Austin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or Halloween! :rofl3:

Hmmmmm.... Diving 6th street in Austin... surely there is a C-card for that somewhere? How about it Mack?

Diving on Sixth street? Hmmm National Geo specialty might work (studying "wild life"?).

And yes, Dear Yankee, there really IS an Austin, Texas. Alas, the fair city is far and yon from any ocean, so that leaves an aquatic adventurer to sally forth to Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, the Comal River, or perhaps the San Marcos Springs (though you have to have a special cert for that one). Welcome to Texas. Now you know why we're called "Swamp Divers".

Guba - that's very helpful ---- but what's worth doing? What are the attractions? Any of it good? Any of it really cool & awesome & special?

As for the special cert for the springs - what is it? Just cave?

So is it far from that Gulf of Mexico thing? I assume there's some kind of diving there...

Look at post #5 ....... if you think you need more specifics drop me a PM....but again if your visit is this time of the year the GoM can be testy.

????..... your not by chance from that place they call Canada are you????

No, I'm from New York. I do accept that places outside of New York exist as a matter of general principle since the earth is round but if you swim across the east river you don't end up in Chelsea.

I guess maybe I asked my initial question the wrong way. How about this: Is there any diving worth doing convenient to Austin, and if so what?

Austin area diving is mostly of the low vis type. As for if it is worth doing, well, that depends upon the individual diver. I have not dove the Comal river yet, but from descriptions that I have heard it is very shallow, but clearer water. It is on my list of want to dives here locally. San Marcos springs is under the stewardship of a local university and is an environmentally sensitive area. Thus to dive the spring lake, you have to complete the local course, and it is designed for training volunteers to help keep the spring lake in excellent shape.

Lake Travis is the most dove area that I know of local to Austin, but can tend to be murky. Best bet for diving Travis is to schedule a trip with Lake Travis Scuba (Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba) as they can get you to the more interesting sites.

Others here on the board can give you more details of the sites, but I hope that you find this helpful.

No, I'm from New York. I do accept that places outside of New York exist as a matter of general principle since the earth is round but if you swim across the east river you don't end up in Chelsea.

I guess maybe I asked my initial question the wrong way. How about this: Is there any diving worth doing convenient to Austin, and if so what?

Depends on what you consider "worth diving" I suppose. Are you looking for clear and warm? That's waaay south of here. Unfortunately, the lake is only about 140' deep right now. Vis varies, but has been decent for Lake Travis...15' near the bottom. There aren't any pretty fish unless you have a different idea of what most folks would call pretty. You can go diving in the trees and down to the riverbed. There's a dam you can actually enter if you're so inclined...you can even touch the spillway gates if you'd like. We call it touching 1 ATM. There are artifacts in the lake...from the dam construction and homesteads that used to be near the river (when it was a river). If none of that turns your crank then leave your gear at home and enjoy the live music and bar scene. Austin is a cool place...whether you dive or not. :wink:

Not to sound like a yankee, but I have no idea if Austin is landlocked, or where it is, except that its someplace very far away, if indeed it is a real place at all.

sounds like you need to be introduced to Mr. Google........good friend---@ times...........Google in case you just crawled out from under some rock.......

Back
Top Bottom