August Roatan Exposure Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm off to FI this Saturday and wondering if a 3mm full is going to be too much of a Wetsuit, maybe I should just bring a 2mm Shorty?

I'm trying to keep my luggage to a minimum.

I could also just show up in my Mankini:D ?

I just got back from Roatan, and after 26 dives was just fine with a 0.5 mm Scubapro Steamer - although I did get get a little chilly the last few dives.

Dive Safe.

Too much for me, I dove a .5 sleeveless shortie in May until I swapped to a full skin....for sun burn protection, not thermal. They were all I needed.

We are headed down for our annual Roatan dive trip on August 11th and I have yet to dive with anything more than our swim trunks.

If anyone's down between the 11th and the 18th of August, we will be diving with Coconut Tree during the day and occupying three stools at the Twisted Toucan at night... Hope to see you there.

Enjoy!

The only real answer: Water temps will likely be 84 degrees.

You have to decide what this means to you. I dive in trunks, "Herself" always must have a three mil. It is all very individualized.

It also depends on how much diving you are going to do. On Roatan, I do 5 a day including a night dive. The body gets cold after a long run of repetitive diving. The big plus about August is that your SI (surface interval) spent on the boat, etc, will be nice and sunny.

Look at the current and historical records at http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html

I was in Roatan for 2 weeks in June and dived everyday with my full length 4/3. It was a bit "overkill" at times, but I also got chilled a few times, too. However, I'm very slender and tend to get cold easily. Overall, I was glad I took the 4/3, and will take it on my next Roatan trip (even in mid-summer).

We just got back from CCV on the 28th, I started out in my 1ml and was chilly on the last dive. I switched to my 3ml and was more comfortable. If I got warm, would just vent water into the wetsuit. I will now always bring my 3ml and leave the 1ml at home.

I agree with Doc. It all really depends on you!

I went to FI last october. I don't get cold easily. But using my 3mm full, on a few of the dives, I was starting to get chilly. These were always the last dive of the day. After 3/4 dives in a day, you get tired and feel the heat loss. I was glad to have my 3mm and never found it too hot. Except on the boat...:14:

Have a great trip!

i primarily used a 1mm oneil long sleeve surf shirt. i used it primarily to keep my arms protected. i did dive with just trunks a few times and was warm and comfy, but the backplate pulled some skin ouch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom