Aussie diving April 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, bowl!!

cayal - LOL I don't get to dive very often it seems, but I've been trying my best to get out finally this month. I'm quasi-retired mostly (I'm also a professional photographer who only takes select commissions: read: I don't work that often LOL) after working my tail off for 17+ years in the industry so now I'm making a point to enjoy all of the things I worked so hard to make sure visitors to the Ningaloo Reef enjoyed!!

No diving today, but grabbed a friend and headed out for another snorkel. Needed someone to protect me from the circling lemon sharks. Who weren't there today. Or who weren't there in numbers or vision range, at least!! It was a blast: so many turtles, whiptail rays (at least two types), cowtail rays (again, at least two types), grey reef sharks, a couple of skittish lemon sharks, schools of this that and the other, shovelnose rays everywhere including a couple of huge ones. Tide turned while we were out so need to plan to get out a bit earlier next time. Doubt I'll get out tomorrow as the wind is meant to come in pretty hard so will probably blow conditions all to hell and they weren't that great today. At one point there were 12+ big rays (cowtails & whiptails) + 9 shovelnose all snoozing on the sand together. Awesome!!

Best find of the day: juvenile queensland groper!!

Here's a shovelnose & some groupies
APR13_133_zpsff17ccdf.jpg

panasonic TS3

Wow the shots are magical alcina! Sounds like a great spot to have available! Have you done any diving in Sydney?

I had to make a really hard call today. Fish was loading the gear when I woke up and I had to go tell him I didn't figure I should dive today:crying: Conditions were supposed to be flat and really good but I woke up a bit congested. Was coughing a bit at work.. so not sure if it was from the air conditioning and having to talk loud enough to be heard over a rather boisterous group of 23 or the start of a bit of a bug.

I figured if I am not sure I should dive.. I probably shouldn't. I will see how I am doing tomorrow. We got some stuff done today so that clears us for tomorrow to dive. What has me concerned is I have a period coming up where commitments will force me into a loing dry spell of 3 weeks or so:fear:

Hehe I'm the opposite mostly - if I'm not sure, I go and see how it works. Worst that can happen is I end up sitting out on the boat/shore; best is that I have a great dive :D

Hope you are feeling better and get out for some aqua therapy. I know I need some in a big way. Again torn on options for Monday - I have a big client project with a Tuesday deadline, but I think I'm going to have to go whale sharking or diving on Monday anyway :D

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

I was going to snorkel today after work, but the doggies really wanted to go for a swim so I loaded us all up and headed out to perfect conditions. No people, warm water (omg it's so awesome right now), brilliant sunshine, deserted beach, cold beverage - bliss. Total bliss. I know this isn't technically an underwater photo, but I'm sharing anyway :)
APR13_138_zps3e3f4034.jpg

I love your shots alcina.. look like water shots to me.. love the over under dog shot lol:)

Yeah... today I decided to give it a try. I figured fish and I could have a nice gentle dive and please ourselves so if I decided to make it a short dive or whatever..nobody else to inconvenience:)

I was feeling better today so we decided to dive. Just fish and I so we decided a really slow gentle dive would be fine. The high point of the dive was a baby Rosey weedfish! Less than 2 inches long and well hidden. I spent a fair bit of time with it trying different setting on the camera. Then I played with a little octopus. I will have to post a youtube video.. it was so cute. Saw at least 6 octopus Jim:)

Viz was pretty poor and there were a lot of dive schools with classes in the water. At one point a couple divers went by and made the area around us like we were in a snowglobe someone had shaken! They weren't even in a class:shocking:

Not sure what the orafice is on the side near the head but I suspect it is the sexual orafice:idk:

I like this shot.. just the way the cerata look like they are in a swirling circle

here is one with the finger in frame to show size

I was experimenting with the flash settings.. non to successfully I might add!

I played with a bit of light for effect here.... and the upside down pipefish is hiding near the pencil urchin. I don't like the plastic bread tag in the field but.. it was there and I didn't notice it during the dive.:(

Might be time for some +5/+10 wet diopter for you BoP!!!

What a cutie little fish!!

And yup, that's the nudis wonkie :D

Glad you got out for a dive.

I had a terrible night's sleep so have decided to skip going out on the boat today and get all the items on my Big Girl List done instead. I will try to treat myself to some ocean time later today AFTER I finish the project that simply must be done by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom