Auto Accident - What Insurance Doesn't Cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course it is everywhere. I live near a tourist town. The one convenience store on the main highway doesn't post prices on junk like the disposable cameras and such. If you are a tourist who probably cant find Walmart, the quote price is much higher.

Here is an update from someone that just got bacl from Cozumel. This person rented from Isis, and had this to say. Just more info to help you decide if it is personally worth it to yhou to rent. I'm leaning towards renting on my next trip.

Does Isis............ - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

I rented from Margarita last week. No problems at all! She is a wonderful lady who will take VERY good care of you. I also had a nice chat with her about everyone's concerns regarding lost wages liability. I really think this issue has been overblown through the internet -largely because of the Pastor who is using his bad experience as propaganda. I learned these facts.

-NO INSURANCE in Mexico covers lost wages - (you can get sued for millions in the states if you have an accident and hurt someone! You'll fare much cheaper in Cozumel.)

-Margarita's insurance through ISIS provides a Mexican Attorney to represent you! The Pastor never had ANY counsel - legal or otherwise - so, he went to jail (never should have happened) and had to pay a lot of money (could have paid a LOT less or none).

-Margarita will not leave you alone and will help you if you have an accident. She is an honest, kind, generous and wonderful lady!

My advice:

1. Rent a car through ISIS Rentadora and explore the beautiful island.

2. Drive very carefully and defensively, especially in San Miguel.

3. Familiarize yourself with the traffic signs -- Be kind and yield.

4. Don't drive drunk - on alcohol or religion:)

So ... there's my 2 centavos. Cheers!

The issue is NOT overblown. You are solely responsible for lost wages. There is NO insurance available for it. Period. I don't see that as overblown, but a big liability (however slim/slight or small it may be). An attorney may help, but you are still potentially responsible for hundreds or thousands of dollars.

This is not an isolated incident as I have had this very thing happen to my wifes uncle in 2009. He got out for cheap due to his federal connections, if not, he might very well have ended up like the pastor.

In the US, as a car renter, you can get full coverage with extra limits that will essentially cover you for just about any type of accident. Same goes for Europe and other major countries.

I will no longer rent for the week, BUT I would consider a day rental from someone like Isis just to make the trip to the East side.

I have not been able to read every thread on this....but I will agree wholeheartedly that if you are going to rent, then do so from Margarita @ Rentadora.
Ever since my accident she has taken very good care of me. She even gave me a super great rate on a long term rental when it was necessary for me to rent a car for a month. She and her husband went out of their way to inform me how the insurance works and any caveats, understanding my nervousness at renting and exactly how their insurance policy was spelled out. She even went to her deck and pulled out their policy for me to look at.

I really can not say enough good things about them, and that includes showing up a little late one night, when I accidentally locked my keys in the car.
Super people and super service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom