Attention Thailand dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fundamentally in my experience problems such as those being discussed is short sightedness on the part of the DC. When a days diving is planned for instance and maybe a party of snorklers or some dsd's book in, or vice versa, destinations may be changed to suit the latter customer bookings.
Would it not be better policy to suggest to the latter customers, it may be better you come another day as our destination tomorrow is not suitable for your activity, yes admittedly they run the risk of these people going to another shop, but on the other hand they run the risk of upsetting the customers that have their booked destination changed.
Its a choice only each individual shop can make, take the max ammount of money in the short term and risk upsetting customers and potentially losing repeat business. Or be up front with people and maybe risk losing some potential customers.
I know everyone is in business to make money, and each shop will have their own aproach to such dilemna's. But from my personal point of view I will return to shops that are honest, even if at times the facts are not what I want to hear. But I never return to somewhere that has told me lies or wild exagerations and after I leave feeling cheated.
Also an unhappy customer will never make recomendations, usually quite the contrerary.

Fully agree, the problem that you will encounter is that shops try to maximize profits and than you get a situation in which somebody will or may be unhappy rather than being upfront with the customers.

Serious dc's will quickly distinguish themselves from their counterparts.

I've always had a simple procedure if a trip can't go to a the designated site for whatever reason,

The diver can:

1/ Join the trip to an alternative site and make the most of it

2/ be credited and try again at a later date, get a ride back to the hotel

3/ full refund , get a ride back to the hotel

Obviously the options need to put forward before the boat leaves, preferably before the divers arrive or the diver will probably complain he was rousted from his pit for no reason, but seems fair and has always worked for me.

Way to go!

Honesty is really what any diver expects....

Last edited:
I've always had a simple procedure if a trip can't go to a the designated site for whatever reason,

The diver can:

1/ Join the trip to an alternative site and make the most of it

2/ be credited and try again at a later date, get a ride back to the hotel

3/ full refund , get a ride back to the hotel

Obviously the options need to put forward before the boat leaves, preferably before the divers arrive or the diver will probably complain he was rousted from his pit for no reason, but seems fair and has always worked for me.

Quite a simple system and as far as I am concerned 100% fair for all concerned.
This is in my mind how all shops should treat their customers, but all too often it is not the case.
As I have said in another post I will always respect people that are honest even if at times the facts are not what I want to hear. But have absolutely no respect for those that exagerate, tell lies and cheat me, in order to make a quick profit.

Sadly I have to agree with most of this thread. My previous bad experiences at Pattaya shops are documented on here in other threads.
At the time I was told by so many on here that my experiences were not typical, but am afraid that I have recently dived in Koh Chang and found things to be along the same sort of theme as my Pattaya experiences.
Again I was promissed so much when the days diving was sold to me, but what I recieved was so different. The dive guide and the 2 dives I was taken on can only be described as a joke.
Couple this with my previous 5 out of 5 bad experiences in Pattaya I simply did the one days 'diving' and called it a day and enjoyed the rest of my holiday doing other things.

Sadly I have to agree with most of this thread. My previous bad experiences at Pattaya shops are documented on here in other threads.
At the time I was told by so many on here that my experiences were not typical, but am afraid that I have recently dived in Koh Chang and found things to be along the same sort of theme as my Pattaya experiences.
Again I was promissed so much when the days diving was sold to me, but what I recieved was so different. The dive guide and the 2 dives I was taken on can only be described as a joke.
Couple this with my previous 5 out of 5 bad experiences in Pattaya I simply did the one days 'diving' and called it a day and enjoyed the rest of my holiday doing other things.

Koh Chang isn't really a dive destination. Sure, there are some reefs, fish, submerged rocks and even a wreck or two but it really isn't all that interesting for certified divers. The water is very nutrient rich (read: murky) most of the time and the marine life diversity isn't all that tremendous either. I think it's an ok place to do a beginners course and maybe a fun-dive or two for those who really want to get wet.

It is a MUST see place for those who adore sea-urchins and rubble....

Let me guess: you were promised lush reefs filled with fish, excellent visibility and a good chance on manta rays and whale-sharks?

Let me guess: you were promised lush reefs filled with fish, excellent visibility and a good chance on manta rays and whale-sharks?

Not at all, I was simply promissed a good days diving, but unfortunately my issue is with the staff yet again.

Believe it or not my only experience of Koh Chang was 25m + visibility, a whale shark and black tips. I was more than happy

I think you were extremely lucky that day.
Koh Chang as I know it (and it's been a few years ago since I last went there), is a great holiday destination but in general a rather poor dive destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom