Attention, Great Lakes Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly we need some good wreck pics on the site...and I also like the idea of including the "industrial worker" since a good portion of the ships that are lost in the lakes have a "working class" history....

And we gots to bring back the McCaw birds that disappeared during the upgrade...I miss the birds

Big-T-2538:
Clearly we need some good wreck pics on the site...and I also like the idea of including the "industrial worker" since a good portion of the ships that are lost in the lakes have a "working class" history....

I had some very good pictures of the Eber Ward sent to me just the other day. I have personally taken some decent ones of the Monrovia, Grecian, and Sandusky. Alas, my best wreck photography is probably from my dives on the Arabia and while a Great Lakes dive, that is more in the area of our Ontario branch. All wreck photos are welcome, so long as they aren't copyrighted. I would think that we could make quite the photo gallery.

One more thought, I like the construction worker idea. But, IMHO, let's keep the wrecking ball out. We preserve our wrecks due to the cold, fresh water up here, not take artifacts. The wrecking ball has connotations of actually doing damage to me. The rest of you may disagree on that.

And Nitroxbabe.... you have a point about the lowly Zebra Mussel. But so many divers up here hate them, LOL.

I have 1 good pic of the figure head on the Sandusky....I think that is all I got from my trip in Aug. of last year that is worth looking at.

I am hoping marvintpa sticks some of his photos in there...he and vlada (I'm guessing that's the dive team) have posted some fabulous wreck pics on TDS....I mean some absolutley beautiful shots.

his gallery is here

bradymsu:
Add me too if you could. I have a cool deadeye gif (not a photo) to use as a logo is you still need one.

... you posted. If you have any other good ideas, let us know. I have some deadeye pictures, but they are photos from the Arabia.

If it is not to late, please consider my son James (aka The Frog) and myself for consideration into the club. I know that we will be planning at least one Great Lakes Diving trip this year.

Now that I know we have a forum for Great Lakes Diving I will search it daily. On another note do you have to own a drysuit to be a member of the club?

I don't need no stinking drysuit!

Mitten Diver

...you'd be diving in a dry suit. Brian and Dave and I were down at Gilboa just a couple weeks ago (3 January) and made three dives in about 5 hours time. Water was 40 degrees and the air was a balmy 54 or so at the high for the day. To do that in a wet suit takes some planning that is not necessary in a dry suit.

I know a lot of folks who dive in wet suits in Michigan, but not too many who are willing to make multiple dives in the cold water we find up here.

Welcome to the club to you and yours. Look forward to seeing you at the first annual "Get aquainted" dive at Gilboa on the 17th of April.

Mitten Diver:
. On another note do you have to own a drysuit to be a member of the club?

I don't need no stinking drysuit!

Mitten Diver

Hey Tom, one of my favorite dive buddies dives wet! I don't think that he feels the cold.

Me, I am an admitted WWW who choses to dive cold water most of the time because of the Great Diving in the Great Lakes. So a drysuit is a must for me and my diving preferences.

I hope to see all the posters here at our little get together at Gilboa. That includes Mitten Diver and son.

Let's start getting back with website/logo (as in tee-shirt, hats, etc.)/ mascot ideas. I plan to pester NetDoc again as soon as we get these things settled so that we can have a central place to show off our photos and good times.

...Cldwdiver (Dave) as our mascot! He's small and round and furry and of the right temper to be a good mascot. Loves good beer and has never been on a bad dive with old Dave! He is the the perfect answer for a good Great Lakes Mascot, we'll just get his face on our tee shirts and a motto that says, "I'll dive with Dave!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom