Average Divemaster's Salary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the word "salary" that makes the story wrong. A divemaster working on dive boats at an upper end dive resort can do pretty well when tips are included. On a good day, a DM might make a total with hourly wage and tips added up, of $150.00 That's a really good day. However, at such dive resorts most (but not all) DM's have instructor credentials, so how do you classify that? Also, some days a DM leads divers, and on others they may have shop duty, with equipment maintenance, tank filling, and no tips. There are a lot of variables, but the income listed is much higher than what I have experienced or had reported to me. Retail sales in a dive shop does not require a professional credential, and should be categorized as retail sales, not instructor or DM income. The fact is, if you are full time scuba worker, you probably have many jobs, from retail sales, to equipment repair and maintenance, instructor, and divemaster or dive leader. I have never met a DM who was on a salary, anywhere, ever. If you know one, or if you are one, please weigh in on this thread.
DivemasterDennis

I can attest to the fact that in California, the average salary for a divemaster is zero. We do get "free" boat trips when we work...most of the time. Most DMs on the charter boats are hired by the shop chartering the boat, so the money in the tip jar is for boat crew only.
We also get to schlep tanks and rental gear for students, spend 8-10 hours at the beach taking students down and going over their drills, and any other chore the instructor needs done. I helped my instructor move twice and even house sat with his sock-eating dogs.

The stastic of $38K seems crazy. Am curious--Why would you do all that for zero? Is it just, as they say, for the love of diving? Can't be-- You're always working (mostly in 20' of water assisting with classes, although I guess if you DM a charter you get to dive free, but with all sorts of work and responsibilities). I had a love of teaching as a school teacher, but damn, they paid me.

Maybe they're looking at Dive Safety Officer jobs which would be more around that number. Although the number of DM's that hold an Assistant DSO position are so few, and most of them eventually get placed into an ITC.

After I read the article I initially thought perhaps they were mis-labeling it as something such as a Dive Safety Officer, etc. but then at the very top of the article they define a Divemaster as:

A divemaster leads diving trips and helps divers in and out of the water. He goes on the boat with the divers to their destinations and is responsible for ensuring their safety and preventing accidents.

The stastic of $38K seems crazy. Am curious--Why would you do all that for zero? Is it just, as they say, for the love of diving? Can't be-- You're always working (mostly in 20' of water assisting with classes, although I guess if you DM a charter you get to dive free, but with all sorts of work and responsibilities). I had a love of teaching as a school teacher, but damn, they paid me.
I worked at a dive shop part time on weekends for several years. One of our instructors said he would take my wife and me from AOW through AI if we helped out with classes. It was a two year internship, and our only costs were the books and cards.
Our shop would charter one boat each month and we would work as DMs on the boat, unpaid. Most times we could squeeze in one dive each, but not always. Once we didn't sell enough spots, so we had to pay for our own spots and still work. We never received a cent for any of our time as DMs. After a year of working boats I decided not to renew my DM card. I've been happy ever since.

After I read the article I initially thought perhaps they were mis-labeling it as something such as a Dive Safety Officer, etc. but then at the very top of the article they define a Divemaster as:

A divemaster leads diving trips and helps divers in and out of the water. He goes on the boat with the divers to their destinations and is responsible for ensuring their safety and preventing accidents.

Yeah, but let's not forget this is ehow. :wink:
Where else would they get that number. And I'm not too convinced about the author's background with regards to this article.

Back
Top Bottom