AUG 04 Dive Reports, Please post if you dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date:08 August 2004
Dive Location: Point Dume Pinacles
Time: 11:09 AM
Bottom Time: 45:00
Max Depth: 44 FSW
Vis: 20-25
Wave height: 2 ft
Temp: 65

I was DMing a DPV specialty. The first dive we went out into the submarine canyon (nothing special). We figured the current wasn't too bad, so we did the 2nd dive on the pinnacles. There was a significant longshore current, the DPVs were great for coming back to Westward Beach off the pinacles. The pity is mine didn't have quite enough juice to make it all the way back to Westward, I had a somewhat difficult swim back. Several other divers wound up exiting at the old Zuma cove. The DPVs were great for surveying, I got to see a lot, and this was my first dive out to the pinnacles. Definitely an awesome dive, and certainly makes me want to go back. One thing to watch out for, the lot was being closed down for some sort of event, our DM candidate who's in the TV industry thought it might be a commerical shoot starting tomorrow. Watch out for the parking if you're planning on diving Point Dume in the next couple of days (as noted in another thread, they won't refund your money). We got there before 8, the event parking started to hog the spots at about 8:15.

Date: 08/07/2004
Dive Location: Seal Rock - Deadmans Reef, Laguna Beach
Time: 9:15 am
Bottom Time: 80 minutes
Max Depth: 51 feet
Vis: 20 - 25
Wave height: 0-3
Temp at depth: 64 degrees
Comments: great dive. The marine mammal rescue center was releasing two elephant seals while we were entering. Saw 5 different moray eels, 3 dfferent octopi, 3 rock crabs and a horned shark. Great dive, excelent visibility.

Date: 08/08/2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Cove - East toward the caves
Time: 7:15 am
Bottom Time: 83 minutes
Max Depth: 17 feet
Vis: 20 - 25
Wave height: 0-1
Temp at depth: 67 degrees
Comments: Dive was OK - we followed divinman out and he gave us a heading to explore the caves. We had difficulty staying under in such shallow water - and at times we found ourselves surfacing without really knowing it! Nothing of note to report other than it was a good long dive with not much surface swimming.

Hi Sean,

I know my wife and I are newbies, and probably just lucky, but on July 31st we found the edge of the canyon, from the white buoy. Check out this map from divebums:

http://www.divebums.com/DiveSites/Scripps_Canyon.pdf

It's from the Scripps Canyon section of their website. Compare it to the map on the park side of the main lifeguard tower at the shores. It should help you get to the nearest point on the canyon. I think we maitained a more-or-less 270 degree heading from the buoy.

Being newbies, of course we didn't venture too far down the face. Our buoyancy control is, of course, atrocious. So, we didn't want a run-away descent :11: , if ya know what I mean. Maybe we can hook up at the shores, or even the cove one of these weekends.

Rich

divebuddysean:
Date: 08/04/2004
Dive Location: Marine Room/La Jolla Canyon
Time: 8:27 pm
Bottom Time: 37:40
Max Depth: 61 feet
Vis: 15-25
Wave height: 0-1 feet
Temp at depth: 52
Surface Temp: 68
Tide information: 1.4 feet
Comments: We met up at the marine room around dusk. Discussed our plan and geared up. On our swim out I saw 2 bat rays and 2 Leopard sharks which where about 3 feet long.We kicked out to the white buoy and dropped down heading out to sea at 270 degrees. On our way out I saw 4 sculpin, several crabs, a pipe fish, an octopus, and a few other fish I don't recognize. We continued onward getting deeper but we didn't find the canyon. We were so deep when we turned around our air was quickly being consumed. At 700 psi I decided we all had to surface in order to complete our safety stop. We agreed and met back at the surface after the stop.
We were very very far offshore so we kicked back for about 30 minutes to the shore.
Vis was very nice. The seas were calm. Conditions were great! We just went the wrong way!!!!

Sean

Pics:

http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/marineroom08052004

Date: 08/07/2004
Dive Location: Woods Cove/Laguna beach
Time: noonish
Bottom Time: 52 minutes
Max Depth: 26 feet
Vis: 15-20+
Wave height: 1-3 feet
Temp at depth: 60
Surface Temp: 67 (suunto)

Great dive, one of the best I have had shore diving in Laguna. We entered on the right side and did most of the dive around the boilers that almost break the surface a hundred or so yards out.

We found, two Moray eels, an Octopus, Bat Ray, tons of frenzied garabaldi, big schools of sardines, perch and other fish. Water was a clean blue, not green like it has been.

I got some great photos with my new Olympus C5000 in a PT-019 housing (no strobe, using built in flash) - attached.

Cheers - MikeT

miket:
I got some great photos with my new Olympus C5000 in a PT-019 housing (no strobe, using built in flash) - attached.
Cheers - MikeT

Great shot of the two spot octopus. Nice and crisp and good exposure.

Thanks for sharing.

ryanarcher said "we followed divinman out and he gave us a heading to explore the caves."

Well that must have been my evil twin cause I was no where near the Cove on Sunday. :11:

Divinman

:Wizard: Evil Twin :sgrin:Terry:sgrin: - Evil dive planner:

"Head out West from the white buoy to the canyon." (evil laugh)

"Beware of man seen in La Jolla Cove giving out false diving information"

Sean :banana:

Date: 09 August 2004
Dive Location: Crescent Cove
Time: 6:39 PM
Bottom Time: 54:50
Max Depth: 41 FSW
Vis: 10 feet of green
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Temp at depth: 61 Suunto Degrees
Surface Temp: 66 Suunto degrees
Tide information: 5:35 PM 5.1 feet
Comments:
Swam out to the South West originally intending to go to Deadmans Reef. Dropped down on top of good reef structure which we figure is part of the system going out from Seal Rock to Deadmans reef. Since that location was interesting and we had not explored it before, we stayed there and explored. Found an eel, chain and rope, abandoned lobster trap that someone had already fixed to cause no harm plus the usual suspects. The conditions were not as good as yesterday with more swell on the swim out and the water turning very green. The green water limiting visibility to maybe 10 feet. With the vis being less than yesterday we cancelled our planned second dive and went to dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom