Austin Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm contemplating a solo diving course. Does anyone have any suggestions on top knotch instructors in the Austin area that would work me hard to make sure my skills and attitudes are where they need to be? I've met one instructor (50Fathom) and he seems good but I'm guessing his DIR/GUE background might make him want to scoff at me for asking the question. :) I'll PM him though...

You'll know you've found a top knotch instructor ... after he/she talks you out of taking a solo diving course.

Now, now...we're trying to be all-inclusive good ambassadors for the philosophy and all that. We are not allowed to slag off on any other form of diving, regardless of our personal opinion/experience.

Remember the whole fly/honey/vinegar thing? If we treat people all nice and accepting, then maybe they won't be so standoffish and mean towards US. And you must admit, we are in the minority here.

Strategy and Tactics my man. When I'm surrounded and outnumbered, I don't go on the offensive. I dig in and score my points where I can.

Or, (and I'm just trying to think outside the box here); I just don't give a sh*t how anyone else wants to dive. Less stress that way, and be honest, who REALLY gives a ****?

OW, fun recreational dive? I'll dive with anyone, as long as they are not a total f*ckbucket. And even if they are, I'll bend over backwards to help them and make them a better diver. I'm an instructor, that's my job. I want to improve the general state of divers in any way I can. I'm INCLUSIVE, not divisive. I personally believe in the DIR/GUE philosophy, but not everyone else does. That doesn't mean that they can't get something from the training and the philosophy though.

I remember how much I used to crap on it. I was SOOOO against it. I wanted to machine gun everyone who was into it, just because. (I believe the best tool for diplomacy is the machine gun. It tends to settle things. One way or another.) Anyhow, I was SOOOO antagonistic towards DIR/GUE. I hated them all. Then I took Fundies. And it was a done deal. I guess I see it as, "if my mind can be opened, then ANYONE'S can."

Well maybe not, but I'll do my damndest to try, and I'll try and be cool about it. Folks will either go for it or not, I can't force anyone. Mostly because I don't have a machine gun. At least not yet.

Regarding the class, if you take one, please post a report on it. Solo diving seems to be big in Texas, so I figure the training is out there. I'd like to hear what is taught, emphasized and required for the course. Not being familiar with the solo courses, I would be interested in hearing how the other half lives, as it were. :wink:

FWIW, Six2Life has been a pretty good buddy. I wouldn't be suprised if the two of us don't ever go through a fundies class together if there ever is one and that 50Fathom is involved in that somehow.

Still, schedules don't always line up just right and I'm thinking I'd like to expand my envelop to include the possibility of going ala-solo from time to time.

Anyways, it sounds like I got what I was looking for. Thanks swampers.

Fellow swampers, thanks for defending the question, and yes rakpix didn't really answer my question, but I respect his position and it was said in pretty nice way. I used to hang out in Rec.Scuba years and years ago so compared to that, his answer wasn't really a machine gun.

Back
Top Bottom