Aurora Reservoir on 6 Aug 04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy and I are so desperate to dive we are going to hop in the local mud puddle next Friday. I called and the water temp is 68F.

Has anyone around Denver, CO been in this reservoir and is there anything I should know before I go? I've checked out their regulations, but sometimes there are things you just don't know until you've gone and screwed it up first.

If anyone is interested in joining us, feel free to come on out. I'll be the one driving the black Jeep wrangler with the wife who can't stand mud puddles.

The viability sucks so stay off the bottom and you might see 10 feet and use a 7mm wet suit because of the water temp and thermal clines ...

We are going to dive it on the 8th for a refresher before we go to Cozamel at the end of the month ...

There is a plane out there not much to see but you can play around on it and swim through the cockpit area ... the fish are real skittish so you wont see much

Keep in touch and maybe we can dive some time rgonzaels66@comcast.net

Wijbrandus:
My dive buddy and I are so desperate to dive we are going to hop in the local mud puddle next Friday. I called and the water temp is 68F.

Has anyone around Denver, CO been in this reservoir and is there anything I should know before I go? I've checked out their regulations, but sometimes there are things you just don't know until you've gone and screwed it up first.

If anyone is interested in joining us, feel free to come on out. I'll be the one driving the black Jeep wrangler with the wife who can't stand mud puddles.

Guys... I'm originally from Aurora... you MUST be desperate! (but aren't all Midwesterners?).

Best of luck, and be sure to give us a "trip" report!

All I can say is desperate people do strange things. At least this beats snorkeling in my bathtub. :(

Wijbrandus:
All I can say is desperate people do strange things. At least this beats snorkeling in my bathtub. :(

We'll see if you still feel that way on Aug. 7... :wink:

Jmaserati:
Best of luck, and be sure to give us a "trip" report!

The day was a total disaster.

My wife decided she wasn't up to making the dive, so that left us a threesome (my buddy and his wife). She was the smart one. Sometimes she just has a feeling about impending doom.

It is a long story, I'm not sure I'm wanting to post it. However, today's disaster has made me realize quite a few things about myself, other divers, and diving safety in general. By the end of the day, we had two weight belts emergency ditched into the lake. In my heart I feel losing the weight belts had precedent over losing my buddies. I feel it was that close.

First lesson learned is I will never dive a threesome again. You are so screwed when both of your dive buddies have a crisis within thirty seconds of each other.

RGonzalez, if you happen to find two weight belts down there, I'll buy you a case of your favorite beer for their return. The LDS charged my friends $113 bucks for the lost weight.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad to know you could be here to write the report!

I think there are a lot of reasons why some places just don't seem to be "dive" sites.

Here's an idea... find out what happened to the old missile silos east of Aurora... then flood them in! How's that for a dive adventure? Let me know!

John

John,

Actually, I liked the dive site. I found the water very comfortable, the facilities appropriate, and I'm looking forward to diving it again. I admit, the vis was about ten feet, but I want to eventually dive coldwater wrecks (in like 2020 AD), so I don't mind crappy vis. It's good training.

I have a strong feeling my friends will never set foot in that water again though.

We didn't even make it to the descent line before the whole thing went south, so I have yet to see the airplane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom