Attention manufacturers: This is what a dive computer should be like in 2009!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for updates, I've heard some people buy an X1 + VPM just to use the thing in gauge mode.

I've actually found it completely unnecessary to put the thing in gauge mode. The VPM decompression information is so inoffensive that I let it run, and from time to time, peer curiously at it to see what it is doing. Since the computer will not lock you out, even if you don't follow its recommendations, there really is no penalty to letting VPM run. I was fascinated to see, last weekend, that despite the fact that I never gas switched the computer (so it thought I did the whole dives on 25/25) I cleared VPM's deco obligation before I surfaced. This was some interesting information on how conservative the assumptions that RD makes really are, at least for dives in the T1 range.

...why don´t you do like most of your competitors do and block the computer on gauge for the next 24 or 48h after it was used on that mode to avoid those problems?
Oh, Geez, please DON'T do this! Be different! Don't treat your customers like babies or imbeciles! After all, we'd all just dive the craptacular Suunto's if we wanted a bunch of non-diving lawyers dreaming up restrictions and unchangeable defaults for our dive computers or gauges.

I've actually found it completely unnecessary to put the thing in gauge mode. The VPM decompression information is so inoffensive that I let it run, and from time to time, peer curiously at it to see what it is doing. Since the computer will not lock you out, even if you don't follow its recommendations, there really is no penalty to letting VPM run. I was fascinated to see , last weekend, that despite the fact that I never gas switched the computer (so it thought I did the whole dives on 25/25) I cleared VPM's deco obligation before I surfaced. This was some interesting information on how conservative the assumptions that RD makes really are, at least for dives in the T1 range.
Sounds great! I'd own two if they'd work with my Mac.

as far aws I understood the uemis doesn´t block at all even if you do really stupid things and you can use it as a gauge mode computer the problem is that it will keep pestring you with all kind of warnigs every few minutes

Oh, Geez, please DON'T do this! Be different! Don't treat your customers like babies or imbeciles! After all, we'd all just dive the craptacular Suunto's if we wanted a bunch of non-diving lawyers dreaming up restrictions and unchangeable defaults for our dive computers or gauges.

Sounds great! I'd own two if they'd work with my Mac.

You may have to get your wallet out, if I understand correctly, they work off of a web site, so the computer does not matter..just havng an internet program that will work does...

I wasnt going to fess up to this fact, but....

I have ordered one of these Uemis computers from their website and I guess I will be their first US customer. So far I have had excellent communications with Ernie (SB board name Uemis) who informed me today that it is on the way. I picked the fastest shipping option as I plan on using it during our upcoming trip to Curacao in two weeks. I hope to have a chance to dive with it locally before that, so I'll post up my impressions (purely recreational with Air or Nitrox) as soon as possible.
Typically I am a sucker for new technology, but this purchase was mainly motivated by my experience two weeks ago of diving to 100' under an overhang and being unable to read my Vytec DS,via either the backlight (worthless) or a dive light (too much glare off the face shield). The X1 does not have AI which I have developed a fondness for, so the Uemis was a very attractive, albeit expensive, option.

Mintaka, when you get it post up some screens :wink:

Yes, the uemis ZURICH won't block, but it will show a "Do Not Dive" time and a big warning, if the last dive was ended without the decompression done.

I agree -- the OLED display is the ONLY way to go in a computer, for my money, especially for those of us who have achieved a certain age.

I'll be very interested in a customer review, once you have your unit and have a chance to dive it.

Yes, we are planning to sell the product via a number of serious and reliable dealers in the US. We are currently looking for agents who know the market and ar able to find the best dealers for us. We intend to be at the DEMA show in Orlando in November.

I agree -- the OLED display is the ONLY way to go in a computer, for my money, especially for those of us who have achieved a certain age.

I'll be very interested in a customer review, once you have your unit and have a chance to dive it.

Yes... I left that part out... about the age . Blaming the computer instead of my old eyes :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom