dont recall ever seeing someone standing checking for camping tags. He stopped us, we explained that we were just visiting very briefly for dinner and would be about an hour. We're told to go and get a Peace River Camp Ground visitor or observer pass at the front desk. Upon checking at the front desk we were told that it would be $10 per person for anything over 20 mins (the same price as camping the night) which we explained in our opinion exorbitant. We also later found out that the price to visit the RV part of the park was only $7 per day, same campground, just driving on a little more dirt road....

So others then started arriving from our fossiling group and we headed in with them leaving our car at the front - we had no camping gear, just the shirts on our backs to go in with, no use of any facilities apart from the dirt roads. That was the time that the golf cart was rented as well (same people rented who arrived after we tried to discuss the entrance fee). We got to the site and when it was time for the cart to be returned we were offered a pass to re-enter from one of the other campers, so we took the cart up and jumped in our car. We were headed back to grab a quick bite and then leave, so far we had been on site approximately one hour. There was no check point on the way out, nor on the way back in. As we drove through the RV part of the park we noted multiple cars without passes. Nearing the campsite one of the Peace River Camp Ground security guys pulls us over and wants to inspect the tag. He sees its not the same car as the tag states and confiscates it. He states we have been in the park for 3 hours which was patently incorrect. He claims we have commited a crime of defrauding an innkeeper and could be thrown in jail, but he doesnt want to do that, we can pay the fee or leave, at which time i say that we are going to leave. Now i dont know how buddy buddy they might be with the LEO's, so i just tread carefully not wishing to have myself and pregnant wife in jail for the night! He radios in his buddies and the car is surrounded by 4 golf carts and finally the owners wife arrives and we talk for a moment where i state we are going to leave when they let me out of the wagon circle that has surrounded me. I ask to pick up my pregnant wife and dogs who came in with me as they are at the site. They follow me and i believe it was the owner who came and said we and the other campers who's tag we borrowed have 20 mins to pack up and leave. We are set to go, but as stated above the others have just finished making the food. By this time we have been there about 90 mins, 30 of that was sitting with the security guy and his buddies. We grab a bite to go and head out, followed again by a guy in a golf cart.

I found out after the fact that to defraud an innkeeper as a level 1, 3rd degree felony, according to FL statute 509.151(1), the amount of defrauding would have to be $300+, which even their exorbitant entrance fee for just visiting didnt quite reach. If they hadnt stopped us and caused all the fuss we would likely have been out of there in an hour or so as originally mentioned (timed that from the golf cart rental timeframe) rather than the 3 hours the old boy said he timed us at.

Previous trips to the Peace River Camp Ground were mostly without issue with management, bar the ATV's at night and during the day wanting to drive right through our campsite, even when we used vehicles to block the access to our fire and camping circle, they still got off their bikes or edged their ATV's, bikes and golf carts around those vehicles to try to get through - with a perfectly good road running the other side of the bushes. In the past the management listened to our complaints about them running after dark with no lights, but did very little about it. Who knows how many kids might have been hurt by these brainless idiots (some kids, but plenty of older kids and adults too) running through our campgrounds if we werent vigilant. Anyway, we gave them 4 years of good custom, while not a huge impact from our little group in terms of revenue through the year, i cant begin to imagine how much impact the word of mouth from here might affect them. I know personally i have probably spent about $200 over the past 3 camping trips including nights stayed, breakfasts, firewood and such, but on top of all the other hassle this weekend for my fellow Conch's, i was surprised that they wanted to charge a night's stay for each of us to visit for such a short time.

I vote for next year's fossiling expedition to camp at a family and pet friendly place, without ATV's etc where we can relax in peace. It doesnt bother me regarding the alcohol at night, its nice to end the long day relaxing with friends and a beer, but if we find a good park with a prohibition then so be it. BTW, we werent too excited by the wash rooms at Brownville Park, but compared to a porta-john and the baths at Peace River Camp Ground, they are acceptable.

Hey speargirl,
sounds like assault on you by the campground staff. Definition of assault follows:
A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.

I wonder what their response would have been if you had dialed 9-1-1? It might have been headlines on the Orlando Slanted-al....

If that is what it is called we were all assaultedall weekend.The worst part was when they came full force and did not leave when asking Dennis and Roxanne and the other couple to leave now that was bad. They were yelling at Dennis and Roxanne like they were on a prison work crew, saying what's it's taking so long. and why don't you other people help them and we were doing what we could but they know how to pack there vehicle to where everything fits so how much more could we have done. Plus there cooking supplies were all hot and with NO running water at this campsite we had no way of cooling it down any faster. All the children where frightened they all stayed in one area and sat in fear because they had no idea what was going on or what was coming next. And the worst thing is my children had never been on a camping trip before but they had watched enough TV movies that this kind of behavier to them seemed to be one of those scary movies they had seen. My son said at one point mom should we go get in the car and lock the doors and wait for you. I told him no stay with the other small kids and don't move from that spot. All weekend at Peace Rive Campground we were watched by these people. Everytime we heard a golfcart coming or a ATV we all turned our heads to see if it was the men in the red hats and shirts. On our way home I had a talk with my boys about how I used to go camping and that I had never been treated like that before that this was a very bad freak thing. I also told them I was planning on going camping again to show them that this is not how camping is supposed to be. I told them camping should be fun and exciting and you learn so much about outdoors and every child should have that experience in there lives. I told them what we experienced at Peace River Campground this weekend was not normal at all infact I told them that is was the worst experience I had EVER had in my life.
I said to my boys Scubaboard is planning another camping trip and I would like us to go, to show you what camping is all about. I also told them that is was NOT at Peace River Campground so they had no worries. They are willing to try it again and I am sure they will have a great time.

For Peace River Campground shame on you for putting bad thoughts about camping into their heads that is probably the worst feeling a mother could ever have when there child is frightened and coming to them for help and advice in a strange place in the woods no less and getting darker by the minute. I should give them all airline passes to the middle of the war right now so they get the same feeling our children had.

It really grieves me that people treat other people like this! God created us to love and care for each other. This is without a doubt "ungodly behavior"! I served as an MP during Desert Storm and no matter what crime or violation someone had committed, I felt everyone deserved a certain level of respect simply because they are human.
Clearly these people have little respect for themselves and thus none available for others.

I'll certainly share these stories with everyone I meet who is planing on staying at Florida's version of Hotel California.

The news has reached San Francisco. I am impressed by Speargirl's cool. Kudos.

The shame and best part is there is nicer camping just 5 miles north of that insidious place named Peace River Camp Ground. Funny thing, I've been to other places in that town and have friends who live there... nobody seems to share the attiude these folks did.

Thanks for the info. We were looking at spending a week end there. But this is Florida, plenty of other places to camp.

Yes - Croom. Dirt bikes and ATV's crank right at the crack of dawn :D

Really though, this is just sad stuff.

Ha! First off I'm a cop and I don't know too many that would actually charge you for "defrauding and Innkeeper", we're just gonna tell you to leave as long as you don't yell at us!!!Unfortunately this campground has a right to treat you the way they did:shakehead:

I've been to a couple campgrounds where there was maybe one or two "grouchy" old rangers that felt they were the dictator in charge of a new fascist state:dork2: But, this "Peace River Campground" seems like it's run by a bunch of p/o'd highschool dropouts... which is insulting higschool dropouts everywhere...

If they think you guys gave them a hard time... We should send 1,500+ spring break group from "mid-90's" Daytona beach... You know the ones that were jumping off the balconies and making "adjoining" rooms by punching holes in the walls!!! The same kind that when they were told to pack up and get out by management, would take ALL of the furniture from EVERY room and throw it off the balcony to the pool deck:mooner:.... We'd only have to buy them a couple of kegs and they'll go wherever we want!:D

The Staff at the Peace River Campground would flee in horror!!!:rofl3:

P.S. if a punk kid would've driven through my campground w/ an ATV... I would've yanked his key out and thrown it in the fire!!!

Hey speargirl,

unfortunately not quite assault... However it is VERY bad business practices... and this forum is the best way of getting the word out, maybe the owners will be forced to hire new staff and management???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom