ATX200 vs Aqualung Legend LX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjsmith1979

Registered
Reaction score
I need some help, what would people recommend out of the two regulators Apeks ATX200 vs Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. I am only doing some recreational diving in both warm and icy cold waters (Ice Diving in 32oF) however I am looking at doing my Advanced Nitrox Technical Course next month and hopefully will continue doing some technical diving. What would you suggest ? I need the perfect all-rounder that breathes well at any depth and that doesnt free-flow in icy conditions.

Has anyone ever used the ATX200 or Legend LX Supreme in Ice Diving before also, how did they perform ? Any problems or issues ? How is the maintenance costs compared between both of these regs ??

My last dive at a popular divesite, found the purge cover at the gear wash shower, looks like the guys reg fell apart, but I haven't used one myself, but that wasn't a likely place for someone to service their reg, suspect to me.

I have a Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and it has worked for the dives that I have done with it, as a note I just bought it so I have only done 3 dives with it but two of them there was 3degrees celcius. Worked very well and did not freeflow or freeze or anything.

I suggest a ATX50 with a DS4 din first stage Breathes just as nice as the 200 and hose routing will be better for technical diving in the future. Plus it's cheaper to :eyebrow:

DS tank wipe:
I suggest a ATX50 with a DS4 din first stage Breathes just as nice as the 200 and hose routing will be better for technical diving in the future. Plus it's cheaper to :eyebrow:

I have heard alot of people are using the DS4 Din First Stage, how does this compare to the ATX200 first stage ? I have heard from many dive stores that the ATX50 and ATX200 are mechnically the same except for the size of the second stage.

I am taking a ATX200 out for a test drive this weekend and hopefully it will be a good reg, if it is I will more and likely purchase one of these.

However, one bad experience was I was playing around with a Apeks Black Pearl during my Divemaster course, which was connected to my Instructors tank on my side of the pool and lightly pressed the purge value after taking a breath from it and the reg free flowed a huge amount (sounded like a jet fighter taking off) and drained almost 3/4 of his tank by the time I could turn it off about 12 seconds later. I couldnt believe it and he mentioned that they were quite sensitive, the same with the ATX200.. has anyone had this issue ?

I believe it was becuase of the Turbo Jet (think it is called) inside these regs to assist with breathing... however all it did was assisting in draining the tank dead... now if that happens on a Ice Dive or Deep Dive, you would be totally screwed as you probably wouldnt have enough air left to do your safety stop.

tjsmith1979:
... now if that happens on a Ice Dive or Deep Dive, you would be totally screwed as you probably wouldnt have enough air left to do your safety stop.

I would hope your buddy would be there to help you with that.

SpawnOfZena:
I would hope your buddy would be there to help you with that.

Yes, they would be there in a perfect world... good point but I dont like to rely on that, when you dive you need to know how to look after yourself, that is why they teach you your emergency ascent if you are totally out of air just incase that happens... what happens if your lose contact with your buddy or that he is already at the surface. Any good diver knows that you have to learn to be independant and know what to do if there is an emergency... Stop, think and then act !

But that is something totally else, I was asking if anyone has had these regs or any problems with these ?

However, one bad experience was I was playing around with a Apeks Black Pearl during my Divemaster course, which was connected to my Instructors tank on my side of the pool and lightly pressed the purge value after taking a breath from it and the reg free flowed a huge amount (sounded like a jet fighter taking off) and drained almost 3/4 of his tank by the time I could turn it off about 12 seconds later. I couldnt believe it and he mentioned that they were quite sensitive, the same with the ATX200.. has anyone had this issue ?

I believe it was becuase of the Turbo Jet (think it is called) inside these regs to assist with breathing... however all it did was assisting in draining the tank dead... now if that happens on a Ice Dive or Deep Dive, you would be totally screwed as you probably wouldnt have enough air left to do your safety stop.[/QUOTE]

No problem, if you move the venturi lever to the "-" (off) position, it instantly stops the free flow. I only move the lever to the "+" when I am actually diving. This is a common occurence with most regs using a venturi adjustment. The off position redirects the incoming gas flow so that the venturi effect doesn't pull in the demand diaphragm.

Greg Barlow

DS tank wipe:

.........and agree with this statement completly. I love my ATX 200 but can find no reasons how or why it is better than the ATX 50. So save your money and enjoy the Atx50.

Good Diving,

Dave

SterlingDiver:
.........and agree with this statement completly. I love my ATX 200 but can find no reasons how or why it is better than the ATX 50. So save your money and enjoy the Atx50.

Good Diving,

Dave

I have tried the ATX200 and absolutely love it, it is a great and easy breathing reg. I havent tried the ATX50 but know someone that is using a ATX200 with ATX50 Octy, which I am trying out this weekend when we go deep diving only to 35msw but still should give me an idea.

What is so great about the DS4 First Stage... compared to the standard ATX50 First Stage ?? Also, if the ATX50 and ATX200 are basically the same mechnically and performance wise, is that also the same for the ATX100 and ATX200 ? What are the differences between these models ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom