Attitudes Toward DIR Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zach The Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some observations I’ve had on some Facebook groups including- ironically- the DiveTalk one, is that people in the dive community will write off DIR-minded divers as egotistical, unhelpful, and aloof… yet when they do offer their perspective on something, it’s immediately shot down and written off as elitism.

These principles are “tech-centric”. They can help divers at any level.

Then you wonder why these people are apparently “aloof” and don’t want to talk to you to begin with?

Some observations I’ve had on some Facebook groups including- ironically- the DiveTalk one, is that people in the dive community will write off DIR-minded divers as egotistical, unhelpful, and aloof… yet when they do offer their perspective on something, it’s immediately shot down and written off as elitism.

Then you wonder why these people are apparently “aloof” and don’t want to talk to you to begin with?
The info offered is often provided as the only correct way. That gets tiresome, not to mention wrong.

I wonder if their name could possibly indicate or insinuate in any way that others are Doing It Wrong?

Many divers are very passionate about seeing stuff underwater but suck at diving, lack basic diving skills or can only dive in specific locations. Most divers treat diving as a hobby and don't care if they are silty seahorses. People into DIR-style of diving are on the other hand also very passionate about (obsessed with) the skills element, even though the skills are simply not required to look at pretty fish.

Telling someone "you are doing your hobby wrong", especially from a position of DIR evangelist, is usually not welcomed, especially if the target of the comment has never encountered serious (tech) training. It's a culture mismatch. It's hard to understand why something works in a certain way until you are stuck in a cave and most people never go into a cave.

Maybe someone should start up an agency titled....(DIL).... "Doing It Left". Kinda like NASCAR....they always go left.

I don't do Farcebook. How's that for elitism?

Often the DIR mantra is that there is only one way to safely execute the dive. This goes against the majority of rec divers who just want to go down and enjoy the views. Team diving, stringent gear requirements, and unnecessary stops on ascent are off putting.

I’ve taken 2 things from group. I switched to a BP/W and a long hose. Even though I probably will never do tech diving, it’s simpler, I use less lead, it’s actually more comfortable and my profile is more streamlined. Other than that I do whatever I want.

I wonder if their name could possibly indicate or insinuate in any way that others are Doing It Wrong?
It was indeed a poor name that could be construed as you point out. Probably one reason why GUE doesn't use the term DIR anymore. I don't know if UTD uses it. I don't like to use it myself. But the problem is nobody has come up with an alternative that has gained any traction. Maybe something like "Team Diving," which is part of UTD's name, would be better? "Team" sounds friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom