Aug - DWM Review in parts due to Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
AUG 13 – 23: Second time using DWM. First last Apr for 15 dives including my first nite dive.
Experience level: Total 49 dives including the 16 from this trip.

Dive Operator -Dive with Martin - Reasons: dove with them my last visit in Apr, Safe and Reliable operation, equipment at no additional cost (except wet suits, dive computers and dive lites), small fast boats and they pick up at the Wyndham Pier. Usually the first boat to the dive sites. They were extremely easy to work with. Liked the idea of sending a check to pay for most of my dives before leaving the states. Cash only once in Cozumel. Paid about 75% upfront just in case some days where cancelled. Received back confirmation voucher and liability forms via email. Printed and had all filled out before leaving. Dropped them off and got fitted for BCD and confirm pickup time after arrival on the way to the Wyndham.

Note: I stayed at the Wyndham Sabor (separate review on this forum that includes everything except diving). On site dive op – Sand Dollar charges $3 per day to use their pier for pickup. To offset this expense DWM paid my $2 per day marine park fee.

Equipment: Sealife DC1000 with SL 960 external strobe, Aeris XR1 dive computer, Henderson Neosport 3/2 jumpsuit, Tusa (Liberator mask – Imprex snorkel – full foot split fins) and Princeton Miniwave II, Tec 40 dive lite (had to replace this lite, lost on my first dive last Apr). Highly recommend having a small lite like the Tec 40 for day dives. Amazing how much more sealife you can spot looking under ledges and in dark places.
DIVE LOG
Day 1 – Fri:
Cozumel Airport – Very smooth. Didn’t get the red light. After picking up the rental car stopped by DVM shop to turn in my forms and get fitted for BCD. Pick up time 7:45 the next morning at the Wyndham pier. Partly cloudy and hot and humid.
Day 2 – Sat: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:50 am , Reef – Palancar Cave, [WX: Sea State - Glass , Wind - Light , Sky - Sunny ], [Vis – 70 ft , Max Depth - 83 ft, Max Temp at - 86 , Bottom Time – 46 mins, Current - light ], [DM - Lacoro , Boat Captain - Bond, Number of Divers counting me - 7]. Ended with 900lbs. We stayed as group and the DM would check everyones air. He wanted to know when you reached 1000 lbs and no less than 800 you were sent to the surface. Saw 2 turtles, large grouper at a cleaning station and normal marine life.
PICT0111.jpg

Second Dive: Reef - Dalila, [Sea State - Calm, Wind - Light, Sky – Partly Cloudy], [Vis – 70 ft , Max Depth - 62 ft, Temp at Bottom 83- , Bottom Time – 57 mins, Current – 1 – 2 kts], Current made it real difficult to stay in one place trying to get photos. Ended with 800 lbs. Saw 2 turtles and 2 nurse sharks swimming. 1 large green moray (about 5 ft) but current and other divers kept me from getting a pic. Couple of lobsters and normal marine life. Drop off time – 11:30 am,
Had Night dive schedule but canceled due to 2 divers opting out in the afternoon.
PICT0231.jpg

Day 3 – Sun: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:55 am, Reef – Palancar Horseshoe, [Sea State - Calm , Wind - Light, Sky - Sunny], [Vis - 100 ft, Max Depth - 79 ft, Max Temp - 82 , Bottom Time – 52 min, Current - light], [DM - David , Boat Captain - Antonio, Number of Divers counting me - 8]. Great safety brief. 1st person to hit 1000psi, David would ascent up to 25 ft and stay there until 500 psi is reach. Boat Capt had over a 50 ft line off stern of boat so everyone could hold onto and pull themselves to the boat to wait their turn. A lot easier than swimming to the boat. Had 2 fresh water pals – one for cameras. I stayed about 15 ft above most divers – wanted to get pics with bubbles rising. Ended with 900 PSI. Saw 1 turtle, lobster, crabs, 1 lion fish killed and fed to an anemone
PICT0084.jpg

Second Dive: Reef – Caracolillo, [WX Sea State – Slight Chop, Wind – 5 mph, Sky – Partly Cloudy], [Vis – 100 ft , Max Depth - 66 ft, Temp at Bottom - 84 , Bottom Time – 57 mins, Current – 1 kt ], Ended with 900 PSI. Saw 2 turtles, eagle ray, scorpion fish string rays, 1 lion fish killed and feed to anemone, 3 file fish, 1 trumpet fish, arrow crap, a couple of schools of big eyed jacks, and lots of marine life. David scooped up the scorpion fish with his hand so everyone could get a great look. Current made it difficult to stay in one place when trying to take photos. Drop off time – 11:15 am.
PICT0142.jpg

Afternoon: Took a drive around the island. Figures being Sunday and no cruise ships in port would be a good day for it. South end was crowded with all the locals. Cars parked everywhere to the point that at some places only one car could get through. Had to take turns with on coming traffic. Watch out for people walking from beach to their cars. Car with AC a must.

Day 4 – Mon: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:55 am, Reef – Columbia Deep, [WX: Sea State - Calm, Wind - Light , Sky - Sunny ], [Vis – 100 ft , Max Depth - 96 ft, Max - 83 , Bottom Time - 49 mins, Current - slight], [DM - Roberto, Boat Captain - Fransico , Number of Divers counting me - 6]. Good safety and reef brief. No rise bucket for cameras. Ended with 700 lbs. Didn’t like the fact that we left reef for sandy area with still 10 mins of bottom time – nothing to see. Came up from dive – cloudy and raining. Boat Capt had line to hold onto, this was great considering the sea state. Nice rock formations and some small swim through. Large ray that swam towards us when we first reached the bottom followed by some big eye jacks. Watched it as it buried itself in the sand Saw 1 turtle, the largest lion fish I’ve seen so far – about 8 in long. DM couldn’t catch it. Trumpet fish, 2 large groupers
PICT0194.jpg

Second Dive: Reef –Cedral Pass , [WX: Sea State – 1 – 2 ft chop, Wind - Windy, Sky - Rain], [Vis - 100 , Max Depth - 74 ft, Max Temp - 84 , Bottom Time – 42 mins, Current – At least 1 kt or more– strongest current so far], Had to use an 80 tank, took awhile to get my buoyancy right after diving with 100s. Really sucked downed the air swimming against the current trying to get photos. Ended with 400 lbs. My buddy and I both game up 10 mins before the rest. Came up from dive – sunny and seas – small chop. Saw 3 nurse sharks- one resting under rock formation, 2 turtles – one moving and eating slowly along the bottom followed by 2 large French angles, 2 lion fish. DM caught and fed it to an anemone, toad fish, loaded with marine life. Drop off time – 11:20 am.
PICT0264.jpg

Day 5 – Tues: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:55 am, Reef – Palancar Horseshoe to Palancar Gardens, [WX: Sea State - Calm , Wind - Light, Sky - Sunny], [Vis - 100, Max Depth - 79 ft, Max Temp - 84, Bottom Time – 52 mins, Current - slight], [DM - David, Boat Captain - Antonio, Number of Divers counting me - 7]. Another great safety brief, no rise bucket for cameras, short line with no float to hold onto at end of dive. Ended with 900 lbs. Saw: 3 nurse sharks sleeping, 4 turtles – all swimming –only one close, 1 lion fish – smallest one I’ve seen – 2 in long – fed to anemone.
PICT0308.jpg

Second Dive: Reef – San Francisco to Cardona, [Sea State – 1 ft chop, Wind – 8 kts or so, Sky – Overcast with rain Showers over island], [Vis – 100 ft, Max Depth - 61 ft, Max Temp - 84 , Bottom Time – 59 mins, Current – slight at first but picked up at end of dive], Lots of great marine life for pic taking. Drop off time – 11:25 am,
PICT0391.jpg

Day 6 – Wed: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:45 am, Reef – Colunbia Deep, [WX: Sea State – 1 -2 ft chop, Wind - Windy, Sky – Cloudy with rain showers], [Vis - 90, Max Depth - 107 ft, Max Temp - 79, Bottom Time – 48 mins, Current -Slight], [DM - Orlando, Boat Captain - Antonio, Number of Divers counting me - 7]. Good safety and reef brief. Surface with 700 lbs. Finished with 700 lbs. Boat Capt had over a 50 ft line off stern of boat with float. Had 2 fresh water pals. Saw 2 nurse sharks sleeping.
PICT0471.jpg

Second Dive: Reef - Caracolillo, [WX: Sea State - Choppy, Wind -Windy, Sky - Cloudy], [Vis - 90, Max Depth - 61 ft, Max Temp - 83, Bottom Time – 1:03 min, Current – Slight at first but pick up on second half of dive], Ended with 800 lbs. Saw large green moray, large cow fish. Drop off time – 11:15 am,
PICT0568.jpg

Day 7 – Thurs: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:55 am, Reef – Cedral Wall, [WX: Sea State - Calm, Wind - Light, Sky - Cloudy], [Vis - 80 , Max Depth - 77 ft, Max Temp - 80 , Bottom Time – 55 mins, Current - Slight], [DM - Orlando, Boat Captain - Antionio, Number of Divers counting me -7]. Ended 500 lbs.
PICT0673.jpg

Second Dive: Reef – La Francesa, [WX: Sea State – 1 ft chop, Wind - Light , Sky - Sunny], [Vis - 100 , Max Depth - 69 ft, Max Temp - 84 , Bottom Time – 61 mins, Current – 1 kt], Ended 700 lbs. Lots of marine life. First time to see this. Had a pair of French angles swim above me swimming through my bubbles and looked like trying to eat them. Turned out to be a great photo op for everyone. Drop off time – 11:20 am,
PICT0718.jpg

Day 8 – Fri: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:55 am, Reef – Last part of Palancar Gardens, [WX: Sea State – Slight chop , Wind - Light , Sky - Overcast], [Vis – 100 ft , Max Depth - 69 ft, Max Temp - 82, Bottom Time – 62 mins , Current – Slight], [DM - David, Boat Captain - Antonio , Number of Divers counting me - 7]. All photographers – opted for shallow dive for more bottom time and photo ops. Saw 4 turtles, 4 lion fish – fed to anemones, file fish, cow fish, loads of French and queen angles in pairs. A great dive. Ended 500 lbs.
PICT0815.jpg

Second Dive: Reef – El Pasa del Cedral, [WX: Sea State – 1 ft chop, Wind - Windy, Sky –Partly cloudy], [Vis – 100 ft , Max Depth - 75 ft, Max Temp - 84, Bottom Time -50 mins, Current – 1 ½ kt, strongest current so far], Ended 400 lbs. Saw 2 turtles, green moray, and once again loads of marine life making for great photo ops. Drop off time – 11:25 am,
PICT0924.jpg

Day 9 – Sat: First Dive: Pick up time – 7:50 am, Reef – Palancar Bricks to Palancar Caves, [WX: Sea State - Calm, Wind - Light, Sky - Sunny ], [Vis - 80, Max Depth - 70 ft, Max Temp - 79 , Bottom Time -58 mins, Current - Light], [DM - Orlando, Boat Captain - Antonio, Number of Divers counting me -8]. Saw 1 shark, 3 turtles. Ended 700lbs.
PICT0936.jpg

Second Dive: Reef – Cedral Wall, [WX: Sea State – Choppy, Wind - Windy, Sky – Partly Cloudy], [Vis - 80, Max Depth - 55 ft, Max Temp - 84, Bottom Time – 68 Mins, Current – ½ knot], Ended 500 lbs. Saw nurse shark, 2 turtles and lots angle and file fish in pairs. Drop off time – 11:25 am,
PICT1046.jpg

Afternoon: Took another drive around the island. Had a cooler with some beer. Nice to park, watch the ocean and have a drink. Did stop at Coconut’s for a drink. Expensive. Two tropical drinks and a beer $19 US.
Day 10 – Sun: In bed all day - sick. Canceled dive. Didn’t know until I got home and went to the doctor - I got Seabather’s Eruption. My own fault. Opened the neck and arms of wet suit to let the air out on my first dive on Sat. Let in the larval of the thimble jelly fish. Boy did they do a job on me. Had 101 temp and felt like I was walking around with the worst hangover ever. 10 days on Avelox and I’m 100% again. Thank goodness it happened on Sat and only lost 1 dive day.

Day 11 – Mon: Went Home. Everything smooth until customs at Houston. Took over an hour to get through, missed connection and was in line with 100 other passengers trying to get another flight. So I got home 4 hrs later than planned but didn’t let it ruin a great dive vacation.

Overview of Dive with Martin: I requested a 100 cc tank everyday and it was delivered at no extra cost except for one dive. Pick up for me was scheduled for 7:45 each day. Cold bottle water and fresh fruit each day. Liked the idea of them trying to keep the same divers together from day to day. DM’s would know everyone’s skill level which made for better diving. They did everything. Get the tanks ready with their gear or your own and bring them to you and help you get it on. If diving the next day they will clean and store your gear over night to be on the boat when picked up. If by chance your gear wasn’t on your boat one of the other 2 boats would have it. Back entry into the water. Dove your computer with your buddy or if you didn’t have one you dove same profile as DM depending on the DM. Tanks taken off in the water and DM and boat Capt would take them from you. Most DM’s would ask were we wanted to go. It was never an issue with us. We discussed where we had been, what we had seen and decided along with the DM’s help. Most Divers I dove with were not into how deep but how much marine live we would see.
Only one of the 3 DWM boats carried a separate rinse bucket for cameras and a 50 ft line with afloat on the end to hang onto while waiting your turn to board at the end of the dive. Twice I surfaced before the main body. The boat was always there for a quick pick up.

Every day the DM’s caught at least 1 lion fish up to 4. Each fed to an anemones.
I had the honor of diving with Jim for 4 days while he was on vacation. A professional/teacher of underwater photography. The hints he gave me greatly increased the quality of my photos.

Notes: 1: You are given a pick up time. Please be considerate of your fellow divers. Better that you have to wait for the boat than the boat full of divers waiting on you.
2: Okay might get flamed for this but here goes. Sand Dollar charges you $3 per person per day to use their pier at the Wyndham. One group refused to pay. So after picking me and others up at the pier the boat Capt had to back the boat up close to shore avoiding the swim area so that they could wad out to the boat. The same on the end of the day. Come on folks. DWM doesn’t charge you for the $2 park fee so it really only cost you $1 to use the pier. Plus think about the time you are wasting not only for the crew but the rest of the divers.
3: Bring along a small bottle of vinegar in your dive bag just in case if it works for you for stings.
Had a great time, already planning my next visit.

Great report, I cannot wait to be there. 11 more days.

The course of Avelox for Seabather's eruption is HIGHLY questionable, did you have serious complications or serious infection as a result of the rash? Antihistamines and Corticosteroids would have actually offered you some relief.

Mkull, I had little red stings all over my body and running 101 temp. All I know is I feel 100 % again. So it must of worked for me.

Great Dive Report !!!!

This is a great pre-Cozumel Dive trip report, I will be diving alone this time starting on the 23 of Sept. The daily report is valuable and exciting. The pictures are well done. Thanks for sharing and I will drink to you at the end of this month. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom