Average Divemaster's Salary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliDenna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Came across this article just now.....:confused:wonder where their numbers came from (especially if it's an "average" then where are those DMs working that are at the top of the scale?) And according to them, DMs make more than Instructors...LOL

[h=2]Salary[/h]
  • The average salary of a divemaster, according to simplyhired.com is $38,000. If you work in a gear shop you can also earn commission from equipment sales.

And then another one of their articles states for dive instructors:

[h=2]Average Salary[/h]
  • According to simplyhired.com, the average salary for dive instructors in the United States is $36,000 a year. This amount varies tremendously, however, as most local dive shops hire only part time instructors, who may or may not fill in additional hours by working in the shop. Instructors are also generally paid on a per-student basis, which varies by level and course taught. A beginning Open Water instructor can expect to earn about $15,000 to $18,000 per year.

I can attest to the fact that in California, the average salary for a divemaster is zero. We do get "free" boat trips when we work...most of the time. Most DMs on the charter boats are hired by the shop chartering the boat, so the money in the tip jar is for boat crew only.
We also get to schlep tanks and rental gear for students, spend 8-10 hours at the beach taking students down and going over their drills, and any other chore the instructor needs done. I helped my instructor move twice and even house sat with his sock-eating dogs.

Came across this article just now.....:confused:wonder where their numbers came from (especially if it's an "average" then where are those DMs working that are at the top of the scale?) And according to them, DMs make more than Instructors...LOL

Maybe that's why so many divemasters never go on to be instructors:)

Most of the divemasters I know, myself included, make no money as a divemaster. I get free air, free VIPs, and a substantial discount on scuba gear at the shop I DM for, but I don't get any salary or commission. We all have our regular jobs in addition to being divemasters. I suspect there are lots of divemasters in the same boat as me.

Ron

DM's in Monterey make minimum wage or sometimes even less on diveboats. We get paid a flat rate plus tip, and sometimes the day just goes a bit longer. Scuba shops are more or less the same in the Monterey Peninsula, and it's more really an on call basis. I would love to make a 38,000 salary.

Maybe they're looking at Dive Safety Officer jobs which would be more around that number. Although the number of DM's that hold an Assistant DSO position are so few, and most of them eventually get placed into an ITC.

38 grand, i need to start working in the US . i have never made this amount .it is usually only hand to mouth pocket money depending on season and but as said above it is usually free air and free boat ride . its not really a career its more a lifestyle .if your motivations are cash orientated you are in the wrong game !!!

Salary

• The average salary of a divemaster, according to simplyhired.com is $38,000. If you work in a gear shop you can also earn commission from equipment sales.

And then another one of their articles states for dive instructors:

Average Salary

• According to simplyhired.com, the average salary for dive instructors in the United States is $36,000 a year. This amount varies tremendously, however, as most local dive shops hire only part time instructors, who may or may not fill in additional hours by working in the shop. Instructors are also generally paid on a per-student basis, which varies by level and course taught. A beginning Open Water instructor can expect to earn about $15,000 to $18,000 per year.

This is way WAY out of the ballpark.

The only way a DM can make that kind of money is if they work in a shop and DM for that shop. They're still called a DM but the money is coming from being a shop employee, which in itself does not require a DM certification.

I would think that DM's who are NOT working for the shop have an average salary approaching zero.

Instructors do it marginally better but most instructors who do it for a "hobby job" make *maybe* enough to cover the expenses of their hobby and may hold over enough to take a dive trip per year (maybe a couple thousand pure profit per year for the evening/weekend warrior). In terms of the effort put in, both DM's and instructors would make more money on an hourly basis shaking the oil out of the fries at McDonalds.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom