Avalon Harbor Underwater Cleanup - Start planning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but apparently the Catalina Express boats will NOT be running from Long Beach the day of the clean-up. They begin dredging the boat channel this Tues (Feb 9th) and will be out until April 15th I believe.

Boats will be running the Long Beach scheduled times, but out of the San Pedro terminal. I'm sure the Express' reservations people will give you a heads up.

The Catalina Express website indicates that the dredging is March 9-April 15. I had to check because I'm about to make reservations...

I am pleased to announce that I made the first mistake of my entire 62 years. I posted the Long Beach service would be suspended starting February 9th. I went back and re-read the paper, this time without my dirty glasses, and it is starting MARCH 9th. This will not affect the Avalon Harbor Clean-Up or anything occurring between now and March 8th. Very happy I was mistaken because it changes my travel plans for the better!!!

You had me worried I wouldn't be able to have my lunch at Bubba Gumps before I depart from Long Beach ."Shew"!!! No harm no foul.

Hi everybody,

I'd love to come. I have a 21' WA striper boat so if a few of you want to join me and pitch in for gas let me know.

I have been in years the ferry won't run due to high seas and you want to go in winter in a 21ft boat? Good luck and I hope no film at 11:00pm! :wink:

I have made the crossing many times but I always check the conditions before to make sure it is safe to do so. In a couple of occasions I make it out of LB harbor just to turn back. I always play it safe.

Got my express reservation, got the cleanup packet in the mail, got the paperwork done.

I just need to buddy up.. due to the weather forecast and early morning adventure.. looks like I am solo. Confirmed diving step beach.

Anybody else here solo on the beach?

Hey, all. Dive buddy Bill (not that Bill) and I are going to be there on Saturday morning. Forgive my ignorance but I had no idea the harbor clean up was such a big deal. In fact its the biggest deal. Anyway, we didn't pre register and I was wondering if the dive park will still be open for fun diving in the event that there aren't any "slots" open for the clean up dives. Also wondering what the water temp is. We're used to diving in our local lake at 52 vt3 degrees. Wondering if the harbor is warmer. Dive safe.

I have been in years the ferry won't run due to high seas and you want to go in winter in a 21ft boat? Good luck and I hope no film at 11:00pm! :wink:

My high school students used to regularly cross the Channel during winter at night in homemade kayaks. Of course they'd do anything to see their girlfriends!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom