Austin to Cancun flights super cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeppers, I blame the media for most of our problems of masses of blind americans following like sheep on things that run accross the television.

I'm refering more to the fox's and cnn's of the world that spread propaganda :)

yep, call me crazy i'm used to it.

I don't think your crazy.

Thanks for the lively debate.

I think you brought up a very valid point about how should the media present the information, press releases, press conferences daily in order to decide what is news worthy. The government is in charge of the information on the flu thing.

A very interesting topic.

I should let this thread get back to the FUN stuff, like Scuba Diving and Mexico.

I can't wait to get to Cozumel myself this summer, and love direct flights, but I am stuck on Austin to Houston and Houston to COZ.

Love those direct 2 hour flights to the Caribbean.

Have a great weekend :D

I should let this thread get back to the FUN stuff, like Scuba Diving and Mexico.

Yup, sure sux to loose the cheap Mexican flights to Cancun... :D

I think all of you are missing the point. It is Viva that is saying that they are leaving due to the drop in reservations due to the flu. That is one that MAY have been the final straw but was not the only reason the plan failed.

First, Viva relied on being able to fill flights going to/from Monterrey. It ended up that they could not give them away. Air travel like most trading works on a triangle. In this case it was Austin, Cancun and Monterrey. One leg failed and they tried to prop it up with flights to PV. That plan also failed.

Second, by using their own terminal it was a real pain for anyone who did not use Austin as their point of departure. It was just not convenient for flolks to fly into Austin and connect with Viva. How they overlooked the problems of transfering passengers between the two terminals is close to criminal. Another attempt to boost business in Austin was subsidized bus fare to Houston and San Antonio.

Third, Viva started operations just before the largest oil bubble sent fuel costs through the roof and denied them the opportunity to aggressively price their seats. When you looked at the cost to fly Viva to Cancun, they were not that much less expensive than either Continental or American. Fuel costs became the dominant factor in pricing and it over shadowed Viva's bare bones operating philosophy.

Forth, starting in September the economy was beginning to tank and that cut into recreational spending. Viva cut flights from daily to twice a week. They tried to partner with Funjet but people just were not spending the money to travel.

The first two problems were flaws in Viva's business plan and they need to take full ownership for those. The next two problems were just bad timing to start a new airline service that no one could have predicted.

Personally, I don't buy Viva's excuse that they failed because of the swine flu. Right now my concern is that Austin has had one airline fail to make a go of regular international service and that will be a major deterrence to any other carriers making the attempt. In the end, Austin is stuck with a bad reputation and a pretty useless building that a lot of money was spent to upgrade.

Hi Shawn,

Now for the fun stuff. Just got the 2009 map for Coz. It is a big improvement over the old one. august cannot get here soon enough.

Hi Shawn,

Now for the fun stuff. Just got the 2009 map for Coz. It is a big improvement over the old one. august cannot get here soon enough.

when you say BIG improvement over the one i am looking at and dreaming of August

more detail or just updated or both?

Both!

Back
Top Bottom