Auto INON D-2000 vs Manual Ikelite DS50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Ikelite DS50 that I've never used underwater yet. Having checked the unit out I'm a little apprehensive as I'm not very comfortable with having to set manual exposure. So I'm thinking about just selling this unit and getting one of those strobes with auto flash like the Inon D2000. This is for use with one of those Canon SD700IS or Canon G9. So my question is, does the auto function really work or it still requires a lot of tweaking? Should I just keep the new DS50?

Thanks!

Don't you mean a DS-51? The DS-50 has not been made for a while.

If it is a DS-51, it works great with a P&S using the manual controller 4100.6.

A DS-51 would also work great witha G-9 and a sync cord.

The DS-51 is a sweet compact strobe.

If it is the DS-51 or DS-50...and you go with the G9 in an Ike Housing....you will have no worries. That combo offers eTTL (which means that you should not have to mess around with strobe settings).

And yes, the auto feature on the Inon strobes works very well.

HTH,
Dave

Unfortunate it's the DS50. Had it with me for two years...never been used. I was going to buy a G6 so that I can have eTTL. Unfortunately, once I got the G6...Ikelite discountinued the housing for that! The lady I spoke with at Reef Photo & Video several times was no help at all. The housing was just discontinued and I was hoping the shop where I just bought the strobe would help me find a solution. I'll never buy anything there anymore!!!

I have an EV controller with it. I'm not too good of a diver and I don't think I can afford to fiddle with settings underwater. Is there a quick way to preset this?

I'm not too good of a diver and I don't think I can afford to fiddle with settings underwater.

For your own safety, the safety of your dive buddy, and the safety of the reef, please don't take any camera underwater until your diving skills have improved.

For your own safety, the safety of your dive buddy, and the safety of the reef, please don't take any camera underwater until your diving skills have improved.

Bob...go away.

It is very easy to preset the EV controller.

Obviously it is helpful if you can change settings as needed. The EV controller is very easy to change underwater.

I suggest you jump in a pool and play with it for a while.

Most of my shots will be crabs, shrimps or other stuff that are on the sea floor. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. Since I already have the DS50, I could go buy me a PowerShot G9 w/ housing which will run to around $600 total. Or I can use my current digital but buy the Inon D2000.

The D2000 is a one of those things that remarkably works as advertized.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom