Austin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba - that's very helpful ---- but what's worth doing? What are the attractions? Any of it good? Any of it really cool & awesome & special?

As for the special cert for the springs - what is it? Just cave?

I think it's really cool & awesome & special soaring through the tree tops of an old sunken forest at 90' or flying along submerged limestone cliffs. I really like looking for the beautifully colored Texas Cichlids or redear sunfish and pumpkinseeds that I fished for as a kid. Your idea of what's really cool & awesome & special may differ from mine, however.

double post

We find it really cool & awesome & special that the water in the Comal river is 72 degrees year round, thereby providing really cool & awesome & special wintertime wetsuit diving. The San Marcos river can be dived also, but in order to dive Spring Lake (Aquarena Springs) you can take a weekend cert course. All of these bodies of water come from the same headwaters, so they provide nice, warm water for winter. Travis will be cold, but you New Yawkas are already used to cold water.

So what kind of really cool & awesome & special diving are you used to, friend? If it's warm waters with unlimited vis, you may not like it here. The Comal is a 45 min drift dive in very shallow water, 15' at most, with lots of fish and very little stress. Nice especially if it's a sunny day, the vis can be very good- 15' ft or more. At those depths, you can hang around the sandy bottom as long as you want and feel your blood pressure lower. I've never dived the San Marcos river, I do remember reading that it's very, very shallow- maybe 8-10 ft? Aquarena is the primo spot to dive inland Texas for good vis- 100+ ft. But there's still the matter of that special cert, in order to dive there.

Have fun diving in Texas- we all evidently think it's worth the effort. :wink:

Last edited:
Ohhh you just gotta dive and hang out with the locals. You can dive with us DIMWITs, and then afterwords we'll hook you up with Leslie. He ran for mayor here once and is a well known local celebrity. He'll show you the night life. He's not a diver, but he'll be happy to hang around in his bathing suit while you dive with the DIMWITs.

You two can go out and get into mischief on 6th street after your dives :eyebrow:

Are you kidding, no wrecks in Lake Travis? What about Wreck Alley, aka Scuba Park.

Check out my web site, Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba. I offer a dive charter to various sites off the lake shores.

You can find reviews and comments on this forum by searching for Lake Travis Scuba.

Check it out and let me know if you are interested in seeing the many sites worth exploring.

What a heady question from someone who exists North of Lake Murray.. Does Austin Exist???

Is Austin real or it is just a state of mind???

Leave the poor thing alone... remember what diving in NYC is like-- CSI NY... you cant dive in most of the lakes in NY State because they are water supplies to NYC and the 911 thing has everyone paranoid...

I guess that is the reason Dive Rite and others sell the chemical resistant Wing-- East River Diving... and we though Athens and Blue Lagoon were bad...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom