Average age of divers today???

What is your age I am looking for average age of divers today.

• 10yr to 19yr

Votes: 26 2.5%
  • 20yr to 29yr

Votes: 139 13.2%
  • 30yr to 39yr

Votes: 231 22.0%
  • 40yr to 49yr

Votes: 262 24.9%
  • 50yr to 59yr

Votes: 286 27.2%
  • 60yr to 69yr

Votes: 96 9.1%
  • 70yr+ You just cant quit diving.

Votes: 12 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard back in the old days, diving used to be somewhat... Cheap (?)
Well it depends what you call cheap.
I'm 48 and have been diving for 13 years, but I've heard stories about what stuff costed then in relation to what the average person made and we're better off now.
Back in the late 50's when double hose regs were common, the price for one today adjusted for inflation would be between $1200 to $1500 just for the reg.
Back then they were somewhere around $79.00 but journeyman wage was only $3.00 - $4.00 an hour.
I talked to a guy who started diving back then and he said a friend and him saved up for months to get one and put their money together to buy one. They would take turns using it, one guy would be on scuba cruising around and the other skin dove then they would switch.

Actually now a person could get into scuba dirt cheap if they knew what to get used on ebay or craigslist. I have piles of old gear people just give me because they know I like to collect old gear, and the stuff is perfectly usable.

One of these days I'm going to do an experiment to see just how inexpensively a person could get into scuba as far as gear goes.

I was certified in 1970 and up till last year have been diving regularly. I have had to take this year off due to cardiac surgery, but will get back in in 2012. For years I was the youngest on the charters, now years later I'm sometimes the oldest. I still love it, and will dive as long as I can. Cousteau dived until he was 80 I believe.

Didn't start till I was 49. All of the 8 members of our regular dive group are over 50 and a few will be joining me in the 60 category soon. Most of the people we see diving regularly are either younger with no kids and decent incomes (higher expendable income) and those whose kids have grown up and who have paid down debts (higher expendable income) There seems to be a drop off when people have their families, get mortgages and the focus turns to those things which is reasonable. Someone mentioned to me recently... life is about ages and stages.... income, debts, jobs and available time impact all "leisure activities"..

Hi Gang! 46yo, resort cert in 2009, and 16 logged dives. My wife and I have two daughters ages 8 and 12...the 12yo got certified with me in 09' (she was 10). I'll I want to do is dive and my oldest feels the same way. Our Belize trip last fall was extraordinary to say the least, and REALLY set the hook! Now we have our own gear, and this year will be MUCH more diving together, including some local trips to the New Mexico Blue Hole. Even my wife is now considering trying scuba again after a bad experience in the 80's at a club med Mex.

I will echo much that has been said before...Diving in exotic locations is BANK, and most don't have the cash until later in life. I will say that the experiences I've been able to share with my girls is nothing short of spiritual! The amount of cash expended in Belize was also biblical in proportion! LOL! In the end, for me, it truly breaks down to time, desire and money...Again to achieve all of those at once require age! Take out one of those components and the likely hood of not diving rises exponentially. Years ago, having little kids, low income, and lack of time I never could have conceived of diving. Now I am truly blessed with a rockin' income (both his and hers) and really cool kids that love to play...10 years ago I was a poor mo'fo staring bankruptcy in the face. Hard work, perseverance and a lot of grace has enabled me in my mature age to be able to afford this crazy and wonderful sport. And I thank God every day for the opportunity!

827 votes and almost 6,600 views..... no telling what the truth is...

I'm in the 30 - 39 bracket :)

fwiw, my LDS has a very popular kids program (PADI bubblemaker).

I'll be putting my kids through it for their 8th birthday (min age is 8 years)

Hi, I'm 55 yrs old. Just back from some great diving in Hurghada. Stayed at the Safir Hotel which has a large dive boat on site and dive company is Seafari.
Chris

This distribution does not bode well for the industry. Neither does the state of future of our reefs. I will count myself lucky to have seen these wonders.
Not sure I agree with the first part. I have seen here on SB that a lot of folks get their training or take up (or restart) the sport later on (40-50s). This provides a market segment that is capable of purchasing trips, gear, etc. If the Harley Davidson market relied on 20 somethings, I don't think that would be a viable market for them. The same is true for SCUBA.
I agree with the second part though. We need to do what we can to help preserve the U/W world. Saving coral reefs and their value is a somewhat abstract concept for anyone except those of us that dive.

Back
Top Bottom