• 0.8-0.89 cu ft/min, 22.6-25.4 l/min

Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 0.9-0.99 cu ft/min, 25.5-28.2 l/min

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • greater than or equal to 1.0 cu ft/min, 28.3 l/min

Votes: 14 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@scubadada @Duke Dive Medicine wanted to write a quick follow up post to my experience with covid and what we had talked about in this thread back in February.

Sadly I was never able to make it to a doctor. It's hard for me to find the time when I was progressively feeling better. I have dove consistently over the last few months, but my cough would still be there. I remember someone saying "you still have the cough?" within the last month but as of today it's 100% gone. Although I couldn't put an exact date on it, it's finally cleared up all the way in the last 3 weeks. I can breath deeply and don't feel anything abnormal at all.

What really brought my attention to it was the dive on Sunday. It felt perfect.. breathing was 100% back to normal. Not 1 cough in the 78 min I was under. Felt fantastic!

So for me (37 year old) it seems it took a full 7 months before being 100% back to normal. SAC for the dive averaged .54!
I suspect I had a case of asymptomatic COVID as my son had a very mild case and gave it to my daughter, slightly worse, and my wife, who has a persistent cough. All three tested positive. I didn’t test because the guidelines say not to test if not symptomatic, and more importantly, if I had a positive test, I would be out at work for 5-10 days on my own time, leaving my partners short staffed because of summer vacations. I did continue to wear a KN95 mask as per the recommendation for a known exposure. The only real objective finding was a slight decrease in my running efficiency and calculated VO2 max that my smart watch gave me. It lasted for just over a week and now I am back to trend. I also noticed it subjectively as my regular running routes seemed a bit harder, although at no point was I really struggling to breath.

I suspect I had a case of asymptomatic COVID as my son had a very mild case and gave it to my daughter, slightly worse, and my wife, who has a persistent cough. All three tested positive. I didn’t test because the guidelines say not to test if not symptomatic, and more importantly, if I had a positive test, I would be out at work for 5-10 days on my own time, leaving my partners short staffed because of summer vacations. I did continue to wear a KN95 mask as per the recommendation for a known exposure. The only real objective finding was a slight decrease in my running efficiency and calculated VO2 max that my smart watch gave me. It lasted for just over a week and now I am back to trend. I also noticed it subjectively as my regular running routes seemed a bit harder, although at no point was I really struggling to breath.

It's really interesting (to me). I said it earlier in this thread, but of the 7 people that had it in my family in that timeframe (so I would assume same strain, etc., etc.) only the ones that are related to me by blood even got a cough at all. The others never got a cough and actually seemed to fair a lot better than we did. My father and I had it the worst, but his was 100% gone by the 6th week or so. I was the only one to also get pneumonia, so not really sure what did the most damage.

To me it's a little fascinating because it seems genetics play a big part in how hard you "get hit".

It's really interesting (to me). I said it earlier in this thread, but of the 7 people that had it in my family in that timeframe (so I would assume same strain, etc., etc.) only the ones that are related to me by blood even got a cough at all. The others never got a cough and actually seemed to fair a lot better than we did. My father and I had it the worst, but his was 100% gone by the 6th week or so. I was the only one to also get pneumonia, so not really sure what did the most damage.

To me it's a little fascinating because it seems genetics play a big part in how hard you "get hit".
I tested positive (home test) after returning from the SB Invasion last month. I really didn't feel bad but had some minor indications such as a more than normal irritated throat and slight loss of smell. I say more than normal irritated throat because I had a severe case of laryngitis back in the late 80s that apparently left some type of scarring on my throat because I've had an easily irritated area on my lower throat since then which will make me cough. Interestingly, though, I do not usually have the urge to cough while diving which you would think the dry compressed air would irritate my throat.

Anyway, it only took about a week to test negative again and to get my smell back. The excess irritation is about gone so I'm pretty much back to normal. My wife never got any symptoms and in fact tested negative. My sister has been staying with us due to breaking her leg (she lives alone and can't get around her own house in a wheelchair) and she never exhibited any symptoms or felt bad in any way. My wife has type O-positive blood which, as we understand, gives the person with that type a resilience to covid. As for my sister, perhaps genetics does play a part but probably the fact all of us had been vaccinated played a big part as well and why my covid wasn't any more severe than it was. I've had summer colds that were worse.

I tested positive (home test) after returning from the SB Invasion last month. I really didn't feel bad but had some minor indications such as a more than normal irritated throat and slight loss of smell. I say more than normal irritated throat because I had a severe case of laryngitis back in the late 80s that apparently left some type of scarring on my throat because I've had an easily irritated area on my lower throat since then which will make me cough. Interestingly, though, I do not usually have the urge to cough while diving which you would think the dry compressed air would irritate my throat.

Anyway, it only took about a week to test negative again and to get my smell back. The excess irritation is about gone so I'm pretty much back to normal. My wife never got any symptoms and in fact tested negative. My sister has been staying with us due to breaking her leg (she lives alone and can't get around her own house in a wheelchair) and she never exhibited any symptoms or felt bad in any way. My wife has type O-positive blood which, as we understand, gives the person with that type a resilience to covid. As for my sister, perhaps genetics does play a part but probably the fact all of us had been vaccinated played a big part as well and why my covid wasn't any more severe than it was. I've had summer colds that were worse.

I agree.. I've been way more sick. This was weird (for me) how it just drug on forever. I don't remember sleeping all that much, but my son says I slept a lot. I asked him to watch a series with me and he said we already watched that... I'll be darned, started skimming through and I was on episode 9 before I couldn't recall anything. So I must have really been really out of it.

I have been more sick, but I've never had something quite like covid. Multiple times I was feeling better, almost normal, and then I would go right back down again. Very strange experience.

Hi @GreggS

Let us know when you're back diving and how you do
Sure will. I'll be going this weekend. We were planning on going this past weekend but my wife had to have emergency dental surgery last week and her teeth and gums were a little too sore. I don't think I'll have any problems as I never actually had any breathing problems at all.

Hi @GreggS

Let us know when you're back diving and how you do
So, I went diving this past weekend and didn't have any problem what-so-ever. Only did one dive which lasted for 38 minutes and went to 92ffw. Normally we would do two dives, but it was at a treasure hunt so after the first dive, we had lunch and then drew for prizes. By the time that was over around 2:00, we packed up and came home.

Now over 32,000 views, 17 more votes in the poll:
1661029979574.png

The median, mode, and weighted average all remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.7 liters/min

Good diving for everyone

Another 1000 views, now over 33,000, and 14 more votes in the poll.

1665484870237.png

The median, mode, and weighted average all remain 0.5-0.59 cu ft/min or 14.2-16.7 liters/min

If you have not voted in the poll, please do so. If your average RMV has changed, change your vote.

An interesting read, so I signed up just to add to the poll.

I'm fairly consistant around .43/.44 unless spearing. I actually keep SAC on the main computer screen as a reminder. It's amazing what a camera rig or spear will do to SAC with out even being conscious of it, so that on screen reminder can be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom