Attention Thailand dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would it be fair to rate dive companies every 6 months or so on this forums based on comments and experinces from regulars? Or would that be taking things a bit too far?

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience diving with whoever it was in Thailand, but can I suggest you name names rather than make comments like "Dive Operators in Thailand" which pretty much drags the whole of Thailand into disrepute. If you have a problem with certain individuals or dive operators then please make it clear who they are so that other divers can avoid them if they wish, especially if they use the tactics that you're suggesting, Thailand would be better off without them. .

Hi Chris,

First of all, I don't think the poster, JonJonboo (or anyone), should be compelled to "name names" if they don't wish to.

Second, JonJonboo certainly has a right to make a blanket, overly general statement about dive centers in Thailand if that is his/her opinion as a customer who dives here. I agree his (or her) statement is overly broad, but on the other hand, the replies by dive shops are also overly broad and too defensive. We need to make progress in customer service, not just fan the flames.

The point JonJonboo, LK and other diver-customers are seemingly trying to make is that the experience of many divers in Thailand is that the dive shops are basically out to "take their money", and the cause kinda appears (from the customer perspective) to be from single boat operators with a diverse range of customers/divers on the boat from snorkelers, to beginning students, to advanced divers students to experienced divers. The more experienced and advanced divers simply want to get the dives they paid for (not the "bait-and-switch", no refunds) we diver-customers are experiencing. After all, we actually pay for this recreational sport, and we pay good money to do it.

I think the better approach/reply as a dive center operator in Thailand is, instead of putting the original posters, for example JonJonboo, LK or others, on the defensive, DCs should clearly state their dive center policies, and why they insure customer-divers will not be subject to the unsatisfactory experiences they are having with other with dive centers. Dive centers should have a published set of "guiding principles" regarding their approach to customer service and a published set of policies. I am happy to write the first draft of both if it helps.

There does seem to be a recurring theme in this forum of "put the diver-customers on the defensive" and this, I think, is precisely the point that JonJonboo is attempting to make (albeit a bit brash, out of frustration, I assume). Replies to these posts could be perceived as another "let's turn the spot light back on the customer and get the hot lights off the dive centers" versus a clear "here is our policies that insure customers are happy" ... which I do think is the more productive and professional approach. Customers pay for dives. Dive centers need to listen and compete based on superior customer service (because the reefs and the water are nearly the same for every dive center. H2O is H2O and fish are fish!).

So, my suggestion to all dive centers in Thailand is to really listen to these customers and clearly state your policies that insure that divers:

(1) Get the dives they are booking with your shops;
(2) Notify divers well in advance when the dive plans agreed to changes;
(3) Gladly offer to refund the diver-customer's money when dive plans change.

And please note, this is not about weather and safety related issues. Customers understand changes related to weather and current conditions. What is frustrating to customers is when dive plans change because of "who has booked that day", not "what storm is approaching".

From what I have seen, the issue seems to be dive centers with a single boat and a diversity of customer skill levels and "desirements" on the boat that day, which causes dive plans to change in a way where dive-customers are not getting the dives they pay for and not not getting prompt, friendly offers for refunds, free future dives, etc. (in other words, good customer service).

I think what is best for diving in Thailand is for dive centers to clearly state their overarching guidelines and policies toward customer service that differentiates them from others. This is a much better approach than turning the spot light on the unhappy customers when they voice their very important customer experiences.

As I said, I am more than happy to draft both:

(1) Overarching Guiding Principles for Customer Service; and
(2) Dive Center Policies Toward Customer Service

and we can use these (1) Overarching Principles and (2) Policies to improve the customer-diver experience in Thailand. I think this should be all of our mutual goals (diver-customers, diver-interns, and dive-center operators), to improve diving in Thailand, to improve the customer experience, and to create a framework that is a path forward for everyone. (and of course to advance and improve the state-of-diving in Thailand)

I personally prefer the larger boats and Thai food over the Caribbean and Florida experiences I've had. Although I love Florida diving, the whole setting on Thai boats is more enjoyable. No dig on the FL operators, just a different set up. Things tend to be less rushed as well.
Have to agree for the most part. Dived with three shops on my most recent trip to Thailand this March/April, two in Phuket and one in Pattaya. Had a couple of dives I wouldn't care to repeat but most of them were great and I thought all three shops ran professional, safe operations. Certainly matched or exceeded Key Largo and Cozumel in that regard.

Last year did have the experience of doing two dives with one of the larger resorts on Koh Tao and deciding it was not safe for me to dive with them, but that was definitely the exception. Bit of a bummer, given it is a hassle getting to Koh Tao.

Hi Chris,

First of all, I don't think the poster, JonJonboo (or anyone), should be compelled to "name names" if they don't wish to.

Second, JonJonboo certainly has a right to make a blanket, overly general statement about dive centers in Thailand if that is his/her opinion as a customer who dives here. I agree his (or her) statement is overly broad, but on the other hand, the replies by dive shops are also overly broad and too defensive. We need to make progress in customer service, not just fan the flames.

The point JonJonboo, LK and other diver-customers are seemingly trying to make is that the experience of many divers in Thailand is that the dive shops are basically out to "take their money", and the cause kinda appears (from the customer perspective) to be from single boat operators with a diverse range of customers/divers on the boat from snorkelers, to beginning students, to advanced divers students to experienced divers. The more experienced and advanced divers simply want to get the dives they paid for (not the "bait-and-switch", no refunds) we diver-customers are experiencing. After all, we actually pay for this recreational sport, and we pay good money to do it.

I think the better approach/reply as a dive center operator in Thailand is, instead of putting the original posters, for example JonJonboo, LK or others, on the defensive, DCs should clearly state their dive center policies, and why they insure customer-divers will not be subject to the unsatisfactory experiences they are having with other with dive centers. Dive centers should have a published set of "guiding principles" regarding their approach to customer service and a published set of policies. I am happy to write the first draft of both if it helps.

There does seem to be a recurring theme in this forum of "put the diver-customers on the defensive" and this, I think, is precisely the point that JonJonboo is attempting to make (albeit a bit brash, out of frustration, I assume). Replies to these posts could be perceived as another "let's turn the spot light back on the customer and get the hot lights off the dive centers" versus a clear "here is our policies that insure customers are happy" ... which I do think is the more productive and professional approach. Customers pay for dives. Dive centers need to listen and compete based on superior customer service (because the reefs and the water are nearly the same for every dive center. H2O is H2O and fish are fish!).

So, my suggestion to all dive centers in Thailand is to really listen to these customers and clearly state your policies that insure that divers:

(1) Get the dives they are booking with your shops;
(2) Notify divers well in advance when the dive plans agreed to changes;
(3) Gladly offer to refund the diver-customer's money when dive plans change.

And please note, this is not about weather and safety related issues. Customers understand changes related to weather and current conditions. What is frustrating to customers is when dive plans change because of "who has booked that day", not "what storm is approaching".

From what I have seen, the issue seems to be dive centers with a single boat and a diversity of customer skill levels and "desirements" on the boat that day, which causes dive plans to change in a way where dive-customers are not getting the dives they pay for and not not getting prompt, friendly offers for refunds, free future dives, etc. (in other words, good customer service).

I think what is best for diving in Thailand is for dive centers to clearly state their overarching guidelines and policies toward customer service that differentiates them from others. This is a much better approach than turning the spot light on the unhappy customers when they voice their very important customer experiences.

As I said, I am more than happy to draft both:

(1) Overarching Guiding Principles for Customer Service; and
(2) Dive Center Policies Toward Customer Service

and we can use these (1) Overarching Principles and (2) Policies to improve the customer-diver experience in Thailand. I think this should be all of our mutual goals (diver-customers, diver-interns, and dive-center operators), to improve diving in Thailand, to improve the customer experience, and to create a framework that is a path forward for everyone. (and of course to advance and improve the state-of-diving in Thailand)

Excellent post funrecdiver and I agree on your reasoning.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the complaints are coming from one specific destination in Thailand however, namely Pattaya. However, many regular posters here also have good experiences diving Pattaya on a regular base, including myself.

Excellent post funrecdiver and I agree on your reasoning.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the complaints are coming from one specific destination in Thailand however, namely Pattaya. However, many regular posters here also have good experiences diving Pattaya on a regular base, including myself.

Thanks. My offer still stands to create a thread where we first collaboratively draft a set of "Overarching Guiding Principles for Customer Service for Dive Centers" which would lead to a set of "Dive Center Customer Service Policies", which could be used as a template for any dive shop, free of charge :D

Also, I don't think we will make much progress if we go down the path of "who had a good experience" and "who did not have a good experience" or "I like big boats" v. "I like smaller boats" or "I like Thai food". These important regional issues are different than the discussion on customer service principles and policies.

Instead of rehashing a seemingly endless debate and opening old wounds, why not put that behind us and develop a progressive framework to move forward and advanced the state-of-diving and customer service in Thailand?

In response to a private message I received asking that dive centers should "clearly state their overarching guidelines and policies toward customer service that differentiates them from others" I would like to state that Aqua Visions Policy for customer satisfaction follows the principal that Aqua Vision guests...

(1) Always... Get the dives they are booking with our shops;
(2) Are always.. Notified well in advance in the unlikely event that dive plans need to be changed;
(3) Are always.. Offered a refund if we cannot dive as advertised.

Our mission goal is...
“Aqua Visions goal is to provide exciting diving, snorkeling and learning opportunities through high quality education and high standards of guest service with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, our main priority being a safe, relaxing and fun experience for each of our guests.”

And our stated and delivered policy is…

Small Dive Groups!!
Sick of looking at someone else fins? Our maximum group size is four divers with one guide - Dive with Aqua Vision and you’ll see a lot more of what you came to see - Krabis amazing abundance of aquatic-life!

Competent Professional & Friendly.
You can rely on our instructors, dive guides and boat crews to make your scuba experience in Thailand one that you’ll never want to forget for all the right reasons. No tips expected!

High Quality Diver Education
In all of our PADI and Technical dive courses, we will never compromise or cut corners. Our aim is to produce divers of the highest caliber, not only to maintain our standards, but for your safety and peace of mind and for the care & protection of the underwater world.

Safe & Clean Equipment.
Aqua Visions clean & well maintained dive & snorkel equipment works and is safe. Always.

…Quality Without Compromise

Whether all of this differentiates us from the majority of other dive centers in Krabi, or elsewhere in Thailand I think is unlikely, although obviously is from the ones being referred to.

In response to a private message I received asking that dive centers should "clearly state their overarching guidelines and policies toward customer service that differentiates them from others" I would like to state that Aqua Visions Policy for customer satisfaction follows the principal that Aqua Vision guests...

(1) Always... Get the dives they are booking with our shops;
(2) Are always.. Notified well in advance in the unlikely event that dive plans need to be changed;
(3) Are always.. Offered a refund if we cannot dive as advertised.

Our mission goal is...
“Aqua Visions goal is to provide exciting diving, snorkeling and learning opportunities through high quality education and high standards of guest service with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, our main priority being a safe, relaxing and fun experience for each of our guests.” ........

Hi Chris,

Thanks! Excellent reply. Thanks for sharing your overall principles and policies. Sounds like a dive shop most of us would like to dive with. Thanks again. Great job on both guiding principles, mission statement and policies.

Fundamentally in my experience problems such as those being discussed is short sightedness on the part of the DC. When a days diving is planned for instance and maybe a party of snorklers or some dsd's book in, or vice versa, destinations may be changed to suit the latter customer bookings.
Would it not be better policy to suggest to the latter customers, it may be better you come another day as our destination tomorrow is not suitable for your activity, yes admittedly they run the risk of these people going to another shop, but on the other hand they run the risk of upsetting the customers that have their booked destination changed.
Its a choice only each individual shop can make, take the max ammount of money in the short term and risk upsetting customers and potentially losing repeat business. Or be up front with people and maybe risk losing some potential customers.
I know everyone is in business to make money, and each shop will have their own aproach to such dilemna's. But from my personal point of view I will return to shops that are honest, even if at times the facts are not what I want to hear. But I never return to somewhere that has told me lies or wild exagerations and after I leave feeling cheated.
Also an unhappy customer will never make recomendations, usually quite the contrerary.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience diving with whoever it was in Thailand, but can I suggest you name names rather than make comments like "Dive Operators in Thailand" which pretty much drags the whole of Thailand into disrepute. If you have a problem with certain individuals or dive operators then please make it clear who they are so that other divers can avoid them if they wish, especially if they use the tactics that you're suggesting, Thailand would be better off without them. .

The problem is with naming names. People spit dummies and complain. Then SB moderators get involved and complain that you have made personal comments and start deleting posts.
I agree entirely with your post but that in my experience is the situation on these forums, also each individual has the right to raise concerns in the manner that they feel is most appropriate, even if others dont agree with their methods.
In my mind it would be much more productive if those in the industry listened to customers concerns and adressed them, then there would be no need or place on SB for such discussions as this.
Having said that I am fully aware that there are reputable dc's that take care of their customers well, and I as yourself am in favour of naming names both good and bad then hopefully the good DC's will benefit and the bad ones will change their ways or die.
This could only benefit all concerned in the Thai diving industry, both the good shops and customers.

I've always had a simple procedure if a trip can't go to a the designated site for whatever reason,

The diver can:

1/ Join the trip to an alternative site and make the most of it

2/ be credited and try again at a later date, get a ride back to the hotel

3/ full refund , get a ride back to the hotel

Obviously the options need to put forward before the boat leaves, preferably before the divers arrive or the diver will probably complain he was rousted from his pit for no reason, but seems fair and has always worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom