Attention Alabama Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to Elizabeth Brown, Executive Director of the Alabama Historical Commission, this morning and here are her comments:

The musket in question was in really good condition. It had been covered in mud and silt and was basically in an anaerobic environment. The old weapon contained both metal and wooden parts.

Texas A&M is allegedly world renoun at preserving maritime artifacts. They have more money than the Alabama Commission and have been working to preserve entire shipwrecks from the Texas coast.

The musket will be preserved by Texas A&M and then returned to Alabama for public display.

It has been preserved since recovery in distilled water and has not been allowed to dry. If it is allowed to dry in air the wood will quickly turn to powder. The folks in Texas will replace the moisture in the wood with a resin-like compound that will preserve it.

On its return to Alabama the musket will be placed on display at either Confederate Park in Clanton or in a museum in Selma.

I cannot make this appear right. The state didn't buy the musket, they didn't use it, they didn't lose it, and they didn't find it. Things are too complicated for my simple mind. You find something nobody lost and end up in court, and convicted of theft!

Hope things work out on the appeal. Nobody needs smething like this on their record.

Merry Christmas (might get arrested for that too!)
Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom